The Running Thread - 2016

That's me. I did the half in 2016. I was on an accidental alternating Goofy-Disney Half plan.

The slowness kicks in at longer distances! The Old is always there. When I look at my Athlinks page, which shows overall (non-age group) percentiles for each distance, I have this:

5k - 14.9%
10k - 29.2%
Half - 44.0%
Full - 73.9%

I would be interested is seeing what others show for that. Maybe just the spread from highest to lowest if you don't want to give actual percentiles. So I have a 59% spread between my highest and lowest.

Looks like my spread is 33% from my highest to lowest. I don't have an official 5K (all Disney ones) so the spread is probably a tad higher.

10K - 9.1%
Half - 27.8%
Full - 41.9%

I had an age grade % on my last 5k which I think was first time I've had one show up on results. I was going to ask about it but then totally forgot.
I was in the top 14% of my age division for that specific race but it had me at 46.44 % for age grade. So does that mean compared to people my age nationally or something? It was not my best race but I think due to the high heat it was no one's best race that day :)

If I'm at 46.44 for all women my age...I'm down with that :)

Funny enough I put in my age-graded PRs and got the following %.

5K - 59.82%
10K - 60.05%
Half - 59.08%
Full - 58.95%

Looks like I'm a pretty straight line across all of the distances.

Plugging in my recent 5k PR predicts a marathon of an hour+ less than my marathon PR (also recent). I've done 50 miles weeks (Hanson Brothers Advanced) in marathon training, with speed and tempo work, so I don't think lack of training is the issue. So not sure if this is a mental or physical thing (or most likely a combo). Anyone else out there with a big disconnect between your short and long race performances?

That's interesting. Were you a sprinter when you were younger? Genetically we are all predisposed with a ratio of different leg muscle fiber types. Some people have more speed oriented fibers and some people more endurance oriented fibers. They've shown over long periods of time (years) one can slowly transition from one to the other. My guess would be that even with the high level of Hansons training that your body might be one that is just more built for speed than endurance.

A-ha they do make age calculators...of course.
@DopeyBadger - nice %'s!

My 5k best is 52.04%
My 10k best is 45.6% - makes sense...I've only ran one and it was not for speed. :)

Happy with my %'s...if I'm not "local class" than I will say I'm "street class"...I'm probably at least top 5 fastest person who lives on my street. Well maybe the right side of the street...there's two people who look like runners across the way from us :)

I didn't get to do my race yesterday due to lightning. :(

I also have an otterbox wallet case. I carry my driver's license, credit card and insurance card. I can also fit a couple bills in there, so if I have cash I will stick a $20 in there too. :)

Plugging in my recent 5k PR predicts a marathon of an hour+ less than my marathon PR (also recent). I've done 50 miles weeks (Hanson Brothers Advanced) in marathon training, with speed and tempo work, so I don't think lack of training is the issue. So not sure if this is a mental or physical thing (or most likely a combo). Anyone else out there with a big disconnect between your short and long race performances?

Interesting. I know the equivalency formulas are never spot on for anyone, but that does seem like a pretty big disconnect. A few questions:
1. Was your goal marathon pace (the one that you used to determine the pacing for the Hansons Advanced plan) closer to your recent 5k equivalent marathon time or closer to your actual recent marathon time?
2. During your Hansons training cycle, were you able to make all paces (tempo, strength, and speed) according to your goal marathon pace?
3. Did you feel that your recent marathon went well? That is, did you more or less keep pace the entire time, or did you hit a wall at some point and significantly slow down? Were there any environmental conditions or elevation profile that made the recent marathon tougher? Overall, how did the recent marathon feel?

I'm either overly fast in my 5K time or overly slow in my 10K/HM times based on the calculator. :) I put in my 10K PR (1:13:39) and it had my HM time very close to my current PR (2:44:11 calculator value vs 2:45:08 real value).

But it had my 5K time at 35:28, which is much slower than my PR of 33:08. If I put in my 5K PR instead, it says 1:08:49 10K and 2:33:24 HM. That would be pretty nice! :)

When you run a 5k or 10k, you can run at a pace that exceeds their aerobic threshold without concern because you have enough glycogen stored to easily cover those distances. You still have to train at these distances to learn to pace yourself properly to avoid muscular failure, but you get many, many opportunities to run these distances so you really get a feel for what you can handle.

When the average runner (3+ hours to finish) runs a marathon, we have to stay just below our aerobic threshold or we will bonk. We will burn through our glycogen stores and hit the wall, even if we consume carbs on the course. We have to learn to do this by running long distances often enough to get good at it - to figure out exactly where that sweet spot is for you and stay in it. That means many runs at distances of 20+ miles.

Per the coaches that I have worked with - most average runners will never be able to run that far often enough to really get good at it, so they (we) will always under-perform at those distances. That is to say that we will not run as fast as our training should have allowed us to run.

But if you do a lot of distance work, you will find that the race predictor "gap" will close.

Good morning folks. Hope everyone had a good weekend. I am a bit behind on the thread, so I hope I did not miss anything when I start to update the OP. My little 5k this weekend turned more into a "fun run" as the two days prior included hanging out by the pool, BBQ, and cold beers. Race morning before the sun was up it was already 80 with a heat index of 92! Ended up with a 23:07. First half split was @ a 6:56 pace and the second half 7:59. Overall it was a good weekend despite the not so great effort on the 5k.
I would take the BBQ and cold beer over busting my butt in a 92º 5K any day...#greatlifechoices Besides, 23:07 is still nothing to sneeze at, that's a great time Jerry!

That's me. I did the half in 2016. I was on an accidental alternating Goofy-Disney Half plan.

The slowness kicks in at longer distances! The Old is always there. When I look at my Athlinks page, which shows overall (non-age group) percentiles for each distance, I have this:

5k - 14.9%
10k - 29.2%
Half - 44.0%
Full - 73.9%

I would be interested is seeing what others show for that. Maybe just the spread from highest to lowest if you don't want to give actual percentiles. So I have a 59% spread between my highest and lowest.
Looks like some of my PR's are missing from Athlinks, but this is what it shows for me...regardless I have a negative spread (or should I call it a negative split ;) ) of -1.2%

5k - 27.7%
10k - 15.3%
Half - 19.2%
Full - 26.5%

I think those calculators that show predicted marathon finish times are flawed. I don't see where they account for character stops or Epcot beer lines. Just saying...
This is one of those posts where a simple 'Like' doesn't seem like enough :D

1. Was your goal marathon pace (the one that you used to determine the pacing for the Hansons Advanced plan) closer to your recent 5k equivalent marathon time or closer to your actual recent marathon time?
2. During your Hansons training cycle, were you able to make all paces (tempo, strength, and speed) according to your goal marathon pace?
3. Did you feel that your recent marathon went well? That is, did you more or less keep pace the entire time, or did you hit a wall at some point and significantly slow down? Were there any environmental conditions or elevation profile that made the recent marathon tougher? Overall, how did the recent marathon feel?
1. I already knew I had a big disconnect between 5k and marathon times, so I split the difference in setting training paces.
2. Hit or beat them all, and I mean all. I maybe only missed 2 runs (none of them SOS runs).
3. Very well. Slightly negative splits. No wall, flat course. Slightly warmer than desired.

I believe it is due to 2 things:
1. I am built more like a sprinter than a marathoner. I look more like Usain Bolt than Meb Keflezighi. (I am not saying I look like Usain Bolt, just more like. The way an ellipse looks more like a circle than a square. And yes, I know that circles are ellipses.)
2. I am a very cautious marathoner. I will finish a 5k and nearly pass out from the effort. I have not pushed myself that hard in a marathon.

I already knew I had a big disconnect between 5k and marathon times, so I split the difference in setting training paces.

Very well. Slightly negative splits. No wall, flat course. Slightly warmer than desired.

I am a very cautious marathoner. I will finish a 5k and nearly pass out from the effort. I have not pushed myself that hard in a marathon.

Okay, it sounds like you hit all your training goals for your goal marathon pace, but then you didn't try to run your marathon at goal marathon pace due to your conservative nature when it comes to the marathon. Is this correct? If so, it would be interesting to see what would happen if you started the marathon at your goal marathon pace. In theory, you should be able to maintain that pace based on your successful training cycle.

As an aerospace engineer (by education only), I appreciated your circle/ellipse comment.

Alright folks, I know its kinda late in the day for a QOTD, but here it goes:

QOTD: So its not so much a question but something I would like everyone here to try to do by the end of the week. The goal is to go to someone's training journal or W.I.S.H journal and post something positive to their wall. I remember when I first started out that each little bit of encouragement I received helped to keep me motivated to reaching my goals. Maybe one of our comments could be that little bit extra to get that person back on track or to dig deep to keep going, or maybe just a smile on their face.

QOTD: So its not so much a question but something I would like everyone here to try to do by the end of the week. The goal is to go to someone's training journal or W.I.S.H journal and post something positive to their wall. I remember when I first started out that each little bit of encouragement I received helped to keep me motivated to reaching my goals. Maybe one of our comments could be that little bit extra to get that person back on track or to dig deep to keep going, or maybe just a smile on their face.

Count me in!

I guess it might be a bit selfish, but honestly, when people post in my training journal, it makes me so happy. I also sometimes dig a little extra hard on training runs just so I have something mildly exciting to post on my training thread. Just wanted to share the experience!

Also just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread again! I've ran more these last two weeks with your inspiration and guidance then I have in the last 2 years (maybe 5 years...) and I hope that my little questions help with conversation and are not annoying! It truly does help!

Pretty cool that athlinks is a place to see the results of all your races, I've only done 3 so far (10k and 2 halfs last year) so here is my meager spread:

5k: -
10k: 24.3%
Half: 6.8%
Full: -

Dang, I hate home work! I just hope that there is no math required or @Keels is out. :teacher:

Thanks for the reminder. Before we switched boards around I did this regularly. Need to get back into that habit. I enjoy reading them, and love supporting my fellow runners.

If you do have one, do you know what type you got (any pros or cons to any of them? I know its just a wristband... but if its constricting or rubs... I'll be uncomfortable)

I have the one that goes on my shoe. I knew I would be likely to forget the wristband more times than I would remember, so I figured this was the best option for me.

I ran my first ever 10K this morning, the Revolutionary Run in Washington Crossing, PA. It was my longest run to date but I think I did pretty well. 6.5 miles in 1:23:16. Now that I know I can complete this, I'm on to the Rock n Roll Half! Woop woop!! :cool1: Happy 4th of July everyone!

Congratulations! Isn't a great feeling to reach a new milestone distance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter