The Gulf State Park Tradition...

Which week seems to work best in 2025?

• May 23rd to May 29th (Memorial day weekend and following week)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • May 30th to June 5th

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • June 6th to June 12th

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • June 13th to June 19th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • June 20th to June 26

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • June 27th to July 3rd

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wait, what?

Awe Ed. You know we look when we are down. Last trip we saw several places in Orange Beach and across the border in FL. We even took a day and drove over to Arc's neck of the panhandle and looked around Pace and Milton. We'll likely end up down there somewhere in a few years.

j

I thought you had sort of settled on a location on the Atlantic side below St. Augustine for when the time came.

You might talk with @tripleb at the DISMeet in November as they are in the panhandle area as well and have been for several years.

ED

Not real tech savvy. Does anyone know how to post at the top of thread with a poll for dates?

I thought you had sort of settled on a location on the Atlantic side below St. Augustine for when the time came.
We haven't really decided anywhere specific. We have probably waived off someplace right on the water and are considering someplace back. I think being up around I-10 makes more sense if we want to travel. No point in moving 2-3 hours south into FL if we will be driving to the NE or the West. I'll definitely talk to @tripleb. I didn't remember them moving south and we talked at the Pigeon Forge DIS meet.

j

We haven't really decided anywhere specific. We have probably waived off someplace right on the water and are considering someplace back. I think being up around I-10 makes more sense if we want to travel. No point in moving 2-3 hours south into FL if we will be driving to the NE or the West. I'll definitely talk to @tripleb. I didn't remember them moving south and we talked at the Pigeon Forge DIS meet.

j
I think you should take a look at my hood. If nothing else to rule it out. I'd love to show you around whenever you're in the area and have the time.

I think you should take a look at my hood. If nothing else to rule it out. I'd love to show you around whenever you're in the area and have the time.
Don,

I'd love to see your place. Last time we were down, the timing didn't work out. We'll be down for 2 weeks in November and we have to get it together. The RV Houses/Barndominiums/whatever they are called fascinate me. We have been thinking about finding something with a little land build/buy a "beachy" house and put up a nice pole barn for the MH, cars and toys.

j

Don,

I'd love to see your place. Last time we were down, the timing didn't work out. We'll be down for 2 weeks in November and we have to get it together. The RV Houses/Barndominiums/whatever they are called fascinate me. We have been thinking about finding something with a little land build/buy a "beachy" house and put up a nice pole barn for the MH, cars and toys.

j
Same except mountains not beaches.

First, I am interested after reading about previous trips.

DW only has a handful of personal days to use through the entire school year for any dates outside the Mid June to Mid August time frame when she is not tied to her classroom schedule.

@4077 I actually had no problem convincing my DW and DD to miss one day and fly down for a 4 day weekend this year since the weekend after DisMeet includes Veterans Day on 11/11. However, like you I cannot schedule to go to another in this way back to back.

For those that live in the MS/AL corridor. I was looking at the best route from StL to GSP. I've always gone down I-65 through Paducah/Nashville/B'ham to the Bay Minette exit. Google has always tried to route me down I-55 to US45 east of Memphis. Says it saves 50 miles and 20 minutes.

1708041169722.png

I've never been down US45. How is it? I thought I read it was a good divided 4 lane until the AL border outside Mobile. How about truck stops in south MS? I'll only need to stop once for fuel, but would rather do that when I get closer to GSP.

Pretty sure Google routes me away from the tunnel in Mobile.

I-65 isn't bad, but something different and shorter that avoids Nashville and B'ham would be nice too.

j

For those that live in the MS/AL corridor. I was looking at the best route from StL to GSP. I've always gone down I-65 through Paducah/Nashville/B'ham to the Bay Minette exit. Google has always tried to route me down I-55 to US45 east of Memphis. Says it saves 50 miles and 20 minutes.

View attachment 834327

I've never been down US45. How is it? I thought I read it was a good divided 4 lane until the AL border outside Mobile. How about truck stops in south MS? I'll only need to stop once for fuel, but would rather do that when I get closer to GSP.

I-65 isn't bad, but something different and shorter that avoids Nashville and B'ham would be nice too.

j

Well @tiggerdad comes that way when he heads to GSP so he's the expert. It's the most direct route for him.

But I get the same option from Tuscaloosa to take the interstate down to Meridian MS and pick up Hwy 45 and finish the way you show. And yes, you start down I-165 into downtown Mobile but then it has you get off and take a huge bridge up over the river and down the other side to Hwy 90 past the USS Alabama - so yes it avoids the tunnel. You want no part of the tunnel. :sad2:

So I tried the Hwy 45 route. Down and back.

Once.

IMO when I drove it, Hwy 45 had a very rough surface MOST of the way in MS (which is 4-lane with few lights as I recall). And yes, at the state line into Alabama, it narrows to 2 lanes through little towns (red lights) and slow cars before you finally make your way to I-65.

It was basically the same in reverse going home. I have not chosen it again. So I can't recommend it.

For me I like taking the interstate most of the way. Jim your route is off the interstate from where you enter TN all the way down to where Hwy 45 hits I-65. I know you would go through big cities via Nashville route and that has some non-interstate stretches too.

But for 20 minutes difference on your 12 hour drive, I find that the more interstate driving the better. I go up to Birmingham, down to Montgomery and Bay Minette via interstate. It adds 30 minutes on a 5 hr drive but the trade-off is worth it to me.

Since you asked. But you should try it once and then decide for yourself which you prefer.

Ed

PS - and as for gas stops in south MS on Hwy 45, it's been a few years but what I remember was a whole lot of NUTHIN' once you leave the Meridian area (middle of the state).

Last edited:
We are planning a trip to Glacier in the summer and the kids have so many dang activities the rest of summer. We are a slim chance, but I'll follow along in case I can wedge it in somewhere.

View attachment 834327

j
If it's 20 min out of the way to avoid I-55 south of New Madrid, MO through Memphis I'd stick to 65. That stretch is a tough drive.
giphy.gif

Jim, I've been that way a few times in the truck going to Chicago. I came down I55 to I155 through Dyersburg into Jackson, Tn. And getting into Mississippi its not too bad it's a little rough north or Meridian, and up around Tupelo (guess Mississippi needs to raise taxes on Michael) but it's not to bad with air ride. But is way less traffic compared to I65. Alabama is planning on or has started 4 laning Hwy 45, I'll check on this and let you know for sure. As far as truck stops, the last good truck stop south of Meridian area would be the Queen City truck stop in Meridian but it's off of I20 west, there is a little fuel stop in Buckatunna, Ms just north of the Al/Ms line that I had used before, they have 3 or truck isles. There is also a couple of Loves truck stops in Mobile but they are a little out of the way. Best bet would be Buc-ee's right off I10 on the beach express if you can make it there fuel wise. I will run Hwy 45 every time over running 65. Between B'ham and Montgomery is always a cluster especially around any type of holiday, unless it's in the early morning hours.

When we all met in Pigeon Forge I ran up hwy 45 to Meridian and met up with Michael, made it to Tuscaloosa and Michael's truck had blown a intake pipe into about 4 pieces, hahaha Michael said "you cant back up that ramp with a camper!," I said "watch me" ANYWAYS 🐿 traffic wasnt bad at all, but coming home I went 65 south out of B'ham and sat in traffic for 3 hours!, so I65 north north of Montgomery is on my "no fly list".

Last edited:
But for 20 minutes difference on your 12 hour drive, I find that the more interstate driving the better. I go up to Birmingham, down to Montgomery and Bay Minette via interstate. It adds 30 minutes on a 5 hr drive but the trade-off is worth it to me.

PS - and as for gas stops in south MS on Hwy 45, it's been a few years but what I remember was a whole lot of NUTHIN' once you leave the Meridian area (middle of the state).

If it's 20 min out of the way to avoid I-55 south of New Madrid, MO through Memphis I'd stick to 65. That stretch is a tough drive.
I'm leaning to just staying with I-65. I've heard US45 can be rough and once it narrows to 2 lanes in AL it isn't fun. I looked up fuel stops on the TSD app and Mudflap. There are some listed up to Meridian, which would be fine, but there are many more on I-65.

Thanks Randy,

I'll check back in a year to see how things are. I've done the Buc-ee's stop before, but it was around noon and it was a zoo. The coach is on bags, so it isn't as rough as some motorhomes, but will still let you know the road stinks. I've been caught in traffic around Nashville and Birmingham. That's a crap shoot and Google Maps is good about letting me know and tries for an alternate that is faster. I'm not sure if Hammer does the active traffic or not.

I still have quite a while to decide. Who knows, maybe MO, TN and MS will repave all those roads in the mean time. :rotfl2:

j

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter