The Family Age Debate

Well you may be correct the oldest can spend 2 days in Epcot just shopping. And she is good at it.
Yup....sounds like my DDs as well. And they could live at DS too. We are DVC and decided SSR and BWV are the best 2 locations for us now...with DDs-20 and DS-22 and their style of doing Disney...food, drinks and shopping.

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

My sister and her husband's kids are a 7 year old boy, who is not the bravest kid around, and a 4 year old girl, who, at this point, is more likely to want to go on a thrill ride then her brother. They are into Star Wars and most Disney movies. As a family they are not much for long (and expensive) trips, making this much more of a one-and-done trip for them.

I am the Disney nerd of the family, and we tend to travel more. I did drag my husband to Shanghai Disneyland a few years ago, but that was only a half day trip. I could see a second trip sometime in our future, but that is not for sure. (Also, we of course don't know who my 3 month old will grow into.)

Without turning this into a sympathy thread, the trip is using money from my mother who very unexpectedly passed away. They day she died we happened to be discussing taking a family trip to Disney at some point in the future so that is why this trip became so important. While I want to make sure everyone has a great trip, I do want my little guy to have some form of memory, as this will be the last gift from his grandma.

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

My sister and her husband's kids are a 7 year old boy, who is not the bravest kid around, and a 4 year old girl, who, at this point, is more likely to want to go on a thrill ride then her brother. They are into Star Wars and most Disney movies. As a family they are not much for long (and expensive) trips, making this much more of a one-and-done trip for them.

I am the Disney nerd of the family, and we tend to travel more. I did drag my husband to Shanghai Disneyland a few years ago, but that was only a half day trip. I could see a second trip sometime in our future, but that is not for sure. (Also, we of course don't know who my 3 month old will grow into.)

Without turning this into a sympathy thread, the trip is using money from my mother who very unexpectedly passed away. They day she died we happened to be discussing taking a family trip to Disney at some point in the future so that is why this trip became so important. While I want to make sure everyone has a great trip, I do want my little guy to have some form of memory, as this will be the last gift from his grandma.
Condolences for the loss of your mother.

I'd say plan a trip for about 18-24 months out. It takes about that long to plan anyway. So kids will be 2ish (yours) and 6ish and 9ish (sister's). Not bad. Happy planning. Have a good stash of strong coffee...and wine...planning a family Disney trip...you will need it!

I would do a trip somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 years from now. Get in before the oldest turns 10 and has to pay adult prices and before the youngest turns 3 and is no longer free. If it's likely to be your sister's only trip with her kids, I'd want them to go when the kids are still young enough to enjoy the magic. Having a 2&3 yr old there may encourage the older ones to embrace the magic more. If you wait much longer than that, the oldest might not be as into it all, and may not really want to spend so much time with his much younger cousin. 2-3 is still a great age for little ones. They may not have long term memories of it, but they really do see the parks in different ways than older kids it brings a lot of fun to the table. We took my son at days shy of 2, and 1.5 yrs later, he still talks about a lot of the things we did. I know those memories will fade for him, but right now they're still there, and they will always be there for us.

Since you've said that you're more into travelling to, you may decide to go back another time when your kid is older to create those lasting memories. Something else to keep in mind is might you have more kids in the future? If you're trying to wait for your oldest to remember everything, what if you have another child between now and then- will you then postpone until that child is old enough?

My kids have never outgrown Disney and they are 28,25,20 and 11. Actually I think they enjoy it more every year but we are go every other year kind of family. We have even taken lots of first timer kids over the years (all teens and mostly boys) and they always had a great time. Since this will not be your one and only but it will be for your sister and family, I would go right before your little guy is 3 and take lots of pictures that he can be told the stories about his “granny’s trip”. If you wait too long the other kids may not find it as magical as it could be. My condolences on your mother’s passing.

Last edited:
I agree with going when your son is 2 and the oldest cousin is 9. I think 9 is still young enough to enjoy the “magic.” Is he into Star Wars at all? If so, he should have fun.

If you enjoy traveling, you will probably want to go back when your son is older. If your husband isn’t a huge Disney person, he might change his mind. My H said he could see us doing a big Disney trip once. I grew up going quite a few times, so once wasn’t going to cut it for me! But when our daughter was 2 we went to Disneyland for a day. Our daughter had so much fun, even at that age. It was truly magical! We had so much fun seeing her so excited. She is 8 now and we’ve been back several times. He’s pretty much onboard with as much Disney as I want/we can fit in the budget

The idea of going while my son is under 3 makes sense to me as it could save 500ish dollars on tickets. I'm a little confused between the oldest being 9 or 10. Looking on Maple Leaf tickets, it seems to only be 20 dollars difference. Are there other advantages/disadvantages between being 9 or 10?

The idea of going while my son is under 3 makes sense to me as it could save 500ish dollars on tickets. I'm a little confused between the oldest being 9 or 10. Looking on Maple Leaf tickets, it seems to only be 20 dollars difference. Are there other advantages/disadvantages between being 9 or 10?
Dining as a 9 year old (child rate) is about 1/2 the price as a 10year old (adult rate)

This is my DDs-20...they like selecting ADRs. Now the last trip (last week) they noticed a lot of good counter choices for junky foods and snacks and want to do a no ADR trip.
Good Luck with the no ADR thing mine would kill me. I have to pay for the deluxe plan next trip because she picked so many 2 credit places.

I wouldn't discount taking an infant. We went with a 9 month old. It was fantastic. He was old enough to ride anything the 3yo wanted to, he was amazed looking at everything, and was very portable - not quite walking on his own, so not fussy about wanting to get up and go by himself. The pictures of him laughing in the tea cups with his sister, and of his eyes about popping out at giant Piglet are some of my best memories of all of our 5 trips. If you are taking a 2-3 year old, there is no guarantee they are going to remember it years later anyway. I would go within a year, and plan on a return trip sometime later for just your family. The 4 and 7 year olds great ages right now too. Your sister may enjoy it more than she expects and want to go back as well ... that's what happened to me anyway!

Interesting question and a wide range of ages. I had this discussion with the wife this weekend about the "right" age if we were only to go once. Let me break down the ages of our kids and when they went.

2015: 2.5 yo daughter 8 mo son (My sister was there with her 3.5 yo daughter and 9 mo son)
2017: 4.3 yo daughter 2.5 yo son
2019: 6 yo daughter 4.5 yo son 1.5 yo daughter

You have a 7, 4.5 and an 8 month old.

Here are my thoughts. There is a window where they won't remember any of it, and even a year or two later they'll have very fuzzy memories. This is basically under the age of 2. My daughter who was 2.5 years old the first time remembered the parks, but remembered the pictures and videos more. But it set her up with years of awesome Disney imagination with dress up and cartoons and play so when she went back again at 4.5 it was a fantastic experience.

So under 2 years old is tough. For me as a parent it was amazing. I had great experience with my family there that was well worth it. But you have to take into consideration the logistics of diapers and feeding. It's a more relaxed vacation because you can't do as much.

The ages of 2 through 8 or 9 Disney is still a magical place where the kids may or may not think things are real. As they approach 10, the magic is still there but it becomes less of a fantastical journey and more of an amazing Disney theme park experience where reality starts peaking in. If I were to pick a peak age for Disney magic to (almost) be real for them I'd pick somewhere in the Kindergarten to First Grade ages.

I don't have any experience yet with kids near or in middle school but it's a different kind of fun I think. Probably more family bonding because the kids are older and stay up longer and eat better food and not completely immersed in Disney Princesses.

Looking at the ages of your family, I'd probably go in a year and a half when your kid is close to 2 as possible considering the ages of your sister's children. Otherwise, I'd wait until your son is at least 4 or 5 (then Star Wars Galaxy Edge is out for a few years and the crowds are from super impossible to just impossible), assuming this is a once in a life time trip.

Though, you never know, you could catch the Disney bug and become one of us.

Interesting question and a wide range of ages. I had this discussion with the wife this weekend about the "right" age if we were only to go once. Let me break down the ages of our kids and when they went.

2015: 2.5 yo daughter 8 mo son (My sister was there with her 3.5 yo daughter and 9 mo son)
2017: 4.3 yo daughter 2.5 yo son
2019: 6 yo daughter 4.5 yo son 1.5 yo daughter

You have a 7, 4.5 and an 8 month old.

Here are my thoughts. There is a window where they won't remember any of it, and even a year or two later they'll have very fuzzy memories. This is basically under the age of 2. My daughter who was 2.5 years old the first time remembered the parks, but remembered the pictures and videos more. But it set her up with years of awesome Disney imagination with dress up and cartoons and play so when she went back again at 4.5 it was a fantastic experience.

So under 2 years old is tough. For me as a parent it was amazing. I had great experience with my family there that was well worth it. But you have to take into consideration the logistics of diapers and feeding. It's a more relaxed vacation because you can't do as much.

The ages of 2 through 8 or 9 Disney is still a magical place where the kids may or may not think things are real. As they approach 10, the magic is still there but it becomes less of a fantastical journey and more of an amazing Disney theme park experience where reality starts peaking in. If I were to pick a peak age for Disney magic to (almost) be real for them I'd pick somewhere in the Kindergarten to First Grade ages.

I don't have any experience yet with kids near or in middle school but it's a different kind of fun I think. Probably more family bonding because the kids are older and stay up longer and eat better food and not completely immersed in Disney Princesses.

Looking at the ages of your family, I'd probably go in a year and a half when your kid is close to 2 as possible considering the ages of your sister's children. Otherwise, I'd wait until your son is at least 4 or 5 (then Star Wars Galaxy Edge is out for a few years and the crowds are from super impossible to just impossible), assuming this is a once in a life time trip.

Though, you never know, you could catch the Disney bug and become one of us.
My middle schoolers were more the thrill rides. They liked all the mountains and coasters. But when they became high school aged they reverted back to the “classic rides” with thrill rides added in. They were able to appreciate the classics again and even are willing to take pictures with characters. My oldest 2 didn’t go until they were 8.5 and 6 and they cried buckets when we left and could not understand why daddy couldn’t transfer and work at Disney. My middle son at 7 looked at me during the old MK opening and said “ I know why they call this the happiest place on earth” then I cried buckets!! While there is NEVER a wrong age, I feel that 6-8 year old range is a real sweet spot

I agree with the PP's who suggest going before the oldest turns 10. My DS is now 11 and has been going multiple times a year since he was 1. He is getting to that age where, while he still enjoys aspects of our trip, he certainly doesn't believe in Disney magic, characters, etc. anymore. He is more interested in going to the water parks, doing the VR experience in DS, etc. It will also save you some money. The oldest child will still count as a child for tickets and dining and your child will not have turned 3 so will require no tickets and will also not be charged at any buffets you go to.

I think aging out is not something that happens to everyone.
My son is 14 almost 15 and he can't wait for our next trip. His sister is 12, and 2 cousins who are coming are 11 and 10. I kept my son involved in the planning this time around. He helped me pick restaurants, Fastpasses and we let my son choose between OKW and SSR. We have graduated from Character Dinings and Kidcot....but this time we are planning an epic Family Scavenger Hunt while in the parks. If there are things that his younger cousins want to do that are no longer an interest to him...then we can split the group up for a little while so that he doesn't feel forced to ride Barnstomer for example.

Also, by the time you do go...Star Wars will be open, Pandora is already open and possibly Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy will also be open. These are not really kiddy experiences. My 40+ husband is more excited about Star Wars than any kid i know.

so if you want to wait until you little one is 3 or 4...i think you will be fine

I think aging out is not something that happens to everyone.
My son is 14 almost 15 and he can't wait for our next trip. His sister is 12, and 2 cousins who are coming are 11 and 10.
(***QUOTE CONDENSED***)
so if you want to wait until you little one is 3 or 4...i think you will be fine

I totally agree. In just the couple of days since I first saw this thread I've noticed a few different people I know posting Disney pics on my Facebook page. One was an adult couple on their own, but both other people had at least one teenager with them. And they were all having a blast. Then I started thinking about it, and I've seen several people who have brought very happy tweens & teens to WDW recently. My cousins brought their 4 kids and only one of the 4 were under the age of 10. The others were 17, 15, & 12. They had a fantastic time. :) The 12 year old was still getting autographs and all of them were doing character photos and pin trading. :) It all depends on the individual kids. :)

I'd go right before your son turns 3. Kids under 3 are free for pretty much everything, including park admission and pricey character meals. Or, I'd wait until he is at least 38 inches with shoes. This will allow him to go on great rollercoasters for kids like 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and Slinky Dog Dash. My daughter was 40 inches at age 3. If your son is not tall enough for some rides, you will get to take advantage of ridr swap, which is when they give your party 2 extra fast pass lanyards to come back and go on a ride again that your kid is scared to go on or not tall enough for. This allows the person who had to stay back with him to still get to go on the ride, and they can take one along person with them. But it can also be annoying to have to have one person stay back with that kid all that time. I went when my kids were 3 and the other was 14 months. Luckily, my parents came along and my mom doesn't do rollercoasters, so she always stayed with the baby. We always got the bonus 2 fast passes from rider swap, which was nice.

If you think you will likely plan a trip later with your own family, then I would go sooner rather than later (maybe within two years) for two reasons:

1. It will be nice for your sister's kids to have their "once in a lifetime" trip while they're still young enough for it to be magical.
2. I would think you wouldn't want to wait many years before taking this memorial trip for your mom.

That said, there's really no perfect age for a Disney trip so you will be fine whenever you decide to go. Our first trip was when our youngest was under 2 and our trip this year the kids will be ages 13-20. They have enjoyed every trip, but they have all had a completely different feeling depending on the ages. When the kids were very little there was a deeper sense of magic and wonder (a 12 year old is not likely going to ride "it's a small world" in wide-eyed, open mouth amazement like a 2 year old might). Now that they are older, there is a definite difference but it's still a great time. They're still thrilled to go (my oldest has all her themed Disneybounding outfits already picked out for our upcoming trip and is looking forward to meeting some new characters), but it's more about having some independence and a break from everyday life while enjoying having the "excuse" to act like a little kid (ride everything in Fantasyland, wear Mickey ears, etc).

@KenHutch I think girls are different than boys. I was on a trip with a 10 and 13 yr old boy who were miserable lumps of clay. They wanted to be Universal with all the "thrill rides" not traipsing around the house of mouse.
This is very true. DW and I's first child is on the way (a girl) but I can remember, and admit to myself, that I was that teenager that thought he was too cool and grown up for Disney. I probably didn't go from the time I was 12 until I was 24. Was dating/living with my now DW then and family paid for a trip for all of us and I went and had a great time. Then I realized that if you're able to let go of just a bit of that ego and laugh at yourself then you can never be too old for Disney. Now DW and I are planning to take the DD when she's about 10 months old so we have the memories of seeing her take it all in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter