The Movie Up

A few of the user reviews at Yahoo said that it was sad/depressing. Is that true? My sons are 9 and 8, and I wanted to take them tomorrow.

The critic reviews seem incredible thus far.
Sad in some parts, but I noticed more adults sniffling (including me!;)) than kids. This movie was great, very touching and funny.

OT..but we saw this in 3D. I didn't think the 3D was all that impressive. I thought it was just my eyes, but when we see Philamagic at WDW, I can see the 3D effects just fine.:confused3

At our showing, we had the TS3 ad, a preview(the movie that has the guinea pigs as special agents, LOL) and the short(Partly Cloudy) which was cute.

We saw it in 3D last night (they were showing it also on an Ultra Screen- not in 3D) That is one great movie! We are in our 50's, went with DD, DSiL
(30) and DGrD 6. Everyone loved it! we were at an 8:45pm show- and it was packed- all ages. got a huge round of applause at the end.

We loved that it had themes that appealed to the adults, but still kept the little ones captivated.

Make sure you take the time to see this one if you can. :worship:

I can't wait to see it! Going to make it official and watch it at DTD in anaheim on thursday!

Make sure you turn in your movie stubs for Disney Movie Rewards points!

I just saw it tonight - it was incredible! I was telling my friend that Pixar seems to get romance more correct than any other movies I've ever seen. First Wall-e and Eve and now Carl and Ellie.
I saw it 3-D and wore my glasses but everyone I saw it with agreed that we didn't really see what was so 3-D about it. Not that it mattered, but I wonder how different it was from the "regular" version

We saw it this afternoon - in 3D. Loved it. Did anyone else notice the little girl in an apartment watching the house fly by - she has black hair with pigtails that look a lot like Mickey ears. I forgot to look for the pizza truck so I missed it. I told my DH as we left I want a baby Kevin toy - and a DUG too.

I just saw it tonight - it was incredible! I was telling my friend that Pixar seems to get romance more correct than any other movies I've ever seen. First Wall-e and Eve and now Carl and Ellie.
I saw it 3-D and wore my glasses but everyone I saw it with agreed that we didn't really see what was so 3-D about it. Not that it mattered, but I wonder how different it was from the "regular" version

So should we not spend an extra 6 bucks to watch the 3d version? That 6 dollars could be spent on popcorn

We seen it today, great movie, very touching in the beginning. I got misty.
The building that had "South America" across the top of it reminded me of the buildings at AK.

The theater was pretty full when we were there and when it got to the really sad part (at the end of the montage), you could hear a pin drop.

i didnt even realize that the darn movie was in 3d until we were all done watching it...but it was very cute

I cried repeatedly during the movie......very moving, very touching. I wasn't alone, half the theater was sniffling (and the other half were trying not to look like softies)

6 year old loved it too. We say the regular one, and not the 3D version.

Saw this today with my son-7, 2 nephews-6 and my 3 yr old niece. The first half of the movie was a constant- is it over yet?

75% of the movie is about the elderly gentleman, and highlights how nasty and self centered thes old curmudgeons can be. The other nasty old guy has trained attack dogs that he sics on the kid. NICE.:mad:

They spent maybe 30 seconds developing the little boys character- father left- he has only his mom?:confused3

BORING. For old people. BLECH. How many prune jokes can you fit into one disney movie-!:headache:

Maybe I'm not your typical Mom, but the only movie that ever made me cry was the Green Mile.

This movie was boring and almost exclusively focused on two mean old men with nasty attitudes and very little respect for children.:sad2:

The first old guy is really rude to the little boy. The second old guy sics his trained attack dogs on the little boy. NICE.

They spent maybe 30 seconds developing the little boys character.

This is a PERFECT example of Disney trying to reel in the senior population and the kids to MAXIMIZE profits.

My 7 year old DID NOT GET THE PRUNE SMELL JOKES. They used that one about 5 times. Come on.

I also felt that it was very scathing and insulting to scouting.

Saw this today with my son-7, 2 nephews-6 and my 3 yr old niece. The first half of the movie was a constant- is it over yet?

75% of the movie is about the elderly gentleman, and highlights how nasty and self centered thes old curmudgeons can be. The other nasty old guy has trained attack dogs that he sics on the kid. NICE.:mad:

They spent maybe 30 seconds developing the little boys character- father left- he has only his mom?:confused3

BORING. For old people. BLECH. How many prune jokes can you fit into one disney movie-!:headache:

TO each their own. I liked it, Dug was so funny!! Def. not Toy Story but cute movie/a little sad in parts though.

Amazing how different people can have such different opinions about the same movie!

I was stunned by the sensitivity shown towards the elderly---actually showing them as unique people who lived full lives, which is rare in our youth-focused society; when I saw it, everyone in the audience seemed truly moved at the more emotional scenes, not an easy thing to pull off with animation; it didn't sugarcoat or dumb things down for the audience by making everything perfect at the end (i.e. Russell's father suddenly becomes a responsible, loving parent, etc.) which lesser studios probably would have done since it's easier. A big thumbs up to Pixar for not underestimating the audience's intelligence!:thumbsup2

Karla B.

Maybe I'm not your typical Mom, but the only movie that ever made me cry was the Green Mile.

This movie was boring and almost exclusively focused on two mean old men with nasty attitudes and very little respect for children.:sad2:

The first old guy is really rude to the little boy. The second old guy sics his trained attack dogs on the little boy. NICE.

They spent maybe 30 seconds developing the little boys character.

This is a PERFECT example of Disney trying to reel in the senior population and the kids to MAXIMIZE profits.

My 7 year old DID NOT GET THE PRUNE SMELL JOKES. They used that one about 5 times. Come on.

I also felt that it was very scathing and insulting to scouting.

Maybe the little boy deserved it? lol! jk, haven't seen it yet but am pretty stoked about it!

LOVE all Pixar movies!

I have heard it's pretty sad though..

Wow, JimmyJr'sMom, you completely missed the whole point of the movie. It was to show you that you are never too old to have a new adventure. It tried to show you that it is okay to let go of the past and have new and exciting experiences. I found that the focus of the movie was the effect that Carl and Russell had on each other, and how they both benefitted by knowing each other. I also thought that the little boy was a well drawn out character. He was shown as a bookworm type misfit who had emotional issues because of a mostly absent father - pretty heavy stuff for a cartoon character. This movie was perfect for all ages. It wasn't just "dumbed down" for children.

p.s. - I was brought to tears when Russell was trying to climb the garden hose to get back into the house. When Carl asked him if he was on the porch yet and the camera panned out to show Russell exhausted, six inches above Carl's head - well that was the biggest laugh I have had in a movie in a long time.

I have to disagree that the movie was insulting to scouting. My oldest son is an Eagle scout, and my other son is working on his Eagle. Our family is very involved in Scouting. Both of my sons went to see the movie with me at the first showing at 12:01 AM. They thought it was great to see "real" Boy Scout merit badges on his sash.

I felt Pixar did a wonderful job with the characters. We loved their adventures. Enjoyed the silliness of the dogs and bird. And, what of the little boys loyalty?

We all laughed and cried, and enjoyed it. popcorn::

Wow- did we see the same movie?

The elderly gentleman (Carl) was dealing with his grief. I didn't see him as self-centered at all. True, the other old guy was pretty nasty. He was the villian of the movie- I'm pretty sure he was supposed to come off as mean.

Russel (the little boy) seemed pretty well fleshed out to me. Loved the Wilderness Scout stuff. Sounds like he has an absentee father and no mother (sounds like he has either a stepmom or foster mom?? At one point in the movie he said she wasn't his mom).

Kevin was hilarious, as was Dug. Carl was heart wrenching, and funny as well. Loved the movie, start to finish.

I just saw the movie a few hours ago and thought it was so cute. I went with my friend and I swear she was tearing up on quite a few parts. The whole Carl and Ellie relationship was sad, as well as Russell and his dad. The show we saw was in 3D and yes, it does look cool in 3D. For us, everything was free since we work at the movie theater lol, but if the price is an extra $6 or so for 3D, you should just see the regular version. Overall, very cute movie and I can't wait to see the characters at Disney (that is if they're still there in September).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter