• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Rumors Are True! Goodbye River Country and TCD Barn!

I hope not, as I am not a fan of Disney vacations in proximity to the pets of other people, and I would be concerned about the peace & quiet being disturbed by periodic barking. In addition, I fear that such a resort would end up not being a human resort that is pet friendly, but effectively a pet resort that is human friendly, because some people with pets tend to push the envelope of rules relating to pets.

I can see the Disney ad now: "Bring your children to experience the magic of Disney, where they can explore a happy world of fantasy, and mingle with strangers' pit bulls."

I think that Disney's separate "Best Friends" pet resort was a good idea, as that gives people an option to bring their pets on vacation and to visit with the pets while on vacation without the people resorts having to admit pets.

For me, staying at a Disney resort hotel or campground is just as much a part of the Disney experience as the Magic Kingdom, and just as I would not want to visit the Magic Kingdom with hundreds of dogs, cats, ferrets, etc., I would prefer not to stay at a pet-friendly Disney resort. Though I suppose a pet-friendly Animal Kingdom would provide plenty of excitement for both the pets and the wild animals.

Then you will want to stay away from the campgrounds because it is already pet friendly. See ya! ;)

Oh boy, well once again the motto I learned at Disney comes to mind, "Change is Consistant." Course' I always say the other one that is consistant is.."anything for a buck."

Then you will want to stay away from the campgrounds because it is already pet friendly. See ya! ;)

I think the pet friendly idea is a great one. That's a definite campground perk.

I don't think hearing someone's dog bark is any more irritating than someone's child screaming, so it would be fine with me! :laughing:

Ok, I have a new theory. Suppose that the reason Disney accounting knows nothing of the new project is because, like so many things of late, Disney is farming it out. The new super-premium sites will be built and maintained by Outdoor Resorts, who has scads of experience in the time-share RV resort business. Hey, it's a theory!

As for River Country, I agree, the thing is toast and would need such radical redesign it would make more sense to just start over. I would not be surprised to see them do some small homage to RC in the new development, though. Perhaps the repainted water wagon will finally reappear! Don't forget what they did in homage to the Fort Wilderness Railroad when they redid the Fort pool. It would nice to see another nod to the Fort's history... even if the logo wasn't historical!

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w359/SLSettles/Web%20
Graphics/ShantaClausSm.png

Hmmm...:scratchin ...interesting thought to be sure.

I hope Disney does finally get with the times and build a pet friendly hotel. Universal has been doing it for years.

I think the pet people are onto something. I can definitely see that as a huge selling point for a resort. They want 10 day stays, and that's a long time to leave your dog in a kennel.

I hope not, as I am not a fan of Disney vacations in proximity to the pets of other people, and I would be concerned about the peace & quiet being disturbed by periodic barking. In addition, I fear that such a resort would end up not being a human resort that is pet friendly, but effectively a pet resort that is human friendly, because some people with pets tend to push the envelope of rules relating to pets.

I can see the Disney ad now: "Bring your children to experience the magic of Disney, where they can explore a happy world of fantasy, and mingle with strangers' pit bulls."

I think that Disney's separate "Best Friends" pet resort was a good idea, as that gives people an option to bring their pets on vacation and to visit with the pets while on vacation without the people resorts having to admit pets.

For me, staying at a Disney resort hotel or campground is just as much a part of the Disney experience as the Magic Kingdom, and just as I would not want to visit the Magic Kingdom with hundreds of dogs, cats, ferrets, etc., I would prefer not to stay at a pet-friendly Disney resort. Though I suppose a pet-friendly Animal Kingdom would provide plenty of excitement for both the pets and the wild animals.

Well, I guess we will never see you at The Fort.

We have put our dogs in this place for 2 weeks at a time before. It's not your typical kennel. It's more like a doggie hotel. http://www.hollys-pride.com/ . Back to topic. It would be cool to have a pet friendly hotel on property. Wonders what would be done with them while your in the parks. Not all dogs are happy to be left alone.

We have put our dogs in this place for 2 weeks at a time before. It's not your typical kennel. It's more like a doggie hotel. http://www.hollys-pride.com/ . Back to topic. It would be cool to have a pet friendly hotel on property. Wonders what would be done with them while your in the parks. Not all dogs are happy to be left alone.

In room dog sitter/playtime. I am seeing $$$$$$$

The prices arent bad at all. Its been a few years sence we used them though. We have had no need. My father inlaw watches the animals now but if i needed to board them this is where I would go again hands down.

I admit, I haven't read through this entire thread. Is it possible they are putting in the camping version of DVC? We belonged to a camping "time-share" in the mid-80s before it sort of took off. Maybe Disney is trying to get a piece of the market?

I don't necessarily agree that Disney doesn't know what to do with the Fort. I don't think they really need to market it aggressively. Granted, I have been going to the Fort since I was born (1972), but even if I hadn't, it seems to be well known throughout camping circles. They do advertise in camper's magazines and publications. I just don't think they bother marketing to the everyday visitor who probably doesn't own an RV.

I don't necessarily agree that Disney doesn't know what to do with the Fort.

What I meant when I said Disney doesn't know what to do with the Fort is that the Fort really doesn't fit easily into their categories, and their approach to the Fort is basically passive. For instance: the Fort is a moderate resort, but they run specials all the time for moderates that don't apply to the Fort. The reservation folks have to be specially trained about the difference between partials and preferred and premiums, and frankly, most don't retain that info. Next time you reserve a premium ask if there is a sand pad, or a 50 amp receptacle, or if you can put up a screen room and a tent. You'll get an answer, but ask someone else and chances are you'll get some variations. Ask something that's a given at other resorts and I bet you'll get the wrong answer: are there complimentary towels at the pool? Are the ice machines free? Or ask the cast members if there is another pool, or if you can use WL's pool! I have heard cast members refer to Fort Wilderness Lodge!

As for not needing to promote the Fort, well, that's surely true for peak times, but what about mid-Feb when there are a handful of campers in each loop. The heart of snowbird season and the Fort will be nearly empty. I have subscribed to Motorhome magazine for years and will occasionally see a small B&W ad for the Fort in the back of the mag. I have rarely seen a full-page color ad for the Fort. Advertising and promotions by a market-saavy operator could keep the Fort much fuller than it is now.

Finally, an operator that has their eyes open would realize that prime seasons book MONTHS in advance and therefore additional loops would be a priority. Compared to adding resort rooms, new camping loops are cheap! And there is plenty of room for new loops. These new loops could be closed except when the resort reaches capacity to keep operational costs to a minimum.

My impression is that the only time Disney thinks about the Fort is in response to problems, not in a proactive way to maximize the potential of the resort. An outside operator who had the Fort as their prime concern would have roughly the opposite approach to the operation of this diamond in the rough.

ShantaClausSm.png

Great analysis Shan-man!

Yes.

I agree.

Very insightful.

I would add as further evidence of cluelessness by the management the number of premium sites that have been built. It doesn't make sense to me to price 54% of your product at premium prices.

TCD

The problem with a outsider running the fort is they might decide to make it like koa and shoe horn more in with even less trees.

Take this for what it's worth -which is absolutely nothing, but I was told yesterday by someone who works for WDW that a DVC resort is definately going to be built at the old River Country area and the renderings are "old florida" themed buildings. I take that to mean "cracker style" but I'm just guessing.

By cracker style I'm thinking along these lines:
florida-10.jpg

Manate%20Historical%20Village.jpg

If this rumor were true, the theme would clash with the Fort and WL, so it would need to be a separately gated resort, with it's own marina and bus depot. While not impossible, it seems dubious. The close proximity to the Fort suggests the desire to share these facilities. An old Florida DVC would seem to be a natural next to the Grand Floridian or Riverside, not the Fort.

ShantaClausSm.png

If this rumor were true, the theme would clash with the Fort and WL, so it would need to be a separately gated resort, with it's own marina and bus depot. While not impossible, it seems dubious. The close proximity to the Fort suggests the desire to share these facilities. An old Florida DVC would seem to be a natural next to the Grand Floridian or Riverside, not the Fort.

ShantaClausSm.png

I agree with Shan-man on this. While "Old Florida" might be the theme, I don't think Cracker style would fit here. Before Wilderness Lodge, there was talk of a resort called Cypress Lodge. Something like that would be a more likely fit. That is if there is going to be a building or buildings in the first place.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter