The Running Thread—2023

You mean squats with 50-70lbs in 1080s isn't a great choice? 🤣 Oh darn.....I have to look at more shoes. This sounds terrible.

Even at those weights they are too squishy!!! You need a firm surface to help stabilize all your foot bones and ankles.

And more shoes is never a bad thing 😂

I think I asked this last year, but I'm going to ask it again:
Shoes for lifting? I noticed that when I started lifting again (albeit for just about 2 weeks before I fell off the wagon again) that my PF/achilles stuff was starting to flare up again, and I'm not sure if wearing a running shoe was aggravating it. I see that new balance makes a "minimus TR" shoe that is a 0 drop and I'm fairly sure that "lifting shoes" are 0 drop.

BUT, it's also not like I'm going to be throwing around hundreds of pounds in squats and deadlifts, so I feel like this could be one of those "the equipment is there, but it isn't necessary for what I'm doing" kinds of things (similar to a plated racing shoe...I'm too slow for it to matter.) Thoughts?
I'm not a lifter, but I know from experience that 0-drop shoes can definitely aggravate Achilles issues. Maybe take a look at 0-drop lifting shoes for the "non-squishy" soles, but add a set of heel wedges made for Achilles tendinitis as a preventative?

I ran The Woodlands HM yesterday. This was my last chance for this racing season to shoot for a new PR and POT. I got so lucky with the weather. It has already gotten quite warm here but we got a baby cold front with that band of storms that caused tornados and such in northern TX. We had basically 2 cool mornings and the coldest fell on race morning. It was upper 40’s at start and only got up to upper 50’s by the finish. And, long story short is I have a new HM PR of 2:05:53! Shaved 2:09 on my old time! I’m inching closer to a sub 2hr HM. Hopefully I can get there in another year or 2.
It feels good to accomplish a new PR. I dedicated so much time to training for Dopey and wasn’t sure if I could convert all that mileage into a faster HM, but with a little speed work over the last 6 weeks I was able to pull it off!

I ran The Woodlands HM yesterday. This was my last chance for this racing season to shoot for a new PR and POT. I got so lucky with the weather. It has already gotten quite warm here but we got a baby cold front with that band of storms that caused tornados and such in northern TX. We had basically 2 cool mornings and the coldest fell on race morning. It was upper 40’s at start and only got up to upper 50’s by the finish. And, long story short is I have a new HM PR of 2:05:53! Shaved 2:09 on my old time! I’m inching closer to a sub 2hr HM. Hopefully I can get there in another year or 2.
It feels good to accomplish a new PR. I dedicated so much time to training for Dopey and wasn’t sure if I could convert all that mileage into a faster HM, but with a little speed work over the last 6 weeks I was able to pull it off!
Congrats on the PR!

Congrats!

I'm new to runDisney, but I'm gathering that I should share my monthly running totals here:

January 2023: Activities: 11 Distance: 27.95 mi Time: 5:14:54 (includes three 5ks)
Failed 300,000 monthly step goal

February 2023: Activities: 8 Distance: 19.51 mi Time: 3:52:06 (includes a 15k & a 5k)
Failed 300,000 monthly step goal

So how did I get to this place of running less than 30 miles a month and thinking I'm a runner.....

I started running in 2018 with Couch to 5k. At the time, a half marathon sounded impossible so I said if I was ever going to run that far it would only be in Disneyland. Lucky for me, after that there were no more Disneyland races; I was off the hook! 🤣
In 2019 I ran my first 10k race. Then in 2020 I decided I actually could train to run a half marathon which I completed on my own in 2021. I continued casually running, but strength training was (and still is) my main focus.💪
In 2022 I was training for Castaway Cay 5k which I had to run on my own in my hometown because DS got Covid the morning we were leaving for the cruise!😭
After that I continued casually running outside as usual until, in December 2022, we got a gym membership so the past three months all of my runs have been on the treadmill 👍
Now that the Disneyland races are back for 2024 I feel like I have to run it, even though my goals have changed since 2018?!?🤯 Oh well, here we go.....one and done?!?🤷‍♀️

Plan for March 2023: Continue strength training 4-5x per week, yoga 3x per week, run 2x per week (one run this month will be 15k for my Garmin badge) <----- who else does almost anything just because the Garmin or Apple watch tells you to!?!?

I'll try again to get my first monthly 300,000 step badge of 2023.

We're still very much in winter here, but maybe this month will be a transition of getting back outside to run sometimes.

Eventually, I'm going to have to switch my focus from strength training to a half marathon training plan, but I'm currently planning on making that transition in August which will still give me 5 months to get ready for the Disneyland Half Marathon.🤞I'll get stressed and confused and change my thoughts or workout plans a million times between now & then...😅

Keep up the good work and impressive running friends! Here we go March!
So far so good. And welcome to having a running affliction…
;-)

Golf clap.
Well done and congrats!

Finally had the chance to sit down and write my recap of the 2023 Princess Weekend races if you want to read (link). G and I had a great time during the 5k, plus our many other adventures as well!

2023-02-24-rundisney-walt-disney-world-rundisney-finish-line_2-jpeg.744397

img_5378-jpeg.744359

Finally had the chance to sit down and write my recap of the 2023 Princess Weekend races if you want to read (link). G and I had a great time during the 5k, plus our many other adventures as well!

2023-02-24-rundisney-walt-disney-world-rundisney-finish-line_2-jpeg.744397

img_5378-jpeg.744359
I was thinking about fuel during a race and that giant hook (?) and decided you just need to make it into a giant Pez dispenser of race fuel…

Shoes for lifting? I noticed that when I started lifting again (albeit for just about 2 weeks before I fell off the wagon again) that my PF/achilles stuff was starting to flare up again, and I'm not sure if wearing a running shoe was aggravating it. I see that new balance makes a "minimus TR" shoe that is a 0 drop and I'm fairly sure that "lifting shoes" are 0 drop.

BUT, it's also not like I'm going to be throwing around hundreds of pounds in squats and deadlifts, so I feel like this could be one of those "the equipment is there, but it isn't necessary for what I'm doing" kinds of things (similar to a plated racing shoe...I'm too slow for it to matter.) Thoughts?
Not sure my experience has much value - I don’t really “lift”: I mostly use body weight plus dumbbells and ankle weights for strength training. But I don’t wear shoes at all when I do: I’m at home, on carpeting. If I had to be at a gym or something, I’d wear a pair of my Altras, so as zero-drop as barefoot.

February Running
Miles: 44.42
Time: 8:04:01
Average HR: 135

Oof! February was rough - I got COVID at the end of January, so missed an entire week of February. When I started back running, I was seriously on the struggle bus - not only energy depletion from COVID and taking two weeks off, but I think the last remains of Dopey recovery.

Thankfully, last week I finally started to feel better, so I was able to do 4 runs each week, totally about 16-17 miles. It's so weird to go from such high mileage to struggling to get 3 miles done, but I'm on the upswing now :)

Also - I'm heading to Anaheim this week for a work conference. Does anyone have any good running routes near Disneyland? I'm about 1.5 miles down the road and just planning to run to Disneyland and back a few days to get 3-ish miles but am open to other suggestions!

I've always done any sort of strength training barefoot. I think that's what I'd try first before spending money on new shoes.

I’ve always done strength work in converse or gone barefoot. You want a stable foundation, running shoes absorb too much force and deform which forces you to adjust your footing and can put strain in incorrect places

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter