The 2010 Baltic Thread--Cruise Tips and Planning

We have a Kimber custom II 1911 chambered and 45 ACP; a Ruger P93DC 9 mm; the Glock is a G21. Now, that info came from DH; all I know is how to load and shoot, LOL!

And I see you are a fellow Bostonian....very cool (even though I have relocated, lol).
I have Walter target pistol as well!
:offtopic: We had better ditch this discussion before we scare everyone else!;)

I have Walter target pistol as well!
:offtopic: We had better ditch this discussion before we scare everyone else!;)

LOL! I agree, don't want folks to get the wrong idea here! I am fairly new to this form of protection and would have been scaring myself just a few short years ago.... :scared1:

Just when I thought we were settled on the Park Plaza County Hall, DH returned from a London business trip last month and I now have some new ideas. Decisions..decisions..

Just when I thought we were settled on the Park Plaza County Hall, DH returned from a London business trip last month and I now have some new ideas. Decisions..decisions..

Do tell?;)

Robert you took my line. :confused3 :lmao:

Please do tell us your new ideas. We will most likely stay at the Park Plaza London Victoria, stayed there last summer and really liked it. I've heard the County Hall is nice too.

DH was in a town car on his way to an outlying company office, when he mentioned the Renaissance Chancery Court. The driver, said he would take him by there just so he could take a peek at it.

He said it was absolutely elegant, like a Ritz Carlton for example. There was courtyard you drove into with a doorman out there. The driver said it was a super nice hotel and well worth it.

Hence, I am now reconsidering my choice, lol. I do have a reservation at the Park Plaza County Hall but have the option to cancel.

The other thought that ran through my head was to head to Dover the day prior to embarkation day and stay there overnight. I know there is not a whole lot there, but it would be nice to take in the sights a bit and board the ship early the next morning.

Anyway, I may also further check into the Grosvenor House Hotel as that is one that I have not looked into much. There are so many choices it seems, and I want to make just the right choice so we can make the most of our few days there in London.

love reading that someone's favorite port was Tallinn

I have not been to London in more than 20 years so have not researched hotels but it will probably be a Starwood property.

Could take the train from London to Dover, do they still do that? I did it 20 years ago.

love reading that someone's favorite port was Tallinn

I have not been to London in more than 20 years so have not researched hotels but it will probably be a Starwood property.

Could take the train from London to Dover, do they still do that? I did it 20 years ago.

Yes, they still have a train from London to Dover. You will just need to get a taxi from the station to the port.

That was me that loved Tallinn. If you go to the July 18, Ballyhoo'ers, cruise thread on the first post there's a link to my pics from another thread of our's. I have included pics from the ports we will be visiting.

Celestine or Andrew-Derek or both!

We are now considering in booking the Parkwood Hotel which is close to the Marble Arch and across the street from Hyde Park (two minutes from Speakers Corner). Is this a good location? Safe? Can you really walk from there to the West end? At night?

Would love your input!

We are now considering in booking the Parkwood Hotel which is close to the Marble Arch and across the street from Hyde Park (two minutes from Speakers Corner). Is this a good location? Safe? Can you really walk from there to the West end? At night?

Would love your input!

The position is very safe a great place, on the tube-central line and also at the start of Oxford st shopping, I could walk to the west end theaters in about 15 mins from there, bus or tube would be 5 mins.

Yes, they still have a train from London to Dover. You will just need to get a taxi from the station to the port.

That was me that loved Tallinn. If you go to the July 18, Ballyhoo'ers, cruise thread on the first post there's a link to my pics from another thread of our's. I have included pics from the ports we will be visiting.

The train is from London Bridge for the best service, some of these come from Charring cross, for our Baltic cruise on a Sunday LB departures are half hourly at 3 mins past on current summer timetable, Victoria is an option but takes longer and is an hourly service, some with a change.

Would love your input!

We've stayed in that area and really do like it. Lots of shops, pubs and restaurants in the area. Underground (the tube) is close by.
I've never felt unsafe in London when walking around, and we continue to be cautious as usual.

The train is from London Bridge for the best service, some of these come from Charring cross, for our Baltic cruise on a Sunday LB departures are half hourly at 3 mins past on current summer timetable, Victoria is an option but takes longer and is an hourly service, some with a change.

I see on the National Express website there is direct train service from Victoria Station to Dover, is it the same company that has service from London Bridge to Dover?

I see on the National Express website there is direct train service from Victoria Station to Dover, is it the same company that has service from London Bridge to Dover?

Both are operated by SouthEastern trains, the LB one has two trains an hour, Victoria has one.

DH was in a town car on his way to an outlying company office, when he mentioned the Renaissance Chancery Court. The driver, said he would take him by there just so he could take a peek at it.

He said it was absolutely elegant, like a Ritz Carlton for example. There was courtyard you drove into with a doorman out there. The driver said it was a super nice hotel and well worth it.

Hence, I am now reconsidering my choice, lol. I do have a reservation at the Park Plaza County Hall but have the option to cancel.

On our last visit to London in 2005, we stayed one night pre-cruise at the Renaissance Chancery Court and two nights post-cruise at the Marriott County Hall - using Marriott points for both. The Renaissance was a bit fancier, although the rooms were small. I felt the County Hall location was better for sightseeing.

We'll be in London for 1 night pre-cruise in September, and we're staying at the Marriott Park Lane, near Hyde Park.

Does anyone know how many people fit into a london black cab? I'm trying to budget all the transfers and since we are a family of 5, usually we need 2 taxis, but I read somewhere that they can accommodate 5!

Does anyone know how many people fit into a london black cab? I'm trying to budget all the transfers and since we are a family of 5, usually we need 2 taxis, but I read somewhere that they can accommodate 5!

That is the max in a black cab. If you require additional seats book in advance through a reputable mini cab company. Technically you can not hail a mini cab on the streets, they should be prebooked...

Celestine

Celestine:

So my family can hail a black cab and all 5 of us will fit into it? Is there room for luggage as well?

Celestine:

So my family can hail a black cab and all 5 of us will fit into it? Is there room for luggage as well?

A couple of years ago we had to get 2 cabs for 5 people and luggage.

Thanks for the info JillJill. I think I need to stop obsessing about this trip. I leave for Portugal and Ireland (ABD!) in two weeks and I have nothing organized, purchased etc, but I spend all my time planning my trip next year! Sigh! I am now obsessed with finding the right B+B. We had one booked already from November, but started having doubts. I want to save money but I don't want a dive!

So I found another one which is almost double the price but still cheap for London standards, and hey they accommodate 5 ! And have great reviews on all the travel websites, including Lonely Planet! They wanted a 3 day deposit and I'm agonizing over that now...sigh! I need to just rest next year's trip and concentrate on this years!

But its so much fun to plan London and the Baltic. Plus I worry I can't afford it, so I'm trying to figure how I can do everything I want with the money I have.

The plan now is to stay in London 7-10 days post-cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter