The new search system- problems, observations, issues

smjj said:
Tried it. It still stinks. I search for my username and it comes up with no matches..smjj
Not sure what exactly you searched for but it does find results for your username.

Dan Murphy said:
Also, just tried a search using my name and came up with nothing found.
There was a small bug affecting usernames with a space like yours, it has been fixed.

BeccaGrace said:
It's not letting me search other posts by a user. If you click on the user's name and then try to check their other posts it says the function is disabled and if you go into their member page the only option now is checking threads they started where it used to be threads they started and posts made. This function is useful when you remember something someone said but can't recall where they said it and checking your own past posts.

Ditto!!!! I used that feature/link CONSTANTLY!!!!

Will there be or is there a way to do this now that the link is gone?

BoardTracker said:
Not sure what exactly you searched for but it does find results for your username.

There was a small bug affecting usernames with a space like yours, it has been fixed.

Just tried it again and still no luck. It gives me one result that was almost 1 month old. The old search was such that you could plug in your username and it would come back with threads you posted to in date sequence. It now has them displayed in no order that I can see. This function was very useful when you were gone for a week or so and wanted to search for post you had made or responded to...smjj

smjj said:
Tried it. It still stinks. I search for my username and it comes up with no matches..smjj

BoardTracker said:

When I search on username smjj, the most recent hit I get is from August 6. smjj obviously has posts on this thread (as well as many others more recent than the hit), and those are not found by the search. Not very helpful...

WebmasterKathy said:
When I search on username smjj, the most recent hit I get is from August 6. smjj obviously has posts on this thread (as well as many others more recent than the hit), and those are not found by the search. Not very helpful...

This is because it is a thread search not reply search. It will search all threads started by a user.

BoardTracker said:
This is because it is a thread search not reply search. It will search all threads started by a user.
Not all that helpful, BT. Many, many more people reply to threads rather than start them. Many never start a thread, only reply. Those folks are not searchable.

As example, on Theme park board, there are (as of the moment) 96,644 threads listed, 1,099,128 replies; an 11.3:1 ratio. And that is on a board where numbers of replies per thread are small. On other boards, where the back and forth chatter goes on infinitum, the the thread:reply ratio would be even greater. Many, many search items are missed that way, in fact, most.

Example, I did a search on you, BT, seeing as you have been around since '05, but have not started any threads, you can't be found.

Seach has been disabled
that's the response I receive. Is there a new area to click on because I don't see any options to define the search.
Thanks!

WebmasterKathy said:
A search that only hits the starting post of each thread is not at all useful for me.

DITTO. As it is now, I will not be using it very much as if is inferior to the one it replaces. I want to see post I responded to not just the start of a thread...smjj

Is there some way to search by new/recent posts? I miss being able to search by New Posts!!! :sad:

I used to do a search on my user name to see those posts that I've contributed to, but not subscribed to. I can't seem to do that anymore. Searching on my user name only shows those threads that I've started. Apparently posting to a thread doesn't automatically subscribe you, so now what can I do to find those threads?

By not being able to see all the posts that either others or I have replied to, I find the new searching useless for me as well.

I agree these boards are useless without a "new posts" option :rolleyes: . Is everyone talking about the "search" that is at the top of the thread next to "new Posts"? Because there use to be one that was at the bottom of the page that you could enter a seach with key words or the persons name, that's the one I liked but I haven't had that in quite awhile (at least I haven't been able to find it). I also liked when you could look at the bottom of the thread and there would be related threads. All these features enhanced the boards.

Not being able to search for new posts really stinks. That is the fastest way to "catch up" with whats is going on or hot topics.

The main aim of this search is to find info on a specific topic and since usually all posted replies should relate to the thread they are posted in you will find very relevant results when performing such a search.

Also you can further refine search by category and by forum and related forums giving you more ways to find info.

You can sort results by relevancy or by date so for example you can see the latest threads matching your search term. You can also restrict the scope of search by day, week, month, year or all time.. using this you can easily see/search all the threads posted in the last day.

You can search for threads by specific users including threads matching a search term, by a specifc user but searching for replies by users is limited at the moment although we are also working on this.

Of course another 'feature' of this search is that all the processing is done on our servers which removes all the load issues from disboards normally caused by the internal search and should result in faster board performance in general.

And if the search features (and New Posts) fail, it will most assuredly lessen the load on the servers as people give up and move on to another board, or at least spend less time on one.

When is "New Posts" going to work again?

NJBlackBerry said:
And if the search features (and New Posts) fail, it will most assuredly lessen the load on the servers as people give up and move on to another board, or at least spend less time on one.

When is "New Posts" going to work again?

I was just about to click off when I saw your post. Agree 100% :thumbsup2

NJBlackBerry said:
Yep :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter