The Movie Up

Russel (the little boy) seemed pretty well fleshed out to me. Loved the Wilderness Scout stuff. Sounds like he has an absentee father and no mother (sounds like he has either a stepmom or foster mom?? At one point in the movie he said she wasn't his mom).

I loved Russell, I thought he turned out to be a great character, and they handled his development well, letting you get to know him as Carl does. Here's how I interpreted his family situation - I'm going to put this bit in white type since it involves the end of the movie; just swipe your mouse cursor over to highlight and read: Russell does have a Mom, we see her at the badge ceremony at the end - Dug is sitting with her. I took it that Russell's parents were divorced, and Dad had moved out. Russell says he tries to call his Dad, but "Phyllis" (who is probably answering the phone at Dad's new place) says Russell bothers him too much - I took it that Phyllis was Dad's new wife/girlfriend; that's who Russell says is not his Mom.

One of my favorite Russell lines, when Carl warns him he'll get eaten by tigers: "There's no tigers in South America! [points at badge] Zoology!"

Saw this today with my son-7, 2 nephews-6 and my 3 yr old niece. The first half of the movie was a constant- is it over yet?

75% of the movie is about the elderly gentleman, and highlights how nasty and self centered thes old curmudgeons can be. The other nasty old guy has trained attack dogs that he sics on the kid. NICE.:mad:

They spent maybe 30 seconds developing the little boys character- father left- he has only his mom?:confused3

BORING. For old people. BLECH. How many prune jokes can you fit into one disney movie-!:headache:
I thinked you missed the message.The movie shows that though Carl was elderly and cranky, he had just lost l his life long spouse /true love and didn't want to give up the only thing he had left of her...his house and its memories. Yes he was mean to people, and yes he clocked the construction worker who knocked over his mailbox..But he wasn't really mean( as often the elderly are viewed)He was misunderstood..The message is that though life gets in the way and you frequently have these wonderful plans that so often don't come to be...the TRUE adventure lies in the journey NOT the destination.You are never TOO old to have an adventure either.Sorry you didn't like it.

Anyone who didn't enjoy this film is going to be in the minority. I thought it might be my favorite Pixar movie yet (can't judge it totally on the first time I see it). Carl and Ellie reminded me very much of my own grandparents. They traveled around the world together, were very much in love, and inseparable until she died last summer.

Great movie for all ages:3dglasses

I LOVED UP!! It had a really great message. I had won Advanced Screening tickets and got to see it last Wed. Great Great Movie!!

I also got to meet the characters of Up, at DHS on May 15th, they were so funny! Here is my pic.

upcharacopy.jpg

This movie really touched me..I work alot with the elderly ..alot of them can at first seem cranky, and it is very easy to SNAP JUDGE them..But honestly alot of them have lost their loved ones, their kids are very busy with their own lives( if they have kids) and they are experiencing great feelings of loss and despair...Imagine having lived you whole life on your own, you have a house full of memories...then something happens and Suddenly to be told you can not live alone anymore in the house you have lived in much of your life...where all you know and all your memories are.It is no wonder some of them come across as bitter or cranky..I know I would be too_Our local nursing home brought some of its residents to the show and they absolutely LOVED it.

Since this thread is more about the movie than the theme park meet and greet characters, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter