The Running Thread—2023

ATTQOTD: Nope nope nope.
Remember reading at one point of a contestant who was found the next town over talking to a trash can (mailbox?) because they were hallucinating that it was a person.
And probably mentioned this last year during the Barkley, but there's also the documentary "Where Dreams Go To Die". That also scared me off.

ETA: just went to the link @flav posted and saw this: 😮
1678911235515.png

ATTQOTD: Not interested in the slightest. I choose my race carefully. This one ticks none of the boxes in my "Fun Race" categories.

On an unrelated note, my little town here in central NC has decided to host its first ever ultra in September. The starting line is a 1/2 mile walk from my house. I'd love to support it. The problem is that they have structured the race as a 2.5m out and back. You can run it once for 5m, 4x for 20m, or 8x for 40m. That 2.5m includes two of the worst hills in the area. I think they thought it'd be funny. It's not ticking many of my boxes either, but I can't get over the feeling that I should be supporting it as a local.

I'm not interested in running it but I am fascinated by the challenge and those that do. I wish there was more coverage but I believe there is an issue with permits due to the location and they purposely don't invite any media to try and keep the event from being shut down.

On an unrelated note, my little town here in central NC has decided to host its first ever ultra in September. The starting line is a 1/2 mile walk from my house. I'd love to support it. The problem is that they have structured the race as a 2.5m out and back. You can run it once for 5m, 4x for 20m, or 8x for 40m. That 2.5m includes two of the worst hills in the area. I think they thought it'd be funny. It's not ticking many of my boxes either, but I can't get over the feeling that I should be supporting it as a local.
Hills <> funny. Maybe you could support it by volunteering at it instead of running it!

ATTQOTD: Nope. No way. No how. I love the idea of a trail ultra, but only in a beautiful place… nothing I’ve seen in the bazillion videos about Barkley says “beautiful” to me lol! And I do not do flesh wounds. #nobramble
I would love to spectate/crew/be there for the experience to write a story, though.

I am totally obsessed with the race, and have been following Keith Dunn on Twitter and Tailwind on FB, which is also posting updates. We’ve got people on loop 5 and a legit race going down this time!!!

ATTQOTD: Nope i would not do Barkleys. However in the imaginary world we are talking about i would love to try and do a Backyard, twice. The first time to get in 12 hours at least and the second to see really how long i could last. I do not function on little sleep well so i would be surprised if i could make it 24 hours.

ATTQOTD: Definitely not for me. I'm not into trail running, ultra running or anything extreme. I won't even do Color Runs or Spartans or Mud Runs. I like a nice, well-organized road race and that's about it. Start, run on the road (or through theme parks) for a few miles and finish. That's all I need and want.

Wow, three finishers! That is insane! I think John Kelly finished it previously? I have imagined/day dreamed for years running this event. First learned about it listening to the Gingerrunner Podcast and then watching both the documentaries mentioned. I will say that "Where dreams go to die" is very moving and really worth a watch. In reality, I have gone no further than 100k in a "normal" ultra race and that was almost 5 years ago, so I will stick with day dreaming!

Wow, three finishers! That is insane! I think John Kelly finished it previously? I have imagined/day dreamed for years running this event. First learned about it listening to the Gingerrunner Podcast and then watching both the documentaries mentioned. I will say that "Where dreams go to die" is very moving and really worth a watch. In reality, I have gone no further than 100k in a "normal" ultra race and that was almost 5 years ago, so I will stick with day dreaming!
John Kelly is now a 2x finisher, having completed the course in 2017 (and I think that was maybe the last time someone finished? the wording I keep finding is a little ambiguous)

Sabbe (the last finisher this year) is the guy who the police picked up last year because he got lost and was hallucinating and talking to a trash can.

The Race that Eats its Young documentary is about the 2012 race, which is the year the current course record was set (by a 2x finisher) AND also had 3 people finish. So it'll definitely be interesting to see if the course difficulty ramps up.

Last edited:
John Kelly is now a 2x finisher, having completed the course in 2017 (and I think that was maybe the last time someone finished? the wording I keep finding is a little ambiguous)
Yes, he was the only person to finish in 2017. According to Wikipedia, no one finished in 2018, 2019, 2021, and 2022. (2020 was of course cancelled.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter