• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Rumors Are True! Goodbye River Country and TCD Barn!

I really wish Disney would release SOMETHING, the suspense is killing me. If River Country gets turned into fancy DVC waterfront campsites, we're joining DVC! At the very least, I hope they add some kind of food court.

Could the Disney imagineers be keeping a logical historical timeline in mind when they dreamed up these new plans? It would make sense to continue the "wilderness" theming. Let me "splain". The fort is themed in the pioneer days. Outpost. Settlement. Covered wagons. Probably early to mid 1800s. On up the road is Wilderness Lodge which is early twentieth century. Kind of Teddy Roosevelt era. Couldn't you see guests driving up in Tin Lizzies? So if we follow that logic, all we have to do is figure out what history fits in between? Doubt it would be Civil War related. Walt was a history buff and a railway buff. My guess is maybe a railway station themed hotel from the period of the late 1800s. Maybe something celebrating our industrial age. Any ideas?

Gold rush? Southern plantations (Song of the South theme!)? Pioneer farmsteads?

ShantaClausSm.png

Think about this....the early 1800s Mississippi River boat era is already covered with Port Orleans. Just turn left onto Vista drive, the timeline continues with the pioneer westward expansion era ala Fort Wilderness. I think Shanman is on track. A gold rush town? Marshall Dillon and Festus hanging out at the Long Branch? A song of the south plantation? Whats your dream resort?

A DVC catering to both Rv'ers with old west themed hotel rooms. Gold rush styled pool with slides that look like old watering troughs for mining If you scroll down the page they even have a old hotel that look would be perfect.
http://www.eligr.com/2010/07/pictures-of-the-old-west/
The pool should have a gold glimmer to the bottom. Old style saloon and atmosphere. With live shows like in the game picture were the bad guys and good guys have shoot outs below.
http://www.downloadgames2008.com/pic/1213Thumb2.jpg
Maybe a ghost town theme. Tumble weeds, a place to put up your horse and or cart ( golf carts made to look like old covered wagons) flickering lanterns and all. The roads in the campground can be paved but look like old dirt roads. It is limitless to the posibilities. Heck if they did this I might be interested then.

There is no need to speculate about what this new project is going to look like, or how close it's going to be to the Fort.

Check out this post, which contains a detailed drawing of the footprint of the new resort in relation to Fort Wilderness (it is really, really, close).

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=38716342&postcount=8

If you follow along on that thread, you will see that one new item to be introduced at the FW waterfront area is a cannon.

This would suggest to me that the new resort will play off of the existing Fort Wilderness theme.

TCD

There is no need to speculate about what this new project is going to look like, or how close it's going to be to the Fort.

Check out this post, which contains a detailed drawing of the footprint of the new resort in relation to Fort Wilderness (it is really, really, close).

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=38716342&postcount=8

If you follow along on that thread, you will see that one new item to be introduced at the FW waterfront area is a cannon.

This would suggest to me that the new resort will play off of the existing Fort Wilderness theme.

TCD

I didn't see any new parking lots, I wonder how they plan to accommodate?

I didn't see any new parking lots, I wonder how they plan to accommodate?

This drawing is just the north part of the project. It appears to have been submitted in error with the permit application for the new stables. The new parking lot will probably be in the area where the current stables and horse enclosures sit.

TCD

This drawing is just the north part of the project. It appears to have been submitted in error with the permit application for the new stables. The new parking lot will probably be in the area where the current stables and horse enclosures sit.

TCD

Still makes me nervous having a parking lot that close to the Settlement area. Hopefully if it does go there it will only be accessible via WL way, or another route. If not, that would be alot of traffic going through the Fort.

I agree with Shan-man on this. While "Old Florida" might be the theme, I don't think Cracker style would fit here. Before Wilderness Lodge, there was talk of a resort called Cypress Lodge. Something like that would be a more likely fit. That is if there is going to be a building or buildings in the first place.

TCD

A Cypress Lodge would fit in well, imho.

TCD
In the corner of the 'PDF' version it sure looks like 'Glover Smith Bode Architects' of OKC, OK drew the plans. They have a definate connection to WDW since their website lists 'Coronado Springs' as one of the projects they completed for Disney ! :surfweb:

Remember Obama's battle cry!!! Change we can believe in!!! HeHe
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::dance3:

another thread on the DVC boards that has a release from an archtectural firm, maybe the theme is "california" which would bring in the water orientation of the resort:

http://www.georgecooninc.com/file/web site george_projectsreduced.pdf

shows a completion date of 2012, but based on the other dates listed in there, it looks more of a completion date for them and their renderings than the actual resort....or its just not on schedule right now.

another thread on the DVC boards that has a release from an archtectural firm, maybe the theme is "california" which would bring in the water orientation of the resort:

http://www.georgecooninc.com/file/web site george_projectsreduced.pdf

shows a completion date of 2012, but based on the other dates listed in there, it looks more of a completion date for them and their renderings than the actual resort....or its just not on schedule right now.

That link was posted yesterday on a newer thread relating to the DVC rumor.

Here's a link to that post: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=38830220&postcount=249

Please continue any discussion relating to this rumor on the newer thread, as this one has basically run its course, and there is now more current information on the new thread.

TCD

The rumor about a big new project at Fort Wilderness has been confirmed.

The TCD gang is just back from a quick weekend warrior visit to the Fort.

We enjoyed a Haunted Carriage Ride on October 2, 2010.

When we reported to the Blacksmith Shop, we saw this sign:

FWOctober2010377.jpg

I asked the castmember on duty what the heck this was all about.

She spilled the beans.

All of them.

In great detail.

The horse barn and farm area are moving.

And River Country is finally going to be leveled.

She has seen the plans for the new barn.

It will be relocated up at the Outpost area. The old kennel building has been turned over to horse operations. All of the horses will be moved to this area.

Take a look at this photo:

FortProjectFootprint-1.jpg

The horse barn, pavilion, and River Country are all going to be leveled.

But, that's not all.

The area where the 100 loop label is on this photo is also going to be leveled. It is going to be the new staging area for wagon rides and other horse activities. This is the area between the path to the marina and Pioneer Hall. It is currently a densely wooded area. The 100 loop isn't going anywhere. Just the wilderness that separates it from Pioneer Hall.

And, the area just above and to the right of the Settlement Trading Post label is where a new pavilion will be built.

The Haunted Carriage Rides will take place somewhere else next year.

In the place of all of this will be a new DVC resort.

For those of you who say there is not enough room, take a look at these photos:

Here is an aerial of the Bay Lake area:

BayLake-1.jpg

If you look just below the "o" in the Wilderness Lodge label, you will see a thin brown building. Those are the WL villas- a DVC property. As you can see, a building much bigger than that could fit in the space we are talking about in Fort Wilderness.

Here is an aerial of the Contemporary Resort (taken with the same scale as the Fort Wilderness photo):

ContempFootprint-1.jpg

As you can see, the space being freed up at Fort Wilderness could easily accommodate a building as large as Bay Lake Tower, or even the main Contemporary tower, for that matter.

Apparently, this project will kick off sometime between now and next October.

And, there will be specific information on-line by July, 2011.

TCD

What is the Meadow Swimming Pool?????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter