***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

We have the opportunity to stay in a studio at either AKL or AKV. We have not stayed in either one before so any advantages or disadvantages to either of them?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

We have the opportunity to stay in a studio at either AKL or AKV. We have not stayed in either one before so any advantages or disadvantages to either of them?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

I'm going on the assumption you mean to stay at AKV - Jambo or AKV - Kidani? (AKL is the hotel side and no studios)

There is of course the difference in the building location and the amenities in each one. Jambo has Mara QS, Boma and Jiko for dining. The pool is one of our favorite onsite for relaxing. You would be on the 5th floor there. Kidani does some QS out of Sanaa in the morning and at the pool bar. And Sanaa is the one table service there - it's very good! Kidani is all DVC so you could be on any floor and if you're on a lower floor you'll be closer to the level of the animals. The pool is nice there although a little smaller but it has a good kids water play area that Jambo does not have.

For the difference in the rooms it's mostly in the bathroom area. At Jambo there are double sinks in an alcove area and the toilet and tub/shower are in their own room. At Kidani the entire bathroom is in a room. 1 sink in the area with the tub/shower and the toilet is in a water closet within the bathroom.

For buses - the park buses stop at Kidani first then Jambo and then head directly to whichever park they are going to. DS buses stop at Jambo first then Kidani.

In general Kidani is a bit more peaceful/relaxed and Jambo has more activity. They also have a van shuttle running between the two and no matter which one you stay at you can use all the amenities at the other building including the pools.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of "chat" going on in the thread right now - so while I'm waiting for ROFR on my second attempt at a contract (1st was taken) I've got a conversation starter.

So what is the #1 thing you like about AKV/AKL. Sure we all like a bunch of stuff - but what really stands out.

For me it's the food. Sanaa may be my favorite restaurant on property, and certainly my favorite if you eliminate the Signature restaurants. The Mara is definitely my favorite resort QS. I haven't been to Jiko a lot but the meals we've had there were stellar. And while I'm not a huge buffet fan - Boma ranks pretty high on the buffet list as well.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of "chat" going on in the thread right now - so while I'm waiting for ROFR on my second attempt at a contract (1st was taken) I've got a conversation starter.

So what is the #1 thing you like about AKV/AKL. Sure we all like a bunch of stuff - but what really stands out.

For me it's the food. Sanaa may be my favorite restaurant on property, and certainly my favorite if you eliminate the Signature restaurants. The Mara is definitely my favorite resort QS. I haven't been to Jiko a lot but the meals we've had there were stellar. And while I'm not a huge buffet fan - Boma ranks pretty high on the buffet list as well.

There isn’t a whole lot I don’t like about AKV. It has always been one of my favorite places to stay on property. The dining options are second to none. I’m not even bothered by the longer bus ride to the parks.

I’ve eaten at Sanaa but haven’t really explored Kidani at all.

Me and the wife will be staying there this weekend. We own at CCV, but would love an AKV contract as well

Maybe I can talk her into it.......

Ah Pete, I’d love to take part but unfortunately I’m yet to get ‘home’ to Animal Kingdom Lodge as my first trip isn’t until September 2021. I can say that as a Brit I’m certainly excited about good Indian food at Sanaa, it’s one thing I struggle to find when I’m in WDW.

I love all of the different places around the resort that you can hang out/relax and the different atmospheres they all provide. There are a variety of bars, fire pits, overlooks, etc. where you can just relax and enjoy the atmosphere of the lodge. I cannot wait to be back in January!!!!

Best parts of AKV? Everything! The animals. The relaxing element. The cast members. The store and pools.

Above all, the one thing I keep coming back to and that I'm thankful for buying into AKV verses any other resort is the large variety of room categories and some very affordable point/night costs all the way up to those club level rooms. AKV has allowed me to take my kids on many many trips over the years, and if I ever get stuck at AKV with no other place to reserve, I'm still happy as a clam.

Last edited:

*shhhhh* we like it quiet! Then I can still get my value rooms at 11 months! :D Seriously, though, we love the atmosphere - the whole resort is so relaxing but there's just the most amazing little details everywhere. And the 2-bedroom value rooms for the cost of a 1bd standard. Yeah, that's pretty amazing too - but definitely NOT a reason to buy AKV. I was really glad you didn't mention the value rooms on the 7-in-7. I love having the option of Mara or 3 different table service restaurants. The gift shop is amazing - I think only Poly comes close at the other resorts. Giraffes. Where else can you see giraffes AT YOUR HOTEL!

I’d have to say affordable point values. And I don’t mean Value rooms. It’s just so much more affordable than most of the other resorts.

Yeah there’s the animals, the parking at Kidani and the food. But, if I have to pick, it’s the points.

My wife and I are staying in a standard view studio. Our balcony overlooks the savanna and yesterday we saw zebras, giraffes, and other animals. This view for 13 points a night on the weekend? I’m very happy right now.

I’ve been trying to convince the wife to add on a AKL contract...

Last edited:
Why AKV? We bought AKV bc the price per point was lower (than Poly), the contract length was longer (than regular OKW), the resale contracts were easier to find (than BLT), and the variety of room sizes and point values... but we had never even set foot in AKL! Stayed at BCV, loved the walk to Epcot but meh on the resort - other than IG, we liked POR better than BCV, so we figured that AKV would be fine. Bought an awesome loaded contract in Nov 2017, stayed at VGC, Poly, and BWV before our first stay at AKV. Yup, the standard view with a Savanna and giraffes did us in too! We'll stay at Poly again when we don't mind a studio for a short trip, but other than that, if we're making the resort choice, AKV for sure! The 2bd value is a unicorn we love but 1bd at Kidani gives us 2 bathrooms, separate sleeping surfaces for the kids, relatively low points, and easy to book.

A little different - what doesn't stand out? :) The one and only thing IMO is it could use walking to a park or some other cool way to get to AK. And a bit more zing at the pools (an area where DVC has cared a lot about "industry standards") but even so the Jambo pool is one of our favorites. Dining, design, programs etc. are all excellent there. Perhaps the most complete onsite resort overall if I had to pick one to give that designation. Jambo really - Kidani needed an actual QS and bigger pool to get that bump up.

Tops though is the animals.

My wife and I just returned from our quick stay at AKL. Like I previously mentioned, we were very happy with our standard room. We were in room #5382, which was all the way down the hall in Jambo House. I’ve stayed at AKL previously, just never using DVC. Our room fine. The carpet and furniture were a little worn, but nothing major. The bed was comfortable and I was able to sleep until 6:30 am, when a family was being loud outside my door.

My only complaint has to do with some of the people staying there, not on the resort itself. On our bus ride last night, it was my wife and I, along with a family with small children, and three just absolutely trashed twenty somethings. We were returning from Epcot so I’m assuming they over drank at Food and Wine. They were just letting the F-bombs fly and talking about inappropriate things. I wanted to say something to them but did not feel like getting into a Disney fight.

Too much information everywhere.... I'm getting confused, someone please tell me where to request a room with a good view in Jambo Deluxe Studio - Savanna View and how to request it. I rented DVC

Thanks
Love My Dis Fam

I can not answer the where to request, I am curious about that myself.

Did you rent through an agency? If so, I would contact them to ask your owner to put in the request for you. If you are working directly with the owner you can just ask them.

Hi,
We are looking at renting points to stay at AKL over Thanksgiving week 2020. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any idea of how likely it would be to secure a value studio through a rental service if we book right at 11 months out? I know these rooms go fast, but certain services that take a deposit will book as soon as they find the reservation. Just curious if anyone had success doing this?

We LOVE AKL nad love renting points to stay.

The food is definitely a stand out. Its or kind of food and Sanaa is a favorite.
The greenness of the whole place. It's like coming back to an oasis after the parks.
The cast member are amazing.

Hi,
We are looking at renting points to stay at AKL over Thanksgiving week 2020. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any idea of how likely it would be to secure a value studio through a rental service if we book right at 11 months out? I know these rooms go fast, but certain services that take a deposit will book as soon as they find the reservation. Just curious if anyone had success doing this?

I'd place the odds very low. I'd wonder if a rental service would even attempt to secure that? Perhaps with a second option and I'd have high expectations that the backup would be the one they could get for you.

Hi,
Thanksgiving week is a more popular time of year, like Kat said, low chance.
You'd have a chance if you rented directly from an owner who was willing to walk a reservation, but you'd also be paying a premium for that service and might as well go with a standard studio which I'm sure you'll be able to get anyway without walking.

Last edited:

#1 thing we like? We're not sure. The numbers made more sense for other resorts. The transportation option stinks. The halls are long. It's far away. The dues are fairly high. It's always available anyway. So what was it? We're not sure, it just feels...right.

I told my SO - I decided on AK and put an offer in. SO's response: logic aside, that's what I would have picked. But neither of us had a solid reason as to why. I think that speaks volumes about the magic of AKL.

If we had to try, the safari is neat. There's a wow factor when you walk in, the halls, the people. The rooms are large and affordable. It's relaxing and you don't feel like you're a part of the hustle and bustle of Disney. But really the thing that stands out, is that it doesn't stand out at all. It just feels right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter