The Family Age Debate

DisneyDads

Earning My Ears
Hey all!

My sister and I have unexpectedly come into some money and are planning to take a trip to Disney World with our families. This will be all the kids first trip, and none of the adults have been since they were kids in the early 90's. It is most likely the only trip we will be taking to the World as an extended family, so we want to go at the right time!

Currently, my sisters kids are 7 and 4.5 years old, while my son is 3 months. We are in no rush, and want to find a time that my youngest is old enough to enjoy the magic, but also want to ensure the oldest is not aging out of the fun for kids. Given these parameters, we have no idea when the right time to go would be.

As we are new to World, any ideas or advice would be a big help to our families!

That's a toughie.

A lot of kids start to "age out" around 11 or 12 (at the latest). It also depends on the kid. Is the oldest a boy or a girl? Does the oldest like Star Wars (that will buy you a lot more time now).

If it's a one and done trip (as in your son will NEVER go again, I'd wait until he's 4ish). If you see yourself bringing him later, go when he's 2ish.

That's a toughie.

A lot of kids start to "age out" around 11 or 12 (at the latest). It also depends on the kid.

Our kids will almost be 11 when we visit this year. I'm interested to see if they have as good of a time as in years past. (We are DVC members so we have been to the world each year since 2013, with a break in 2018). We're starting off with 3 days at Universal Studios this year, so I think they might wind up being more into that, but we'll see.

Last year and this year at school the "you're too old to like Mickey Mouse" crap starts up. It's mostly from kids who have never been, so some of that is probably rooted in a bit of jealousy. I just tell my kids I'm 41 years old and still wear MM t-shirts - you can like whatever you want to and don't let kids tell you otherwise. As a kid my aunt took me to WDW in 1983, and I didn't get to go again until I was in high school, and had a great time (so it's very true that it just depends on the "kid" lol)

On our two family trips thus far (these are all my kids, may be different with 2 families):

Trip 1: 7mo, 3.5 yo, and 5yo. This trip was easier, but obviously the 7mo got nothing out of it.

Trip 2: 3rd birthday, 6, and 8: This trip was good, but we had to split up a lot because they did not want to ride/do the same things. All the kids loved it, but DH and I found the schedule a little harder and some days went to different parks.

Height can help too- On our first trip, the 3yo was over 40 inches and could ride Soarin, Test track, and SDMT. The second trip our 3yo could do SDMT and Slinky Dog (hated Slinky, though), but he wasn't tall enough for some of the others.

We feel like we are a few years away from aging out (esp. since 8yo is just getting into Star Wars), but we do think we will add in Universal/Harry Potter on our next trip (estimated 2021).

I would wait until your son is 3-4, if you want to do stuff together as a group. Also, look closely at the personality of the 7yo to help predict. Is she/he generally easygoing? "up for anything"? starting to avoid "little kid" stuff already?

We started going when ODS was a toddler. I think the first time I felt like they really remembered and both kids could get on all the rides was ages 10 and 7. However, we have enjoyed each and every trip, and I have memories/photos of them growing up at Disney World.

That's a tough one considering the age gaps of the kids. For a one and done trip, I'd say the perfect age range is 4-8. So your sister is there now, but you won't be there for a few years at least.

I think all ages can get enjoyment out of Disney. (And perhaps even more so if it's a first WDW trip.)

I have a sullen, surly teen (at times, anyway ;) ) who is still super excited about our next trip. He is excited about Galaxy's Edge, MNSSHP (because he loves Halloween and likes going someplace where absolutely no one will ever say you're "too old" to trick-or-treat), the Food & Wine festival (because while he can't have wine, obviously, he loves trying new foods and specialty non-alcoholic drinks), the water parks, and Animal Kingdom (because he has a soft spot for anything animal related). He's also looking forward to a trip when he's old enough to go off on his own at the park if he wants.

Meanwhile my youngest will be 10 and he's thrilled to know that he is now tall enough for every single ride at both WDW. So there are pros to even taking older kids.

But on the flip side, I think that if you are willing to work your day around the normal routine of the youngest in your party, even a very young child can have a wonderful time at Disney. I don't personally care about whether my kids can remember things from their earliest trips. I just enjoy my memories of their enjoyment. My youngest had a great time on his first real vacation at 15 months. :) But if this is likely to be their only trip, then I can see waiting until they are a bit older, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

OP: If it helps: on my extended family trip next summer, the kids will be 7 (but almost 8), 5 and almost 4 and hopefully an infant.

I also went with a 8, 10, and 13 year old when I was in college. That trip was awful. The 8 year old was fine, the 10 and 13 yr old boys were miserable lumps of clay who HATED being on an extended trip with their older cousins (my sister and I, we had a blast though).

Agreeing that when the youngest is 4 y/o is a great time to plan a trip with your sister and her children.
DGD is now 13.5 and has decided our April 2019 trip will be the last one for at least a few years; she wants to return to camping and we are meeting some of her family in France and visiting my friends in Germany and Switzerland this summer.

Have a wonderful time when you go!

I think it depends on if you want your youngest to remember the trip, and if it matters to you that bringing a younger child means less 'adult' rides.

My son's first trip was when he was 15 months old, and he truly did enjoy himself so much. He doesn't remember a thing but we have wonderful memories (and pictures) of him loving the carousel and meeting the princesses.

I didn't go on some of my favorite rides that trip because it took so much time to do the child swap. It was worth it to me but if this is going to be your only trip for a while, you might want to wait until your youngest is 40/44 inches and can go on all the rides with you.

If it's a one time thing, I would wait until your son is 4 or 5 so he can enjoy more of the rides with you. The oldest child will be 11 or 12 which I think is still young enough not to be "too cool" to go to Disney, especially with younger siblings and cousins to use as an excuse ;)

We first took our kids when twins were 4 and DS was 6. The first few trips were memorable and magical to them. I'd say they stopped interest in characters by 9, maybe sooner. And stopped pool interest around 12-13. And DS stopped wanting to go to Disney altogether at age 17. His last trip was age 18 and he begged not to be included in trips after that....until he turned 21. His first return tip will be this fall for F&W...age 22.5 and he is pretty excited about it. Twin DDs just turned 20 last week, while at Disney. They have little interest in doing rides and going into the parks (except Epcot). Mostly like dining and going to DS. They still want to go but just not often (we are DVC and have been about 22 times since 2003...with 2-3 trips a year for past few years).

When we went 1st time, 2003, the kids could all walk (no strollers for us). They remember bits and pieces from those trips. The magic was there until about age 9. So my thoughts are if it's a one and done trip...age 4 for youngest age and 9-10 for oldest. My own parents took us once...I was 7 and my brother was 12. They should have done 2 years earlier but they said they waited until I was really able to handle the walking, heat and less sleep. My brother was probably too old. He wasn't wowed and still has no interest in Disney.

Last edited:
Ok, is the oldest a girl or a boy? I feel like generally speaking the novelty wears off for a boy sooner than a girl (and with girls sometimes never)! If it’s a boy and not interested in Star Wars I’d say 10 at the latest. If a girl you may be able to push it until your youngest is 3 or 4, but I wouldn’t wait much longer than that. Unfortunately you could definitely run into the problem that by the time you think your son is at an ideal age hers have aged out. I would rather take your son a little on the young side where even if he doesn’t remember there will still be cute memories and pictures for you (and if you take him when under 3 he is free), than take your sisters kids when they are too old and the tween I’m too cool attitude may set in. I’d much rather enjoy what fun a 2 yr old can have than deal with an 11 yr olds I don’t want to be here attitude.....

I don't know how old is "too old" for a one-and-done trip, but I will say that 3 is a little on the young side. My DD went for the first time last year when she was 3 and she loved it, but got worn out and didn't get as excited about things. She didn't really "get it." We're planning another trip for this year, and she seems so much more enthusiastic and into it. In my experience, 4 is a better age than 3 for a trip.

That being said I agree with SG131: I'd rather take a kid that was a bit on the young side than a "I'm too cool for this" tween. I just don't know when the latter starts.

I see many people talking about aging out. Well I took my daughter at age 5 in 2006 for her one done trip. Well she will be 20 in 2021 when go back for her 6th trip. Her tastes have changed now she is very into selecting restaurants. The now 10 year old will be turning 12 on our next trip and still wants to make sure she can do Jedi training. The only thing I would say about age is height. If you wait until everyone is at least 32" tall you will save yourself a lot of potential headaches.

I would go before your sister's oldest kid turns 10 and before your child turns 3. This way you are not paying Disney adult prices for the older child for dining/character meals and you will not have to buy a ticket for the under 3 year old.

@KenHutch I think girls are different than boys. I was on a trip with a 10 and 13 yr old boy who were miserable lumps of clay. They wanted to be Universal with all the "thrill rides" not traipsing around the house of mouse.

@KenHutch I think girls are different than boys. I was on a trip with a 10 and 13 yr old boy who were miserable lumps of clay. They wanted to be Universal with all the "thrill rides" not traipsing around the house of mouse.
Well you may be correct the oldest can spend 2 days in Epcot just shopping. And she is good at it.

I see many people talking about aging out. Well I took my daughter at age 5 in 2006 for her one done trip. Well she will be 20 in 2021 when go back for her 6th trip. Her tastes have changed now she is very into selecting restaurants. The now 10 year old will be turning 12 on our next trip and still wants to make sure she can do Jedi training. The only thing I would say about age is height. If you wait until everyone is at least 32" tall you will save yourself a lot of potential headaches.
This is my DDs-20...they like selecting ADRs. Now the last trip (last week) they noticed a lot of good counter choices for junky foods and snacks and want to do a no ADR trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter