The Running Thread - 2016

QOTD: So its not so much a question but something I would like everyone here to try to do by the end of the week. The goal is to go to someone's training journal or W.I.S.H journal and post something positive to their wall. I remember when I first started out that each little bit of encouragement I received helped to keep me motivated to reaching my goals. Maybe one of our comments could be that little bit extra to get that person back on track or to dig deep to keep going, or maybe just a smile on their face.

How funny, I was JUST thinking I'm a big slacker because there's one thread in particular that I've been meaning to read and post on for literally months now. Now I have the perfect excuse/motivation.

Thanks. Marisa (12) is more of a dancer but she is fast, so maybe she could become a runner. She's not much for pain so when it gets tough she might bail. Kara (8), she is my little freak of nature. I will sound like a bragging father here but this girl can do anything she wants physically. I have so much of it on video to prove it, otherwise people wouldn't believe it. Before her first birthday she used to do chin-ups on the kitchen table. When she did gymnastics at age 4-5, she could go from a headstand and push herself straight up unto a handstand.

I am just glad they had so much fun. I don't want to force this on them but if they love it and become runners it can only make them better people I would imagine, it has worked for me. I watched some of the video footage I took today and they were laughing most of the time, it's great.

So cool! I'm glad it was such s great experience. Strangely our daughters are very similar. Mine are just bit older but same distance apart at 9 and 13. Also it is my younger daughter who is the runner and my older daughter who is the dancer! Wierd!

I race 5k's with Bella and it is always a highlight for me. Congrats to you and your girls!

My husband makes fun of me for my mileage. I run exactly the mileage in my plan. No more. No less. If I'm not quite to my house, I'll stop and walk the rest of the way. If I haven't hit my miles, I'll do some loops in front of my driveway. He will tack on a little more or come up a little short (typically less than .2 of a mile).

So who's the weirdo? Me or him?

Well, I am more like you; so in the spirit of labeling, he is more weird than we are.

And since I switched to Strava, I go on a tad longer than I should because of GPS "smoothing".

I need to pop back out of lurking at some point to tell you what happens when you promise not to run any more marathons but then get bored...

Tell me please, because if I am still bored in October I'm afraid I'll sign up for another marathon. My family HEARD me say I wasn't going to do another one.

Per Athlinks:

5K: 61.9%
Half: 74%
8K: 64.1%
Full: 82.1%

If I did another full, it would give me a chance to better my statistics, yes? LOL.

@LSUlakes I'll do the homework this week :)

Well, my Athlinks numbers are nowhere near most you (HA). I totally forgot about this site, so what I do like about it is looking at the pace column gradually getting faster and faster (for the most part) as I move up the list. Pretty cool!

Athlinks:

5k: 80.5%
10k: 84.6%
15k: 98.8% (LOL. Stupid San Diego hills for Hot Chocolate)
Half: 84.2%

It will be nice to see some of these go down more. :)

Alright folks, I know its kinda late in the day for a QOTD, but here it goes:

QOTD: So its not so much a question but something I would like everyone here to try to do by the end of the week. The goal is to go to someone's training journal or W.I.S.H journal and post something positive to their wall. I remember when I first started out that each little bit of encouragement I received helped to keep me motivated to reaching my goals. Maybe one of our comments could be that little bit extra to get that person back on track or to dig deep to keep going, or maybe just a smile on their face.

Awesome QOTD! In lies the magic of this thread. I will do this tonight! First I have like 30 posts to read and 10 miles to run.

So cool! I'm glad it was such s great experience. Strangely our daughters are very similar. Mine are just bit older but same distance apart at 9 and 13. Also it is my younger daughter who is the runner and my older daughter who is the dancer! Wierd!

I race 5k's with Bella and it is always a highlight for me. Congrats to you and your girls!

Thank you. It was so fun. My kids are not normally at my races because my future ex hates that I run and will never bring the kids. So to be able to run with them, and see and hear them laugh the whole time was great. And I look at the pics I posted that first night where we are all holding up our medals and I can see the excitement in their faces, especially Kara, the 8 year old, it makes all the pain to get to that point worth it. I am 3 weeks from my surgery and I am even wondering if I will be able to run anymore. My ankle has gotten worse, and I hurt my right one during the 10K. I'm a mess right now. So if it was my last run it was great!

My Athlinks numbers are terrible... and also have gone up significantly lately? How does that even happen? I know my HM and 10K ones were lower before! Did like a ton of really fast people just start using the site? :confused: :)

5K - 75.1%
5M - 81.8%
10K - 93.1%
10M - 100% (yes really :D)
HM - 91.9%

I completely forgot about Athlinks and their results. I had to add a whole bunch more from the past few years. I also realized that in addition to missing my full from Disney in 2015, it's also missing several of my runs from Qatar and the UAE. Not really surprising, I guess. Here are my percentages from the top of the page:

Full - 51.8
Half - 38.9
10k - 40.4
5k - 35.9

OK, so I know you said to post on someone else's journal ... and I'm going to do that.

But I also want to say some things to posters here that DON'T have journals, and I think they deserve some internet love as well.

First up ... I don't think I ever gave @FFigawi enough credit for me getting through Dopey. He believed I could do it before even I could. He was around from registration day to Mile 24 of Marathon Day. Nobody believed in me more than he did in that endeavor - and I'm including myself in that group - and he only knew me just from this board. I've been able to accomplish everything I have thus far because I've had his coaching and his friendship. And I'm sure he's pretty tired of my constant b!+ching to him, but whatever.

Because of this board, I met @mbwhitti, who, as she says is the "same person, minus the beer".

I've gone through serious injury and rehab conversations with the amazing @Ariel484 - and she even took time out from her recent Disneyland vacation to see me at the half marathon finish line, a half that she SHOULD have been running if it weren't for an injury. Who does that?!?

I've been inspired by so many of you - @BuckeyeBama, @Waiting2goback, @CheapRunnerMike, @opusone, @DopeyBadger, @croach, @Slogger, @ZellyB, @PrincessV, @Barca33Runner to name a few. And I've been SO proud of many more - @rteetz, @roxymama, @Dis5150, @MeridaAndAngus ... each of you have brought so much to my life by just reading about your journeys and learning from your experiences. THANK YOU.

And then there's @LSUlakes, who is probably going to be mad that I left him for last AND I have nothing to say about LSU Football other than that my husband met Les Miles and he really is tiny in person. Thank you for creating this forum for all of us, of all levels and goals and drives, to talk - and, what's even tougher, for facilitating an amazing discussion every day between so many people.

PRs for everyone!!!

Hey Guys!

Looking for a tip from you guys who have been running for a while:

I'm running a 5k on Saturday. This will be my first 5k that I actually trained for. Looking for recommendations of how to train for it this before-race week.
Last week I ran 2.5 miles (at my pace, and a bit faster) without feeling too bad on the run. @DopeyBadger gave me the great advice of taking everything to a very slow pace to save my legs this week.

I ran 2 miles on Monday and 1 very slow mile on Tuesday. Was thinking of trying the whole 3.1 miles tonight at a very slow pace?

However this would be the longest I have ever ran, so I'm nervous if I ran the 3.1 tonight, even slow, maybe my legs would still get tired (of two or three days worth of tired/pain) but on the other hand, I would love to go into the race knowing I can definitely run the miles (and practice on the course).

(for the record my first 5k--which was literately me walking off my couch to running in a 5k, was definitely not an organized run. I started too fast. Was dying by the 1.5 turn around and did run/walk/run all the way back because breathing through the runs was impossible)

Thanks again for all the tips (and I hope my questions aren't annoying!)

I ran 2 miles on Monday and 1 very slow mile on Tuesday. Was thinking of trying the whole 3.1 miles tonight at a very slow pace?

However this would be the longest I have ever ran, so I'm nervous if I ran the 3.1 tonight, even slow, maybe my legs would still get tired (of two or three days worth of tired/pain) but on the other hand, I would love to go into the race knowing I can definitely run the miles (and practice on the course).

I don't know what your training has been over the last several weeks, but I think I would take it pretty easy this week. Since you ran Monday and Tuesday, maybe nothing tonight, then 1.5 tomorrow (slow), then either nothing on Friday (especially if it would be Friday evening with a Saturday morning race), or just do 10 minutes really slow on Friday if you really want to get out. For the 1.5 tomorrow, would it be possible to run the last 1.5 miles of the course (if you want practice on the course)?

Also, since you ran 2.5 miles last week, I wouldn't worry about making the distance. You will definitely be able to make 3.1 during a race. Just really focus on proper pacing the first mile, and you will be fine!

I missed the QOTD yesterday and it's such a good one...so I will be turning in my homework late today :)

I have to shout out to @Keels since I literally one day while in the depths of disboredom (new term I just made up when I'm bored so I go on disboards random threads) I saw that she was doing half marathons every month and I had just gotten the hair brained idea to run a disney race not too long before that. So I started a journal and made the proclamation that I would be doing exactly what Keels was doing but for 5ks. One a month. And I did it...because everyone here encouraged me. I could have easily given up a month or two in and just been like "Meh, too much work, on to the next thing" But here I am. So thank you Keels for being an internet stranger with the bravery to talk about trying something that seemed really hard and inspiring me to try something myself.

I am 3 weeks from my surgery and I am even wondering if I will be able to run anymore. My ankle has gotten worse, and I hurt my right one during the 10K. I'm a mess right now. So if it was my last run it was great!

I'm glad you're trying to stay positive, but this must pre-surgery time must be scary. We'll be here to support you through the whole thing! :)

And then there's @LSUlakes, who is probably going to be mad that I left him for last AND I have nothing to say about LSU Football other than that my husband met Les Miles and he really is tiny in person. Thank you for creating this forum for all of us, of all levels and goals and drives, to talk - and, what's even tougher, for facilitating an amazing discussion every day between so many people.

I am not sure why I would be mad... I lol at the Les thing, I just don't get the tiny thing. Hi isn't 4'-7" small, or very slim. At one point he was a OL so he had to have some size. Thanks for the mention! Keep up the good work with the running and your new goals!

This week we have the following folks with races:

09 - @Miranda - Old Port Half Marathon (2:45:00 / N/A)
09 - @huggybuff - Davis Moo-nlight 5k Run (44:00 / N/A)

Good luck to yall with your upcoming race this weekend! Let me know if you would like to adjust your goal time for the race. Have safe travels and a good race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter