The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: Complete my first marathon in Chicago in October!! But since that seems so far away, I really think being disciplined and focused and making time for that first 3-4 weeks of training so that I can get staying on plan back in habit is really the true next goal. The journey to get to the marathon start line is going to be it's own race!!
Time isn't really a consideration...I'm sure we'll come up with a "wouldn't that be nice" finish time, but just completing it would be a bucket list life moment. And automatic PR!

I was inspired by the women's half PRs this weekend (not calling out names in case I miss someone. You know who you are.)

@LSUlakes please add the following:

@OldSlowGoofyGuy - 4/28 Tear Drop Half Marathon (1:51:59/ N/A)

I set a modern-day PR a year ago. 1:51:59 would be a new modern-day PR. I'm not in as good a shape as last year and about 8 pounds heavier. That's an advantage on a downhill course, right? I can't recall the details of the cannonball experiment. Something about it's different rolling downhill vs free fall.

Non-time related goals:
1. See if I can still run (relatively) fast.
2. Break out of my goal-less running rut.
3. Make a scouting run on this course for an all out PR attempt next year. Possibly on the pre-historic PR: 1:37:xx

upload_2018-4-24_12-1-27.png

ATTQOTD: Next big goal is a sub 5:00 marathon in October. After the gains in speed and endurance over the last year and a half, there should be no reason I can't get this done (as long as I can stay healthy). And I'm just going to say this out loud to you all - under ideal circumstances I believe I'm capable of a sub 4:30 marathon. :scared1:

Last edited:

Next goal is a 1/2 in a month, I would like to be 1:50 or under, mainly for WDW proof of time but also to just truly race something that I haven't done in eons due to injuries/mental blocks.
Then I have the Omaha marathon in September I want to break 4...eek

Marathon weekend registration is the greatest mystery of all when it will open, June 1 should give more info. But the races & dates are still going on so nothing to be worried about, it will open... eventually :)

I was inspired by the women's half PRs this weekend (not calling out names in case I miss someone. You know who you are.)

@LSUlakes please add the following:

@OldSlowGoofyGuy - 4/28 Tear Drop Half Marathon (1:51:59/ N/A)

I set a modern-day PR a year ago. 1:51:59 would be a new modern-day PR. I'm not in as good a shape as last year and about 8 pounds heavier. That's an advantage on a downhill course, right? I can't recall the details of the cannonball experiment. Something about it's different rolling downhill vs free fall.

Non-time related goals:
1. See if I can still run (relatively) fast.
2. Break out of my goal-less running rut.
3. Make a scouting run on this course for an all out PR attempt next year. Possibly on the pre-historic PR: 1:37:xx

View attachment 318857

Perhaps if you ran in one of those giant zorbs you could really test that course. For Science.
giphy.gif

ATTQOTD: I really hope to PR my half this Saturday. I've been training since February to try and make this happen. That's my immediate goal. PRs are always nice, but one specific reason for this is that I'd like to be in Wave 1 for Chicago in October. If the planets all align in October, maybe I can PR the marathon too. But getting in Wave 1 is the first planet I'd like to align.

ATTQOTD: My next goal is this Saturday at the Rock n' Roll Nashville half. I am hoping for a sub 1:50, current PR is 1:56. Super scary putting that out there, but apparently I am capable of it according to Coach @DopeyBadger...I just need to work on that confidence. LOL. I think I am going to shoot for a sub-4 marathon in December, current PR is 4:27. Long term goal is Boston (like when I am 60 and can qualify).

ATTQOTD: My next goal is this Saturday at the Rock n' Roll Nashville half. I am hoping for a sub 1:50, current PR is 1:56. Super scary putting that out there, but apparently I am capable of it according to Coach @DopeyBadger...I just need to work on that confidence. LOL. I think I am going to shoot for a sub-4 marathon in December, current PR is 4:27. Long term goal is Boston (like when I am 60 and can qualify).

I have been lurking on your journal and have no doubt that you will crush 1:50! You are my training role model as your paces are a notch faster than mine and you have been amazingly consistent in hitting your speed workouts. Believe in yourself; you can do it :) !

I have been lurking on your journal and have no doubt that you will crush 1:50! You are my training role model as your paces are a notch faster than mine and you have been amazingly consistent in hitting your speed workouts. Believe in yourself; you can do it :) !

Thank you so much! I always play it too conservatively in races, so I am trying to work on believing in myself and my training. Your encouragement really means so much to me and I so appreciate it!

I'd love to join in this thread! I used to run quite a bit, then 2 babies in 2.5 years happened and I gained a bit of weight and lost a lot of spare time. I'm looking for a good double stroller that isn't too ridiculously expensive, but trying to justify a $600 stroller to my non-running fiance is kinda hard, especially when I'm not exactly on the move much these days (work+2 toddlers has been exhausting).

And to answer the QOTD: My next big goal is to get back out there. With my ultimate goal of Princess weekend 2019.

I'd love to join in this thread! I used to run quite a bit, then 2 babies in 2.5 years happened and I gained a bit of weight and lost a lot of spare time. I'm looking for a good double stroller that isn't too ridiculously expensive, but trying to justify a $600 stroller to my non-running fiance is kinda hard, especially when I'm not exactly on the move much these days (work+2 toddlers has been exhausting).

And to answer the QOTD: My next big goal is to get back out there. With my ultimate goal of Princess weekend 2019.

Welcome!
I wish I could help with the stroller question, but ... all I know about kids is that they cry and poop. Dont have any of my own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!