The Running Thread—2023

I need to vent to people who would understand...

Driving home today, I heard a radio ad (yep, that's right) for a 5K and half marathon. It's a new race to be held in memory of a local tragedy and to benefit a scholarship fund. It sounded interesting because it is a) a cause that I would like to support and b) it would be perfect time for me to add a half marathon. I'm already going to have the fitness from the Springtime Surprise challenge and it would give me a month to both recover from SS and add the distance for a half. Perfect!

Then I looked at the website and it made my head hurt:
- It is two weeks before our city's flagship half marathon and marathon weekend. And two weeks after a smaller local half marathon. I get wanting to have it near the anniversary of the event - and if it was just a 5K, they could get away with it, but not for a half marathon.
- The course is 6 miles on local roads and then the last 7 miles are one-mile laps of the local park, taking place at the same time as the 5K race.

What could possibly go wrong with this?

I need to vent to people who would understand...

Driving home today, I heard a radio ad (yep, that's right) for a 5K and half marathon. It's a new race to be held in memory of a local tragedy and to benefit a scholarship fund. It sounded interesting because it is a) a cause that I would like to support and b) it would be perfect time for me to add a half marathon. I'm already going to have the fitness from the Springtime Surprise challenge and it would give me a month to both recover from SS and add the distance for a half. Perfect!

Then I looked at the website and it made my head hurt:
- It is two weeks before our city's flagship half marathon and marathon weekend. And two weeks after a smaller local half marathon. I get wanting to have it near the anniversary of the event - and if it was just a 5K, they could get away with it, but not for a half marathon.
- The course is 6 miles on local roads and then the last 7 miles are one-mile laps of the local park, taking place at the same time as the 5K race.

What could possibly go wrong with this?

Out of curiosity, what do you think they are "getting away with"? Drawing attention/runners away from the other two? Probably an issue if you think the running population can't support 3 races within that time frame. But reading your second point, I would say, why worry. That format sounds awful and I can't see how they can possibly manage that many runners on the same loop and also keep track of runner placement/finish. Hope whoever is running the race is experienced enough to make it work.

Out of curiosity, what do you think they are "getting away with"? Drawing attention/runners away from the other two? Probably an issue if you think the running population can't support 3 races within that time frame.
Not the OP (obviously) but I read “get away with it” as “could be successful as a fundraiser.”

And yeah. That race sounds like a logistics nightmare.

Anyone have any recs for scenic half marathons if I'm not really interested in getting a personal best out of it? I just want to run somewhere nice, preferably in the US this fall.
Mount Desert Island
Columbia Gorge
Jackson Hole

I’ve ran the full marathon of these, so it’s possible the more scenic areas could be in the part that the half doesn’t run. I do think that the half sections of these are still really scenic.

The first half of Pocatello was very scenic running down the canyon, but the second half wasn’t as much - so I’m not sure if the half course is good or not. I think that point in the race the sun was out, it was hot, there was no shade, my ankle hurt, and it was flat after running 13 miles downhill so it was hard. My perception of that half may be cloudy.

Post-race park timing question: On the 10k morning, Epcot Early Entry still shows 8:30. Will the World Showcase entrance be available at that hour? Could anyone who ran and attempted recently confirm their experience? I know that theoretically, with race starting at 5AM, Balloon Ladies starting at 6AM at the latest and running 16min/mile, the place should be cleared by 8AM. I would hate missing the Rope drop by going to the entrance farthest from the race finish (assuming the regular course).

I'm not aware of any reason that the WS entrance to EPCOT wouldn't be open. That was about Mile 4.5 last year. Assuming the same SS 10k course, balloon ladies will pass there by around 7:12am. I didn't personally attempt it recently, but I think you should be fine.

Out of curiosity, what do you think they are "getting away with"?

Not the OP (obviously) but I read “get away with it” as “could be successful as a fundraiser.”

@Herding_Cats nailed exactly what I meant. I would love to see the race be both an enjoyable race and have plenty of runners to be a successful fundraiser. With a shorter distance, you have a bigger pool of runners to draw from and runners are more willing to stack races closer together. But half marathons just aren't like that.

The frustrating part is that the course would have been virtually perfect for a 10K. They could have used the road part of the course and finished in the park without all of those crazy laps at the end.

Hope whoever is running the race is experienced enough to make it work.

There are so many red flags that I just can't see an experienced race director making these types of decisions. Which is going to make a challenging situation even worse.

Race Recap: Clearwater Running Festival
When: Jan 28-29
Where: Clearwater Beach, Florida
What: 5k and Half

I'm a little late sharing this, but better late than never, right?

5k was on Saturday. Sunday distances were a half, marathon, and 50k. If you race both days, you got a challenge medal. It was our first time running this race.

Pre-race logistics:
We flew nonstop into Tampa and caught an 30 min Lyft ride to Clearwater beach. There are lots of nice hotels on the beach within walking distance of the start/finish. And lots of restaurants within walking distance too. Great area for a long weekend beach getaway.

The 5k started at sun rise and was an out and back through a park and over a bridge. The race is organized by Millennium Running and All Day Running Company. It felt like half the people knew each other. And on the out and back 5k course people were constantly yelling encouragement to each other. It kind of felt like we were crashing a big family running reunion! We ran it easy on the 5k and enjoyed the atmosphere.
20230128_072232.jpg
20230128_074539.jpg
20230128_074836.jpg
20230128_075625.jpg

The half ran through Clearwater Beach, over 3 giant (1 mile long bridges), and through some super swanky neighborhoods. It was a great course for the first 10 miles. The last 3 miles were on the side of a busy road, not closed to traffic, which wasn't fun. I missed a PR by 40 seconds, which sucks. I had a bit of a mental tantrum at mile 10 and walked for at least a minute. Maybe next time, I'll find the toughness within me to keep it up. Physically, I know I have it in me.

After party was on the beach. How could I stay disappointed sitting on the beach drinking beer in January in Florida!

Overall, it was a great race weekend. Everyone we met was super friendly. Ali Feller from Ali on the Run podcast was the race announcer. I love her podcast, so it was a thrill hearing her say my name as I finished.

There are so many other races on my list, so we probably won't do this one again anytime soon, but I'd definitely recommend it.
20230129_070720.jpg
20230129_111833.jpg
20230129_140727.jpg

Recovery from surgery has to be the most boring thing I have ever had to be a part of! I do not think I have ever watched that much TV in one weekend EVER! I love being outside, especially with the nice weather we are having and either cooking or doing some sort of yard work... Good news, today was the first PT day and it went well. The knee hasnt really been in any pain, just a little tight. The next 6 weeks of very limited activity is going to drive me crazy lol. The good news is I should be able to do some outdoor cooking this weekend and the little ones are begging for a crawfish boil, which sounds like a great idea!
During my boredom, and based on when I was told I could start C25k, I went ahead and created a schedule and added a few weeks after of a training plan.... and by a few weeks I mean until our towns local 1/2 marathon in January of 2024. Again I was bored and optimistic lol.

Barkley's Marathon started this morning.

Is there a website or social media feed where one can follow the races progress?

Is there a website or social media feed where one can follow the races progress?

So apparently a guy called Keith Dunn (@keithdunn) provides Twitter updates unofficially--that's it. So far , this is the one I love the most....

"Through the tower so far (actual descriptions given to me): guy with glasses, guy with funny pants, nondescript guy, a real big smiling guy, a tan guy, the guy with a big grin, small European woman, tall guy with Mohawk-ish hair, another guy, tall guy with black beard."

In the spirit of ongoing Barkley Marathons, and if allowed I would like to propose a QOTD:

QOTD: If you could train for it and get in, would you try to run Barkley Marathons? How many laps do you think you could get in?

ATTQOTD: I would love to try it, but I highly doubt I would even come close to finishing the "fun run". I think 1 lap would be a victory in my book lol. It's such a interesting and unique event they amazes me every year.

ATTQOTD Barkley: I watched “the race that eats its young” and I would probably not want to attempt even a lap: Getting lost, not being able to drink water because it is frozen, getting scratched by thorns, walking in rivers, being scared of heights or eaten by wildlife… Maybe that trail run would be a bit too rough for my pleasure. Many others are more enjoyable and simpler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter