The Gulf State Park Tradition...

Which week seems to work best in 2025?

• May 23rd to May 29th (Memorial day weekend and following week)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • May 30th to June 5th

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • June 6th to June 12th

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • June 13th to June 19th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • June 20th to June 26

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • June 27th to July 3rd

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tiggerdad

I don't always get distracted but whe...SQUIRREL!
I've been away for too long. Had a lot of things going on for the last 2 years and just keeping me out of the camping world for a while but we are trying to get back in the swing of things. Been looking around here and see a lot of old names I recognize and several new ones that i need to get to know, but will work on that. I've always felt that getting into camping was one of the best things we did as a family, but also one of the best things we ever did as far as meeting new people. We have certainly met some great folks over the years and developed some great friendships that have extended outside of the camping arena.

One of the events that i remember very well was from 2015. i had been here on the boards for close to 6 years by that point, but had not really had an opportunity to meet any of the folks that i bantered with here on the boards, but that changed in May of that year. It just so happened that i was at a campground down in Gulf Shores Alabama known as Gulf State Park, and there was another Diser there at the same time. That would be none other than Bama_Ed. We met up and planned out one evening to get together and and had a shrimp boil at the campsite and just sat and chatted and it was good time. We even posted a thread for it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-small-dis-camping-meet-occurred-tonight.3414791/

Two years later we decided to try it again, and this time several more folks on here got on board and we had the first of several great years of annual Memorial Day meetups down there. the following are the threads for those of you new who would like to check them out, and for those of us who were there, some good memories.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...-at-gulf-state-park-in-may-june-2016.3462415/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/gulf-state-park-dismeet-2018-sand-sun-and-puzzles.3662354/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-gulf-state-park-dismeet-2017-thread-aka-the-sequel.3571999/

We had other meetups at other places including the midwest, at the Fort of course, and the last one that i got to attend was in 2021 up in Pigeon Forge, TN. Looking around it seems that the tradition has continued, but the Gulf State Park meetups were always to me the great ones. We had to bow out because at that time an annoying insect down there known as the Yellow Fly by the locals was causing my DW some grief with bite reactions and we had to start going down in July instead, but i always missed the Memorial Day meets. I missed the food. I missed the the puzzles. I missed the jokes. i missed the near death experiences. I missed the federal offences (literally true, read through the 2016 dismeet). Our youngest DD now in volleyball, prevents us from camping in July, so we are back to May/June. we are going to be back down there this year, from Memorial Day to June 1st. i was talking to the DW and she agreed, yellow flies, or no yellow flies, those trips were some of the best times we ever had camping.

Now, i know some of you who survived prior trips are probably looking at some of the scars you have from those days. Maybe even nightmares from time to time. Lord knows, I'm not sure if the locals can handle it again, but i just keep coming back to a movie quote that i just can't seem to shake. I know it's dangerous, but...

b1f7e232-5ffc-4b9e-80de-113a83fd193b_text.gif

Any interests in a 2025 meet up? it would be too short notice to try to put together anything for 2024, but looking down the road to next year

If so input on possible window dates, ideas, etc. the booking for GSP opens a year out, and summer bookings go fast, so we would need to formulate a plan before this May so those that are interested can book the sites.

I'm looking for you old friends here, but as others will tell you, I'm always looking for new faces and families to join in as well.

Last edited:
As Jake told the band's trumpet player Mr. Fabulous .....

were-putting-the-band-back-together-were-getting-back-together.gif

Hey us old retired folks can show up ANY time!

Ed

As an update to Gulf State Park's reservation policies:

Instead of just a one night rate held as a deposit on a reservation, the policy has changed and the ONLY option (as I understand it now) is payment in full in advance (no deposit anymore).

You can still flip days or cancel (14 day max reservation) but the full payment up-front is new. Like Florida's policy in that regard.

Ed

Again, just to clarify, I'm talking about booking in 2025. this would allow for plenty of time for folks to plan out.

I was just thinking how I missed GSP. We are planning another trip to Europe in 2025 (either a Mediterranean cruise or a tour of the UK), but probably not until August or September, so count us in. GSP is a cheap (and fun) vacation. And I may do some more retirement house hunting.

I can't make any promises that @tiggerdad and myself won't end up in some kind of predicament were bail money might be involved...
I wouldn't have expected anything different, Randy. :)

I'm not sure how late the yellow flies are around, but maybe mid-late June would be better. (Slightly) less people compared to Memorial week too.

j

I was just thinking how I missed GSP. We are planning another trip to Europe in 2025 (either a Mediterranean cruise or a tour of the UK), but probably not until August or September, so count us in. GSP is a cheap (and fun) vacation. And I may do some more retirement house hunting.

I wouldn't have expected anything different, Randy. :)

I'm not sure how late the yellow flies are around, but maybe mid-late June would be better. (Slightly) less people compared to Memorial week too.

j
Always glad to have a world traveler along.

I believe it was the week of memorial Day that was best as far as crowds, but others may say differently. I think the true school is out let's pile in began the weekend after memorial day.

Late June would make it possible for me, but I am guessing incoming heat and out of school time makes that a not overall good pick for "the masses"... ah well, few more years and I can go "off" the school calendar (although my wife just became full time nurse in town school system this school year...lol... oh well, guess we need to use some of those sick days :rolleyes1 ).

...and I AM doing a school in session trip for DISmeet Fort this year (although trying to convince to come over weekend and miss 1-2 days of school for that trip, but mostly just me and the dog 🐕‍🦺 ), but if I start making TOO many DISmeet trips during school when my wife and son can't go .... well, not gonna go over very well.... (I would have inserted the object being thrown at the head animation here if I could have found it).

Just sneek them onto the corporate plane for a "test flight" and promise they'll be back by Monday morning. :)

j

And I may do some more retirement house hunting.
Wait, what?
Awe Ed. You know we look when we are down. Last trip we saw several places in Orange Beach and across the border in FL. We even took a day and drove over to Arc's neck of the panhandle and looked around Pace and Milton. We'll likely end up down there somewhere in a few years.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter