• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Rumors Are True! Goodbye River Country and TCD Barn!

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
The rumor about a big new project at Fort Wilderness has been confirmed.

The TCD gang is just back from a quick weekend warrior visit to the Fort.

We enjoyed a Haunted Carriage Ride on October 2, 2010.

When we reported to the Blacksmith Shop, we saw this sign:

FWOctober2010377.jpg

I asked the castmember on duty what the heck this was all about.

She spilled the beans.

All of them.

In great detail.

The horse barn and farm area are moving.

And River Country is finally going to be leveled.

She has seen the plans for the new barn.

It will be relocated up at the Outpost area. The old kennel building has been turned over to horse operations. All of the horses will be moved to this area.

Take a look at this photo:

FortProjectFootprint-1.jpg

The horse barn, pavilion, and River Country are all going to be leveled.

But, that's not all.

The area where the 100 loop label is on this photo is also going to be leveled. It is going to be the new staging area for wagon rides and other horse activities. This is the area between the path to the marina and Pioneer Hall. It is currently a densely wooded area. The 100 loop isn't going anywhere. Just the wilderness that separates it from Pioneer Hall.

And, the area just above and to the right of the Settlement Trading Post label is where a new pavilion will be built.

The Haunted Carriage Rides will take place somewhere else next year.

In the place of all of this will be a new DVC resort.

For those of you who say there is not enough room, take a look at these photos:

Here is an aerial of the Bay Lake area:

BayLake-1.jpg

If you look just below the "o" in the Wilderness Lodge label, you will see a thin brown building. Those are the WL villas- a DVC property. As you can see, a building much bigger than that could fit in the space we are talking about in Fort Wilderness.

Here is an aerial of the Contemporary Resort (taken with the same scale as the Fort Wilderness photo):

ContempFootprint-1.jpg

As you can see, the space being freed up at Fort Wilderness could easily accommodate a building as large as Bay Lake Tower, or even the main Contemporary tower, for that matter.

Apparently, this project will kick off sometime between now and next October.

And, there will be specific information on-line by July, 2011.

TCD

The rumor about a big new project at Fort Wilderness has been confirmed.

The area where the 100 loop label is on this photo is also going to be leveled. It is going to be the new staging area for wagon rides and other horse activities. This is the area between the path to the marina and Pioneer Hall. It is currently a densely wooded area. The 100 loop isn't going anywhere. Just the wilderness that separates it from Pioneer Hall.
TCD

Wow! Being new to the Fort, (only 1 year) I am really torn on the changes. I'm not sure of how I will like everything right now, but the one that I definitely do not care for is the one above. That path is one of my favorites to walk and bike ride on. I can't picture it leveled of all the trees there.
:sad:

I'm sure once I digest the rest (and after my visit this week) I will have more opinions on the other changes.

Thanks for the update. And I'm assuming I'm correct in expecting a full TR shortly right? ;)

Great information! I still hope that whatever is built will be an enhancement to the themes of the Fort and WL. The leveling of RC makes sense and I just hope the expansion will be a positive for our Disney and Fort experience at the end of the day.

Wow, I am certainly getting to see this info hot off the press! TCD you really are the man when it comes to getting the facts, all the facts, and nothing but the facts!:thumbsup2. Although we made many trips to Disney over the years, last year was our first trip to the Fort and, I must say, we were hooked like so many others. We are scheduled to head down in exactly 30 days :woohoo:!, and have been so excited, so I must say when I read your post I wasn't really overjoyed by the news. We, unfortunately, missed lots of great traditions during the earlier days of the Fort and had hoped to get to visit it for a few years the way it stands now, but I guess we can't stand in the way of progress (if that's what you want to call it). Anyway, nothing can stop our excitement for getting down there in early November and we will be sure to check out any reported progress. Thanks again for your great reporting skills:worship:.

I don't think I like these plans. It seems like so many trees will be gone! Is anything going to happen to the trail between FW and WL? I hope not! I love, love, love riding my bike there. It's my happy place!

My first thought is....Crap.

My second thought is wondering if anyone can suggest ways this may improve FW? Let me take a shot:
-more traffic...no, thats not a good thing.
-either another boat launch to stop at or increased volume at the current marina...another negative.
-longer wait times at TE and unlikely improvement in quality or selection...bad.
-more concrete and less "wilderness" at Fort Wilderness...not really what I am looking for from a camping experience.
-and of course no access to new DVC amenities for us'uns from the trailerhood.

Crap.

TCD we need to do a final RC trip over Halloween before Disney trashes it. Look for me over the Halloween weekend

Wow! Being new to the Fort, (only 1 year) I am really torn on the changes. I'm not sure of how I will like everything right now, but the one that I definitely do not care for is the one above. That path is one of my favorites to walk and bike ride on. I can't picture it leveled of all the trees there.
:sad:

I'm sure once I digest the rest (and after my visit this week) I will have more opinions on the other changes.

Thanks for the update. And I'm assuming I'm correct in expecting a full TR shortly right? ;)

1. I also don't like the idea of the wooded area adjacent to Pioneer Hall being cleared. During my early visits to the Fort, the current cement path was just a mulch path. It was and still is one of the places that I most love at the Fort.

2. Yes, there will be a full report. I should get it kicked off today. There are a few other new developments that I will report on. I am going to do that in a separate thread so this one can just be about the new DVC resort.

Great information! I still hope that whatever is built will be an enhancement to the themes of the Fort and WL. The leveling of RC makes sense and I just hope the expansion will be a positive for our Disney and Fort experience at the end of the day.

As I have thought about this, I can't blame Disney for wanting to make this prime area into something that will produce income. It will have impact on the Fort for sure, but, in the end, the Fort will still be the Fort.

Wow, I am certainly getting to see this info hot off the press! TCD you really are the man when it comes to getting the facts, all the facts, and nothing but the facts!:thumbsup2. Although we made many trips to Disney over the years, last year was our first trip to the Fort and, I must say, we were hooked like so many others. We are scheduled to head down in exactly 30 days :woohoo:!, and have been so excited, so I must say when I read your post I wasn't really overjoyed by the news. We, unfortunately, missed lots of great traditions during the earlier days of the Fort and had hoped to get to visit it for a few years the way it stands now, but I guess we can't stand in the way of progress (if that's what you want to call it). Anyway, nothing can stop our excitement for getting down there in early November and we will be sure to check out any reported progress. Thanks again for your great reporting skills:worship:.

I don't expect that there will be any changes to be seen in November. I imagine that they will get the new barn built before they start tearing things down here.

I don't think I like these plans. It seems like so many trees will be gone! Is anything going to happen to the trail between FW and WL? I hope not! I love, love, love riding my bike there. It's my happy place!

I don't like it either, but I don't think the final result will be awful. There is still a lot of space between WL and FW, and I would expect the path to remain.

TCD

My first thought is....Crap.

My second thought is wondering if anyone can suggest ways this may improve FW? Let me take a shot:
-more traffic...no, thats not a good thing.
-either another boat launch to stop at or increased volume at the current marina...another negative.
-longer wait times at TE and unlikely improvement in quality or selection...bad.
-more concrete and less "wilderness" at Fort Wilderness...not really what I am looking for from a camping experience.
-and of course no access to new DVC amenities for us'uns from the trailerhood.

Crap.

I can't argue with you. There doesn't seem to be much upside for the Fort. But, I would expect that the food service options will be upgraded.

I really don't like the idea of guests being able to drive cars down to this area, but a big guest parking area is part of the plan.

I think you are right- they will not allow Fort guests into this DVC property. We will have to sneak in, just like over at BLT.

TCD we need to do a final RC trip over Halloween before Disney trashes it. Look for me over the Halloween weekend

10-4. I will bring my commando gear. Looks like it's last call. We will join forces for a final mission.:thumbsup2

TCD

Thanks so much for the update! I've got mixed emotions about it, too. But strange that Disney didn't ask me for my opinions first...

:rotfl:

Wow! Great info TCD!

Only time will tell if the changes will be good or bad. There will probably be mixed reviews in the end anyway.

I sure am glad I took a truckload of pics on my last visit to the Fort! ;) At least I'll have them to help me remember "how it used to be".

Looking forward to more reporting.

With all repect to that grand ole Dragon Elliott.

I am a DVC member since 94 and love it. I have also used my membership to camp at the fort just like in the days when my kids were young and all we had was a ole pop up! :)

Now regarding the good and bad points!:upsidedow

1. The traffic will be going by WL not though the fort............seems a good thing for the Fort!.

2. New dock..............hmmmmmm....... more and larger boats, maybe new boats and more service.........seems a good thing!

3. New restaurents at the new resort and if they put in the train (HO please.please put in a new steam line) better and faster travel to both the new resort and WL restaurents.

4. Well trees???....hmmmmm..........this one I have no idea what will happen, but the new resort is supposed to be a ole western type town. At least its not likely to be very tall.

5. There has not been a DVC only resort built since OKW(which does rent the units to non members), so the amentiies would be open like the other resorts.

PS. Before somtone mentions BLT.......well.........*whispers*...... the real DVC members don't think BLT members are real DVC folks...(gee did I just say that)!!!!!!!!!

Ok. joking aside.........I hope what ever is put up works for everyone!

Just a poor ole ex deep water sailers opinion!

Best Regards....AKK:goodvibes

We too spent the past weekend at the Fort. I had the privelege of attending some events with members of the Carollwood Pacific Historical Societey (more on that in my TR). Some of these folks have excellent sources from 'inside'. They also confirmed as true all that TCD has reported.

I wonder if the removal of the RC and the barn indicates that they new DVC will actually sit right there or not? RC was never going to be renovated. From what I have heard, the barn needs to be replaced. Whether the resort were built 1/2 way between WL and FW, or right next door, the removal of both is needed.

What I am trying to say, but can't seem to spit it out , is maybe the new resort won't be right on top of FW. For the same reasons we don't want them encroaching on our Fort, it is probably likewise not a selling point if FW is encroaching on their new DVC either.:confused3

TCD - Thanks for the update. I think we all knew that there were some "changes-a-comin' ", and you've just confirmed what we all "sensed". I have some mixed emotions about this, but will reserve judgment until the updates and construction have been completed. Like all change - there are up sides and down sides.

The one thing I like most about Disney is that things are constantly changing and, in most cases, the new things are better than the old. I mean honestly...how could River Country possibly compete with Typhone Lagone, Blizzard Beach, or even Wet 'n Wild? R.C. was nostalgic, but past its' prime.

I remember thinking with dismay about them "destroying" the land that eventually became the Wilderness Lodge. It was one of my favorite views of the Seven Seas Lagoon and Contemporary back in the days I ventured that far on my bike. Now, I wouldn't trade the WL for anything. I love it, and I love the exercise trail that came as a result of the lodge.

In reality - moving all the equine operations to the front makes total sense. It will be easier to trailer the horses from there to take them to other resorts and parks. It will also be more convenient for guests from other resorts to take advantage of the horse back riding. My only regret is that the peaceful, pasture-like area in front of the barn will be gone, and it seems like the cart path behind the 100 loop will also be history. Change can sometime be painful but in the end, you usually gain something better.

Thanks again, TCD! :thumbsup2

My primary concern is how the gating and traffic for this new resort would be handled. It is possible that this will be a separately gated resort, with no guest traffic mingling with either WL or FW. There is a dirt road and bridge already along the canal due south of the development. That road ties into existing paved roads near the group camping area. This could become a separately gated entrance for the new resort. Using the existing WL gate and roads seems a more likely option, however. The worst case scenario is that the new resort shares the gate with FW. Traffic at the FW entrance is quite confused (and often over-burdened) as it is. Add to that the increased volume flowing through Fort Wilderness and you can count on ped/bike/cart vs. car crashes to really escalate. I sincerely hope that Disney knows better than to take this option. But then again, this is the company that just built a display for the Carillon in the soon to be demolished horse barn! I'm waiting to see.

ShantaClausSm.png

Wow I have mixed emotions over this one. I hope they make the right choices and keep the things that make the Fort as great as it is. Last thing we need is a ton of traffic in and around the resort. I am hoping for the best though.

So what will the experiece for the customer be? Why would someone want to be a member at this new resort instead of over at the Wilderness Lodge? Other than theming, what do they plan to offer the guest with this new resort that will differentiate it from other properties?

If they intend to utilize the Fort's infrastructure, it would seem that there would need to be improvements in dining and shopping on that end of the Fort. Private pools are a DVC cornerstone, but at other properties they have the option of visiting the primary resort pool also. These resort guests would have to walk or take a bus to use the Fort pool. Perhaps there are plans to create an experience that would make this DVC property more inclusive. It will be interesting to see how the plans shape up, given that there may be some divergence from the typical DVC creation model.

des1954- sorry but the exercise trail was there long before the WL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter