• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Hi everyone! My 16 year old daughter and I will be staying at Pop 8/21-8/28. It’s our first time in August (been twice in July and many times in winter and spring). I’m a little nervous about the Florida heat but it’s the only time we could go....
It's hot, but as long as you stay hydrated and spend a lot of time indoors, it's totally manageable.

Rides like Carousel of Progress and Hall of Presidents are great for mid day breaks.

It's hot, but as long as you stay hydrated and spend a lot of time indoors, it's totally manageable.

Rides like Carousel of Progress and Hall of Presidents are great for mid day breaks.

Our plan is rope drop, afternoon breaks, back to the park in the evenings. Water! Cooling towels. Personal fans. Popping into A/C when we walk from one attraction to another.

What does everyone do on your first day? Do you go to the hotel and wait for a room text or do you go to the front desk? Do you head straight to the parks?

Who has encountered problems using your tickets or dining plan on your magic bands? On our last trip, we went straight to the water parks, and our bands wouldn't scan, so we had to go to customer service. He had to get on the phone and call someone to get it fixed. It took probably 20-30 minutes and all of our 7 bands had to be slid under the window to him - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things - but when you are itching to go, it's a little annoying. We may do something similar again. Is there anything we should do differently, or is this just what happens?

What does everyone do on your first day? Do you go to the hotel and wait for a room text or do you go to the front desk? Do you head straight to the parks?

We always go to our hotel first. I like to get into my room before I head to a park. Usually we'll hang out at the pool, walk around the resort a bit and grab a bite to eat.

We always go to our hotel first. I like to get into my room before I head to a park. Usually we'll hang out at the pool, walk around the resort a bit and grab a bite to eat.

That's what I would prefer to do, but even though I always put early arrival, I've only had a room available before 3 pm one time, so we decided just to go ahead and make plans elsewhere.

We usually get in early and stop by the front desk first, then grab a quick bite to eat and head to DS for the afternoon.

We head straight to the parks. This year we will be getting to the resort around 7 am, giving our bags to be held and put in our room once ready, and heading to Epcot for rope drop.

We have headed straight to the parks in the past but usually stopped by the resort first. This time we are taking it easy since we won't be to the resort until around 5pm. Plan on trying Landscape of Flavors at AoA for dinner and just enjoying some pool time. And hopefully trying a frozen Jack and Coke at the pool bar.

What are the chances that they'll add some EMH at the end of August for DHS? We're going 8/27 and plan to rope drop for SDD like everyone else who didn't get the FP lol and our TSM is from 9:40-10:40 so we're hoping for a short-ish wait if the park opens at 9. Only problem is, two of us aren't fast so we're going to slow our party down a little to get there.

Hi everyone! My 16 year old daughter and I will be staying at Pop 8/21-8/28. It’s our first time in August (been twice in July and many times in winter and spring). I’m a little nervous about the Florida heat but it’s the only time we could go....

I've been once in July, and 9 times in August. I didn't find August to be significantly different than July weather wise. It is hot, and sticky. Keep well hydrated with lots of water. Take any opportunity to get out of the sun for a bit, and sit down for a break when ever you feel like you could use one.

Who has encountered problems using your tickets or dining plan on your magic bands? On our last trip, we went straight to the water parks, and our bands wouldn't scan, so we had to go to customer service. He had to get on the phone and call someone to get it fixed. It took probably 20-30 minutes and all of our 7 bands had to be slid under the window to him - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things - but when you are itching to go, it's a little annoying. We may do something similar again. Is there anything we should do differently, or is this just what happens?

The first time we went to Disney, we got to the hotel really early, dropped our stuff with Bell Services, got our tickets, and went straight to DHS. The next 7 years, we were staying at POR, and got to the hotel around 1:00 in the afternoon. We would get lunch there at the Riverside Mill, then check in. If our room was ready, we would drop our stuff off first. If the room wasn't ready, then we would just leave our stuff in the car, and hop the boat over to Disney Springs, where we would do a bit of shopping, and have supper, then we would take the boat back up to POR, and get settled into our room.

The last two years, we have stayed offsite. We still kind of follow the same idea. We get into the area around 1:00 in the afternoon, go to Disney Springs for some shopping, and supper, and then go get settled into the house.

1st trip we got a rental car from the CCC, went to Walmart, then came back and chilled at the pool on the 1st day - honestly that was kind of hectic for us (going offsite/Walmart), but we also had a split stay that trip and the rental was convenient. We have since vowed not to do a rental car while at WDW (also now the pay for parking totally kills any interest in it).

Last trip/2015 we got our room assignment while riding DME, "re-checked in" at the desk, got our mugs (we were on the dining plan), picked up our Garden Grocer order form bell services, got things set up in our room, then we headed to MK. That worked out fairly well until a bad storm rolled in and we had to dash out a little early. We did not have any band problems and also had a 2nd set we used from our previous trip.

This upcoming trip we are hoping to do something similar: online check in early, hopefully get our room assignment as we arrive, grab the groceries from bell services, wipe things down and unpack, maybe grab a quick bite from Captain Cooks, take a quick dip in the pool, head to HS for the evening.

I'm interested, how did it work out?

Typically, the organizer sets up a "ghost" account and adds everyone participating as a guest. The organizer shares the login credentials with the group who then invite all members of their party on to the ghost account. Payments are made via PayPal /Apple Pay or whatever works best.

Our flight lands at 5:50pm so we will grab DME, head right to BWV and (hopefully) head right to our room! We leave Victoria at 5:45am so by the time we get to the room, we are going to be exhausted. Dinner and sleep will be the only things we are going to worry about then it's up early for our first Epcot day!

Question about grocery delivery: last time we went, we used Garden Grocer. Are they still recommended or is there another company I should look at using?

Our flight lands at 5:50pm so we will grab DME, head right to BWV and (hopefully) head right to our room! We leave Victoria at 5:45am so by the time we get to the room, we are going to be exhausted. Dinner and sleep will be the only things we are going to worry about then it's up early for our first Epcot day!

Yeah, that would do me in too. We leave home at 5:30 am to get to the airport, but have a direct flight and get in before noon, then factor in 3-4 hours with MDE and stuff, and only plan like maybe 3-4 relaxed hours in the park.

Question about grocery delivery: last time we went, we used Garden Grocer. Are they still recommended or is there another company I should look at using?

We looked at a few of the others (InstaCart, Amazon Fresh, Shipt, etc.) and wound up back with Garden Grocer with the 10% discount for ordering more than 60 days out. We don't have Prime and at the end of the day GG was easier, though their prices have gone up. We just get perishable basics and plan to bring a few items with us like cereal, Cliff Bars, etc. I have heard a lot about InstaCart though too, but it's not something we use regularly so...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter