The 2010 Baltic Thread--Cruise Tips and Planning

Now I have had much better experiences on both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic than on Delta or Air France. Flights were much more comfortable, service better, TVs with each seat and didn't lose any luggage on any flight. Well, come to think of it, there were a few bumps on my intra Europe (Barcelona to London) British Airways flight, but in the end connections were made. Oh yeah, maybe I didn't get my luggage on the British Air flight on the way home. But I was alright with it, as I had an excuse not to unpack right away. So my vote right now is for Virgin Atlantic. We have a non stop Virgin Air light from SFO to London which was so easy when I took it some three years ago.

I have a question for all of you...How long are your trips to Europe going to be? What are you doing other than DCL Baltic cruise? Visiting any other cities? How much time are you taking off? I would love to visit Ireland and/or Paris while I'm on that side of the pond. Interested to hear what people are planning!

We'll either fly British Air or USAir from Philly to Heathrow or Gatwick. Our flight is 6 hours going over and 7 coming back, that is actual flight time and does not include ground time. We've only had 1 problem with luggage with BA and that was because our flight was late arriving at Heathrow and we had to run to catch our connection to Paris, but our bags arrived at our hotel that night.

We will be going over to London a few days early, just not sure how many. We want to catch up with friends that we have in England, and also want to show my brother and nephew London since they've never been there. We've been to London many times so we don't need to spend a lot of time there, but they will want to.
Last summer we spent 1 night in London before our cruise. We met up with friends and spent a wonderful touring London after checking into our hotel after our overnight flight.
We'll either fly home the day the cruise gets back or the next day.

Well, I am doing the med, then repo and then the first baltic. So I am flying into Barcelona and then flying out of London. I am going to spend a few days in Barcelona pre-Med and then a few days in London post-baltic.

I thought about going to Paris too, but I think I will wait and go with my DD later when she is older.

The only reason that I am looking at Delta and air France is because they have nonstop flights from Atlanta. With two kids in tow, I might appreciate that.

Oh my! Three cruises? That's just dreamy! :cloud9:
So will you just get to keep your room and not have to unpack/pack/reboard between cruises?

And, YES, direct flights are really nice with kids. Well, actually, they are nice for adults as well. :rotfl:

We'll either fly British Air or USAir from Philly to Heathrow or Gatwick. Our flight is 6 hours going over and 7 coming back, that is actual flight time and does not include ground time. We've only had 1 problem with luggage with BA and that was because our flight was late arriving at Heathrow and we had to run to catch our connection to Paris, but our bags arrived at our hotel that night.

We will be going over to London a few days early, just not sure how many. We want to catch up with friends that we have in England, and also want to show my brother and nephew London since they've never been there. We've been to London many times so we don't need to spend a lot of time there, but they will want to.
Last summer we spent 1 night in London before our cruise. We met up with friends and spent a wonderful touring London after checking into our hotel after our overnight flight.
We'll either fly home the day the cruise gets back or the next day.

So what are your hotel recommendations with all that London experience?

And I tried to look at your Baltic pics, but the link didn't work. How can I get to them? I'd love to see them! What was your favorite port?

Oh my! Three cruises? That's just dreamy! :cloud9:
So will you just get to keep your room and not have to unpack/pack/reboard between cruises?

And, YES, direct flights are really nice with kids. Well, actually, they are nice for adults as well. :rotfl:

Yes, the same cabin. I have an oceanview cabin because that is MUCH cheaper than a verandah. And it is expensive enough as it is. I figured though, since I am there and have paid for a ticket for us to fly over, I might as well see as much as I can.

So what are your hotel recommendations with all that London experience?

And I tried to look at your Baltic pics, but the link didn't work. How can I get to them? I'd love to see them! What was your favorite port?

I'm heading out to FL in a little bit so I'll look at the link to my pics when I get back later this week.

Our favorite port was Tallinn, which is why we picked this cruise over one of the Helsinki ones. We also like St. Petersburg since we booked a private guide for 2 days and saw so much more than those on the ship's tours.

As far as hotels in London, it depends what you want to see and how much you want to spend. We'll be staying at the Park Plaza London Victoria again since it's so easy to get to Victoria Coach station.

Bumping us back to Page 1 :yay:

Has Disney listed the hotels they are "pimping" (I mean recommending!!) in London? I guess it's time to go check out what's new.

Beth

I am staying postcruise at the Park Plaza County Hall. I know that is one of the hotels. I think I am going to sign up for some of the transfers from Disney just for the convenience. I am still thinking.

I don't know if it's a DCL hotel, but this is where we stayed in 2007 - at the London Marriott County Hall. It was adjacent to the London Eye and right across the bridge from Big Ben. We really enjoyed it. Rooms were a bit small, but otherwise it was fabulous.

The hotel
IMG_0820.jpg

View of Big Ben from hotel
IMG_0777.jpg

Our family after a flight from San Francisco, Heathrow Express train ride to Paddington Station and taxi to hotel. We took a little walk along the river to try to adjust to London time and get through jet lag. We were TIRED.

IMG_0819.jpg

I think the Park Plaza is in the same general area. Looks like a great area, thank for the pictures.

The kids look really tired. LOL.

I would like to throw out some questions:

1. Will an ipod touch (not iphone) be able to get a signal in the internet cafes in Europe?

2. How much foreign currency do we need to bring with us?

3. Do I need to be worried about foreign transaction fees with my debit card in Europe?

4. If I am doing both the med and the baltic, will I need more than one type of converter to charge my phone and ipod and so forth?

5. Is it worth it to get a world phone? (I am traveling with my kids, I am thinking what would happen if we were separated somewhere. They wont be able to contact me. Is there a better solution? I don't want my cell phone bill to be 5000 dollars when I get home.)

6. Can anyone give me first hand accounts of the Disney transfers overseas?

I guess I am thinking out loud. LOL. Any help is appreciated.

For charging your phone etc. on the ship you'll have no problems as it is US sockets. In the UK we're 3 pin 240V so you'll need a converter

In terms of a phone you can buy a SIM card only here & top up the credit on PAYG which would be a cheaper way of dealing with phones. You can even get free SIMs at times as well by checking out certain websites, e.g. moneysavingexpert.com

There are some great hotels in London & some awful ones. Much depends upon what you are expecting (somewhere clean to rest your head or full on luxury) & where you want to be based. Most London hotels are fairly close to the London Underground which makes visiting tourist attractions quite easy.

If any one has any London questions (hotels, transport, things to do) I'm happy to try & help as I'm a Londoner myself (although ow live in Berkshire). If there's no response on her within a day or so, PM me!!!

Celestine

Hi Celestine:

You are in trouble now!! Everyone will be asking questions!

We've booked a small, budget bed and breakfast hotel in Bayswater. Is that a good area? Its called kensington court hotel bayswater.

Also, is Silverline a good private taxi company?

Not sure how we're going to get to Dover yet, still weighing all the options, and then we are back in London for at least a week!

Which cruise are you going on?

Hi Celestine:

You are in trouble now!! Everyone will be asking questions!

We've booked a small, budget bed and breakfast hotel in Bayswater. Is that a good area? Its called kensington court hotel bayswater.

Also, is Silverline a good private taxi company?

Not sure how we're going to get to Dover yet, still weighing all the options, and then we are back in London for at least a week!

Which cruise are you going on?

From where your hotel is it is only about a 5 min walk to the tube & the same to Kensington Gardens. If you are happy walking, Oxford Street (shopping mecca) is about 15 minutes on foot or 2 stops on the tube from Queensway.

Can't help much on the private taxi side as I never use them (even when I lived in London). What are planning on using them for - airport to London? I wouldn't like to guess what it would cost for a private hire from London to Dover, but it wouldn't be difficult to find out.

We're on the last Baltic cruise (even then the girls miss the last 4 days of school)

Celestine

I would like to throw out some questions:

6. Can anyone give me first hand accounts of the Disney transfers overseas?

I guess I am thinking out loud. LOL. Any help is appreciated.

We did the Med with Disney transfers last time and it worked great. Disney reps met us at the airport and took us to our hotel and from the hotel to the port. From the hotel to the port was pretty much the same procedure as from WDW to the port. In the airport we had to get our luggage and then meet the reps. All in all things were great for us.

We flew Delta Louisville to Atlanta and then from Atlanta to Barcelona and back and had no problems with our luggage going to Barcelona. We had one piece delayed by a day coming back from Barcelona, but that was because we were delayed in Barcelona and missed our connecting flight. We only had 30 minutes to make the new connecting flight so 7 of 8 pieces of checked luggage making it was not bad.

Bluegrass, that is great to hear. Did you book your hotel thru Disney with the transfers or did you book the hotel separately?

We have put in a request with our timeshare company for the following hotels in London: Citadines Holborn, Somerset Queensgate Gardens, Sunborn Yacht Hotel, 47 Park Street, Somerset Bayswater, and Fraser Place. Does anyone have any information about any of these hotels? We've done some research and they all seem to be nice hotels, however, pictures on the Internet can be deceiving.

Hi all:yay:
We're on the July 18th Baltic. Also planning on a day or so in London pre-cruise.
Thanks so much for the info:thumbsup2

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2006323&page=227

I fixed the link to my pics on our first post on our Ballyhoo thread and I've posted it here as well for ease of looking. You will need to go back a few posts and forward a few posts for additional pics of the various ports.

My favorite port was Tallinn; very quaint, old medievil city. DD's favorite, was 14 when we sailed, was St. Petersburg - she loves history and palaces and such. I'm not sure which port was DH's favorite, but I would almost have to say (for him) it was Warnemunde, since it was such a relaxing day for us in this seaside town.

This is a great thread. Keep the ideas coming! :)

Wow you have a Glock I have a Walter P99!:woohoo::thumbsup2

We have a Kimber custom II 1911 chambered and 45 ACP; a Ruger P93DC 9 mm; the Glock is a G21. Now, that info came from DH; all I know is how to load and shoot, LOL!

And I see you are a fellow Bostonian....very cool (even though I have relocated, lol).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter