The new search system- problems, observations, issues

Well it looks as if the new search engine will do what it is intended to do. It will decrease the load on the server. It will decrease it because it does not function as people here would like it to and people will stop using it. Its just another case where others tell us what we need and don't listen to what we tell them we want. The only reason I used the search was to track my most resent post and that of others. It worked great and was very quick. That is what I want back and it seems I am not alone....smjj

We really need the "find all posts by user search option".

NJBlackBerry said:
And if the search features (and New Posts) fail, it will most assuredly lessen the load on the servers as people give up and move on to another board, or at least spend less time on one.

When is "New Posts" going to work again?
I wish someone would answer this question.

Well I have found the search by topic somewhat useful....but that usefulness is far les that the "new posts" function. If I had my choice I'd take the "new posts" function back in a heartbeat. Without it the boards are very difficult to navigate......

Dan Murphy said:
The 'advanced search' seems very limited, unless I am missing something. It is quick though.

Also, just tried a search using my name and came up with nothing found.

I agree. The search is way too limited!

WebmasterKathy said:
A search that only hits the starting post of each thread is not at all useful for me.

ITA :thumbsup2

Chuck S said:
We really need the "find all posts by user search option".
I agree! That's what I've used the search function for almost every time. The "advanced search" doesn't seem at all advanced. :guilty:

Just like everyone else it seems, I used the search to find post I have been involved in. Without the ability to search for those post the search feature is worthless to me. Honestly, I can't spend the time trying to find all the post that I have posted to and without being able to search for them my posting days are numbered.

Ok how about we reduce the stress level a few notches!
As I said this is new, we are working on it right now.
We do realize a lot of these things are neccesary

I don't like the new search. The advanced search is very limited.

BoardTracker said:
The main aim of this search is to find info on a specific topic...
So, BT, would I be correct, when you refer to this search, to think your firm does have other searches available, ones that would be more relavant to this particular BB?

ETA---I just clicked on the 'Find More Posts By WB Alex' and it just brings me to a general search page. :confused3 I was going to see if he posted any links on any of the other boards to direct folks from them to respond here to get a more overall consensus of how the new search is working. Can't do it.

Honest opinion? Welllllllll...I guess I don't really like it much. What was wrong with the old Search engine?

A couple of thoughts...
Just did a search and no posts past August 6th were showing up.
The Advanced Search doesn't seem very advanced to me. I can't do a title/subject search as easily as I used to be able to do.
The "dog" is cute, but what exactly is his/her purpose? Is it to slow posters down or something? Were people hitting the "Search" button too often while beginning a Search and gumming up the system? Really, I'm interested, I'd like to know.
This seems to be a "fix" that solves an internal issue affecting customer satisfaction but it also has the unwanted result of making the general technology in question less useful to the customer.

agnes!
PS - This is OT, but has anyone here "ever had a shock" :rolleyes: ?

WebmasterAlex said:
Ok how about we reduce the stress level a few notches!
As I said this is new, we are working on it right now.
We do realize a lot of these things are neccesary

I don't see anybody stressing! Just the posting of honest observations, problems, and issues like you requested! :thumbsup2

At lease the NEW POST is not disabled .

But what good does it do to just bring you to the general search.

I'm and most don't really stick to a certian thread or area of the forum .

You have also done such a great job at adding different ones as well now you have to go through each one to see if YOU CAN HELP or that it's something that can help you.

It does look like you will be getting a lot more hits and cross activity.It also will put more pressure on the MODS to move things around that don't belong or could get more answers that are in the wrong area as well.

Hi all,
Is there anyway that the "new post" option will be enabled again.Usally i log in and hit "new post" to see what's been happening that day or what i missed.

I got an idea....how about when we click on "new posts" its shows new posts instead of a search engine...and if we want to do a search, we click on "search"....works for me. :thumbsup2

Dan Murphy said:
So, BT, would I be correct, when you refer to this search, to think your firm does have other searches available, ones that would be more relavant to this particular BB?

ETA---I just clicked on the 'Find More Posts By WB Alex' and it just brings me to a general search page. :confused3 I was going to see if he posted any links on any of the other boards to direct folks from them to respond here to get a more overall consensus of how the new search is working. Can't do it.

By "this search" I was refering to boardtracker search specifically.

As Alex posted above this is a 'work in progress' in terms of integration. The features such as 'todays posts' or 'new posts' are not actually search functions even though in vbulletin they are handled by the search.php script so we are working on enabling those specific features here.

I see. Thanks, BT.

Is there any method currently (I know I might be missing something) to find all posts from a particular poster? We used to have the Member List function, but that has been disabled for a long time. The most commonly used method to find a poster since then was to click on the link I mentioned a few posts prior, or click on the Public Profile link in a user's name, then click on the 'find all posts by user' or the 'find all threads started by user' links.

agnes! said:
Just did a search and no posts past August 6th were showing up.
There are threads right up to today..

The Advanced Search doesn't seem very advanced to me. I can't do a title/subject search as easily as I used to be able to do.
How do you mean? To do such a search is even easier than before and will return much more relevant results.. you don't actually need to specify 'search only in titles' anymore since it will automatically search based on relevance and matches in titles result in higher relevance. Many of the options on the old search are simply not required to get relevant results with boardtracker search since its a proper search engine designed for full text searching of large amounts of data.

The "dog" is cute, but what exactly is his/her purpose? Is it to slow posters down or something?
It's just there to indicate that the search is in progress so you dont think its not working while the results are being fetched from our servers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter