the matching t shirt things

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would never wear matching ANYTHING outside of Disney. But at Disney, we wear matching tie-dyes at least one day. It makes everyone easy to find, it helps CMs know that we are all together for queuing purposes and it makes for really great pictures.

On our first trip, I didn't even consider matching shirts- I didn't know it was such a popular thing but enjoyed seeing all the matching families.

On our second trip, I remembered people doing that, but didn't think the family would go for it and I wasn't that big on the idea either. Then my 6 yr old asked if we could wear matching shirts one day. I brushed him off, but he kept asking and asking, so I gave in and we wore matching shirts one day.

We had so much fun with it!! Easy to spot each other, compliments right and left and the CM at the Barnstormer let us ride a second time without getting off because he said he liked our shirts somuch. :lmao:

So no, we don't match at home, but at Disney, it was a lot of fun!

On my trip last week, I saw a few families wearing the same color shirt not necessarily matching design shirts. And I also saw lots of siblings with matching color shirts.

It is just dh and myself. At Disney and on cruises, we love to wear matching shirts - it's fun! We really don't have "that" many shirts that are the exact same, but we always wear the same color or theme - LSU, Saints, Disney, etc...

A better question would be: Why do people let these things bother them?

Generally, I could care less what others do, so long as they are not impeding on my vacation.

We're not matching shirt types, except the little kids - namely the girls. I can also see a little matching for extended-family photos and weddings- but that's about it.

I have seen some outfits that were, imo, over the top. I've seen little girls in tears because it's 100 degrees outside and their matchy-matchy outfit was loaded with crinloline, miserably uncomfortable shoes, scratchy hairbows, and just plain impractical frilly things, that make ride loading difficult. (think what brides endure when they try to use the restroom in a wedding gown). Mom yelling at thelittle girl that she has to wear it because mommy put all that effort into making it. Ugh! If it's making your kid miserable, then yeah it's impeding on my ability to enjoy my vacation. It bothers me to see kids treated that way. (Often mom is also wearing a matching adult version.)

I've also been pommeled by groups (esp of field trip kids) who cut lines to join up with their fellow group members. I'm fine if you are one to two people away from the rest of your group- I'm talking folks who get in line 20 minutes apart and start screaming to each other. I've also found such groups are fast and loose with rules like the no flash phtotography on dark rides rules. I think putting big groups in matching shirts contributes to a 'tribal' mentality.

Those are two examples where the matchy matchy thing goes too far. Both are caese where matching outfits really impedes MY ability to enjoy MY vacation.

Oh, one time we did see two older adults- say seniors- wearing matching light up led Space Mountain jackets on Space Mountain. That one was kind of a hoot! Especially since they were SO enthusiastic about the ride.

I think it might be a stretch to try and find causal link between wearing matching t-shirts and line-cutting.

I think it might be a stretch to try and find causal link between wearing matching t-shirts and line-cutting.

Um, sorry, but I've seen it many times over.

Search the DIS for 'tour groups' or 'cheerleaders' on the DIS! You'll find LOTS of folks posting similar experiences. I'd never single out any particular cultural group (which happens on the DIS), but cheerleader groups and tour groups (of all kinds) are notoriously rude! Even outside WDW.

They think since most of the folks in the boat, at the pool, etc. are in their group they are at liberty to take photos on dark rides, chant/cheer, cut in line, etc. (They have easily self identified in matching shirts.)

Honestly, I don't mind a little group enthusiasm, but flash photos on dark rides drives me nuts. So yeah, I look to see who was ruined my ride expereince, and all too often they are wearing a group outfit.

Oh, and then there were the two flights I had to take where half the plane was part of an athletic team. (on the way to WDW) Even before they boarded, everyone else on the plane was aware they werea group. It was impossible to NOT hear them unless one was completely deaf. They were also wearing their colors.

I am planning to do matching shirts with my mom and I am really excited about this!
But I am 24...

I probably wouldn't want to do this when I was in my teens.

Search the DIS for 'tour groups' or 'cheerleaders' on the DIS! You'll find LOTS of folks posting similar experiences. I'd never single out any particular cultural group (which happens on the DIS), but cheerleader groups and tour groups (of all kinds) are notoriously rude! Even outside WDW.

They think since most of the folks in the boat, at the pool, etc. are in their group they are at liberty to take photos on dark rides, chant/cheer, cut in line, etc. (They have easily self identified in matching shirts.)

Honestly, I don't mind a little group enthusiasm, but flash photos on dark rides drives me nuts. So yeah, I look to see who was ruined my ride expereince, and all too often they are wearing a group outfit.

Oh, and then there were the two flights I had to take where half the plane was part of an athletic team. (on the way to WDW) Even before they boarded, everyone else on the plane was aware they werea group. It was impossible to NOT hear them unless one was completely deaf. They were also wearing their colors.

I'm familiar enough with the stories. I just think the behavior will be there whether they wear matching t-shirts or not.

I force my family into matching shirts at least once per park - so four shirts. They make great pictures and you get a lot of attention from CM's, who love them. When people join us - my (80 yr old) parents, aunts, etc. I make shirts for them too. They complain but know they must comply (resistance is futile) and then they order extra copies of the pictures!

On our first trip together, my mother said no way was my Dad going to wear his shirt. And if he didn't, then clearly she didn't have to either. He wore his happily. On the next trip she called me weeks before to ask, "Which shirts are we going to wear? The tie-dye ones?" Apparently all the ladies in her exercise class loved the shirt and wanted me to make some for them too, but my mother wouldn't let me.

Anyway, we decided to go to Canada for our vacation this year. I said, just to get a rise out of my DD & DH, "So what color should our Niagara Falls shirts be - gotta be blue, right?" You should have seen their eyes bug out! :goodvibes

I know they actually like the shirts because they continue to wear them all the time, and we have a few photos of my DH in front of the Falls in a Mickey-head swirl shirt.

We have discovered that another benefit to matching tees with a larger family group is that you have fewer people cutting into the middle of your group at the ride entrances. It also provides a good visual for the CM's collecting FP's and loading the ride vehicles. It really is a good way to keep everyone together.

Agree with this 100%! When we've gone with extended family, groups of 8 or 9, it's so much easier to keep track of everyone.

And we enjoy the compliments we've gotten on our Mickey swirl head shirts too! We never wear matching shirts outside Disney but for our park trips it's part of the Disney magic for us.

I'm familiar enough with the stories. I just think the behavior will be there whether they wear matching t-shirts or not.

True but I think when people see matching shirts they just think tour groups, sort of reflex.

I don't think anyone here is talking about touring groups or cheerleaders. Everybody is referring to families and it IS a HUGE streach to say that families who wear matching shirts are more likely to be line cutters or take pictures on dark rides.

As for the "tortured" little girls, that is a COMPLETELY separate issue and again has next to nothing to do with wearing matching t-shirts.

It's totally cool if "matchy matchy" is not your thing, but to make unfavorable generalizations about those who do wear matching shirts is ridiculous.

:thumbsup2 I agree I don't think it has anything to do with these groups wearing matching t-shirts. They would behave that way no matter what they were wearing. I think it is cute when families are matching, I agree that most people would not do this outside of Disney but if they are comfortable enough to do this at the parks then good for them.

Even if I wanted to do it, there is NO way I could get my family on board. I don't get it either.

When u asked about matchy-matchy-I don't think you were referring to tour groups or girls in torture.

To each their own as has been said. We'll never be a matching shirt family(for which my dh is profoundly grateful,) but no judgment from me on those that choose to match!

It’s a fun thing I started doing. I love making them and for me it beats buying a $20 shirt in the park. It’s simple for us. No dh to consider and no teenagers. My son is 2 and doesn’t care what he wears. My daughter is 9 and likes them although this last trip she did say I made too many. I probably did. It was a 10 day trip and I think we had one for almost every day. Funny thing though when I asked her which one she had picked out she wanted me to skip making she had no answers. :lmao: And we don’t always match. My daughter likes a variety of the different designs we find on here. Sometimes I will get her or ds one for a specific character They’ll meet that day. We also had a set with the combo big sister, little brother, and mom. I found a Cinderella themed Mom name fill I put on a shirt for CRT.

It did make for some great pictures. I was especially fond of our pictures from the day we ate breakfast at Crystal Palace.

Photo0083FourBySix.jpg

The only other place we match is at sporting events at my alma mater. We might all have the same sweatshirt. We also had matching shirts at Sea World I also got on here. My children are still wearing theirs. Darn TS Debby ruined most of mine. I did a much better job at keeping them dry than myself.

When I was a kid, we went to California every summer to visit family. Every couple of years, my mom and her brother would their kids for a day at DL. Over the years we varied from 5 to 10 kids, all pre-teen, with 3 adults in charge. My uncle would have these T-shirts made, all the same bright color, with their surname on the back in big letters. This made it a lot easier to keep track of everyone.

If one of the kids wandered a bit, my uncle would start calling out their last name "Calling all H! I'm looking for a missing H!". Usually that would get us running back to stop the embarasement, but it also got everyone around looking, and sometimes they would say "He's over here!".

I don't remember any pictures from that era -- this was the late 50's into the 60's and we had a camera, a little Brownie, which would have been taking all black and white anyhow, so matching didn't matter for that. It was purely a safety matter.

My brother got married in Disney, about 130-150 people went down for it and he made up shirts for all of them which we weer supposed to wear the day after the wedding whatever park you were going to.

I have a pic somewhere of like 80 of us having breakfast at Cape May Cafe in them, pretty funny. We were only one flag away from being a tour group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter