The new search system- problems, observations, issues

W

WebmasterAlex

Please use this thread to post any problems, observations or issues with the new search system

The 'advanced search' seems very limited, unless I am missing something. It is quick though.

Also, just tried a search using my name and came up with nothing found.

I keep getting error messages. If I click on "NEW POSTS," I receive the message Searching has been disabled. Not working for me at all. :sad2:

The only options are 'date thread was started' and 'revelency'. Both are useless. Please fix or bring back the old search. This one stinks!!!...smjj

I hate to say it but this new search's Advance Search is practically useless... I searched a term that would come up with 20-30 threads on the old search, but the new search only brought up 1.

:confused3

I tried to do a search and came up with "search disabled".

smjj said:
The only options are 'date thread was started' and 'revelency'. Both are useless. Please fix or bring back the old search. This one stinks!!!...smjj
Once you're on the Search page, if you can only see these two options, then you have to click on the "Advanced Search" link on this page to bring up the extra options such as what forum to search, search by username etc.

Though I would still like to see the "Search titles only" (e.g. not body text) option come back. I found that very useful.

It's not whether the search engine is working (which may be a problem), but I can't click on "New Posts". This has been disabled.

For Category Search, does the new system use some sort of AI to determine the logical category? How does it know if something is 'Arts A Humanities', or 'Culture & Society' or 'Social Science', or other categories? Sounds neat though.

Also, I thought the prior method of 'Date Searching' gave more choices, and also the 'before or after' was very useful; this seems to be only 'after'.

Additionally, I thought the 'Least and Most' was very helpful at times, as was the 'Sort by' function. And, as mentioned above, having searching choice of total post or just title is missed, as is the choice of searching for posts that the user posted in, OP or not, or was the OP.

I have not tried it yet, not sure how accurate the member name has to be. The prior system allowed you to uncheck the 'Exact Name' box, so if you, for example were searching for Dan Murphy, but did not know if I had an 'e' in my last name, you could enter 'dan murp' only, unchecked the 'Exact Name' box, and it would find me, maybe some others, but it would catch me too.

Searching within a thread does not work.

Overall, I say it is pretty rudimentary and basic. It does seem to have speeded up the board operation.

EEYOREMAMA said:
I keep getting error messages. If I click on "NEW POSTS," I receive the message Searching has been disabled. Not working for me at all. :sad2:

I'm also getting this message and can't do a new post.

Jennifer

steve_rob said:
Once you're on the Search page, if you can only see these two options, then you have to click on the "Advanced Search" link on this page to bring up the extra options such as what forum to search, search by username etc.

Though I would still like to see the "Search titles only" (e.g. not body text) option come back. I found that very useful.

Except if I search by user name it always comes back with 0 results

It's not letting me search other posts by a user. If you click on the user's name and then try to check their other posts it says the function is disabled and if you go into their member page the only option now is checking threads they started where it used to be threads they started and posts made. This function is useful when you remember something someone said but can't recall where they said it and checking your own past posts.

Overall I'm finding the new search functions more trouble than they are worth. Way too many messages telling me it's disabled or finding no matches when I know they exist. Very frustrating!

steve_rob said:

Tried it. It still stinks. I search for my username and it comes up with no matches..smjj

smjj said:
Tried it. It still stinks. I search for my username and it comes up with no matches..smjj

Same here. I know there's a thread where my name is mentioned on the Resorts board, but when I do a search for the word "rhonda" it says there are no matches. :confused3

if I search on a particular forum (ie parks) it says disabled, but if I search from the all forums (on the bar, above) it lets me search.

Also, I'm unable to find all posts from a particular person from the drop down list that appears when I click on their name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!