• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The concept of Disneybounding

Here's a picture of my friends and me in 2014, when DBing was new to us. As you can see, we have a mix of DBing and costume. We weren't really clear about it but we used our own clothes and added stuff so I guess it's mostly DBing. I cringe a little every time I see the sundress I wore (far right) which an old lady like me shouldn't try, but we had a great day and Mary Poppins found us at the First Aid station when one of us needed bandaids for sore feet :) Since then, we have toned it down a lot but it's fun now and then to throw in some costume elements.

Attachments

• mary2.JPG
    mary2.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 68
Here's a picture of my friends and me in 2014, when DBing was new to us. As you can see, we have a mix of DBing and costume. We weren't really clear about it but we used our own clothes and added stuff so I guess it's mostly DBing. I cringe a little every time I see the sundress I wore (far right) which an old lady like me shouldn't try, but we had a great day and Mary Poppins found us at the First Aid station when one of us needed bandaids for sore feet :) Since then, we have toned it down a lot but it's fun now and then to throw in some costume elements.
You all look amazing-and you totally are rocking that sundress!

Here are my recent bounds- Merida and Fauna. Flynn Rider thought I was maybe him with my Merida look, which I totally can see, especially since my daughter was Repunzel that day! I love it. My son is super into it too-for his daily life, so no one ever gets it, lol!

Attachments

• B0E71A44-FCF3-41A9-9B21-325D7584E30F.jpeg
    B0E71A44-FCF3-41A9-9B21-325D7584E30F.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 143ACEA0-112A-44C9-8BC0-D84F0D19BA25.jpeg
    143ACEA0-112A-44C9-8BC0-D84F0D19BA25.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 46

What!!? You are amazing in that dress! I hope you kept it. Just wear it for everyday. You look fantastic.

... I don't see any big deal about making rules as to whether something is true DBing other than the idea that wearing an outfit that IS the dress of Snow White or Alice or whatever is not the intent of DBing. I think some blur the lines but it's still fun.

First of all, DizMe: you look great!!

Generally speaking:
I think the rules and distinctions become important depending on the context and situation. For example, if you are DBing at work, of course you would be more subtle and create outfits out of street clothes/business attire (can be done! I've seen some really fun, subtle 'Bounds in the workplace!). At the parks, the rules are a bit more flexible, but Disney's dress code rules still take precedence. I've seen guests turned away by security for wearing full on costumes (amazing, intricate outfits -- one group was all in NBC outfits, not for MHP, but on a regular day) to the parks, which is against Disney's rules. At ComicCon, D23 Expo, WonderCon, etc., these costumes would have been entirely appropriate and could even have won prizes. But not at the parks on a normal day. Had these people been wearing true DBs, they would have been allowed into the parks without any problems. Lastly, for me personally, I like to abide by the DB "rules" (not rigidly -- there's usually more breathing room at the parks than in the real world) out of respect for Leslie Kay because it is her website and concept. Lots of people have taken the idea and run with it, but she really got it going on the internet, and I feel like I owe her a lot. Just my two cents...

I’ve never heard of this, but I think my husband may been the first to Disneybound in the 90s. Funny story, we stayed in a suite at DLH the night we got married. The plan was for friends to meet us in the parks the next day and we were going to wear just married shirts that were white. Well, he forgot to pack shoes so when we got ready in the morning all he had was the white shirt, red shorts and his black patent shoes from the wedding :lmao:Luckily his friend brought him some shoes for the parks but he wore the disneybound Mickey outfit to breakfast :rotfl2:

First of all, DizMe: you look great!!

Generally speaking:
I think the rules and distinctions become important depending on the context and situation. For example, if you are DBing at work, of course you would be more subtle and create outfits out of street clothes/business attire (can be done! I've seen some really fun, subtle 'Bounds in the workplace!). At the parks, the rules are a bit more flexible, but Disney's dress code rules still take precedence. I've seen guests turned away by security for wearing full on costumes (amazing, intricate outfits -- one group was all in NBC outfits, not for MHP, but on a regular day) to the parks, which is against Disney's rules. At ComicCon, D23 Expo, WonderCon, etc., these costumes would have been entirely appropriate and could even have won prizes. But not at the parks on a normal day. Had these people been wearing true DBs, they would have been allowed into the parks without any problems. Lastly, for me personally, I like to abide by the DB "rules" (not rigidly -- there's usually more breathing room at the parks than in the real world) out of respect for Leslie Kay because it is her website and concept. Lots of people have taken the idea and run with it, but she really got it going on the internet, and I feel like I owe her a lot. Just my two cents...
That makes sense and I totally respect your take on it. I agree about going full costume as that's breaking Disney's rules

I have been going to Disneyland since 1957. In that time I've done my own version of Disneybounding so I don't have the same sense of obligation to the official founder (plus I don't even know who Leslie Kay is) . Kudos to her for making it a "thing" because it's fun to see so may people doing it. I've never done it outside of DL!

This is Leslie Kay's site "DisneyBound": http://disneybound.co. It's great for inspiration and ideas when you're staring at your closet wondering what kind of Disney magic lies within and you just can't seem to find it. And when your wallet is telling you that you really shouldn't go out and buy yet another new Disney based outfit right this minute!
We started out using it for MHP, Dapper Day, and D23 Expo, but now we use it often just for fun ideas and twists on every day outfits.

I did it in January and I loved it! It made me want to do more the next time.

Here's my Ariel Disneybound from the trip.

19A28129-8020-4B22-B5C8-8AE22A46CA24.jpeg

Last edited:
Disneybounding is so much fun! I've done it a few times in the past, but I don't make it to the parks very often anymore. My favorite so far was my Ariel.
This fall I plan on putting a Briar Rose outfit together.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 29

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter