The 2009 DCI, WGI, BOA thread

Don't even tease about something like that! :banana:

With all of the announcements over the last couple weeks, hopefully it means they are truely trying to regain that Madison Magic. Can't wait for another year or so from now when we have 2 Wisconsin corps fighting for the top 6! Hmmmmm...a 1-2 cheeseland finish would be incredible!

Anyone into DCA? Their shows aren't that bad. Actually more entertaining than some top-12 DCI corps. There is a DCA corps here in Central Florida and I'm actually interested in checking out a few camps. What can I say? I miss performing!

The Madison Scouts are pleased to announce their 2010 show production featuring George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue and Richard Rodgers’ Slaughter on Tenth Avenue.

:cool1:

....And heck...I didn't even hate The Holy Name Garfield Cadets of Bergen County this year. Not that much they can do will EVER top In The Springtime... and To Tame the Perilous Skies. Those shows were amazing.....

Thank you....thank you. *bows* :flower3:

Somehow the Scouts got my email addy, and they know I can cook for 200 ppl no problem.

This is not a good sign.......:sad2:

Somehow the Scouts got my email addy, and they know I can cook for 200 ppl no problem.

This is not a good sign.......:sad2:

Maybe it's just a lack of volunteers due to people having to take on more than one job at a time in this economy. :confused3 The Cadets contacted me last year because they were running low on volunteers....but they managed to pull through. :)

Last time I was on tour I did two weeks, and that darn near killed me! I'm thinking more like 7-10 days....I'll have to look over the tour dates. I'd like to do the New England swing, but not sure if the Scouts are heading that way this summer! I know one thing....I will NOT do the Texas - Oklahoma swing again....EVER! :sad2:

Last time I was on tour I did two weeks, and that darn near killed me! I'm thinking more like 7-10 days....I'll have to look over the tour dates. I'd like to do the New England swing, but not sure if the Scouts are heading that way this summer! I know one thing....I will NOT do the Texas - Oklahoma swing again....EVER! :sad2:

I remember it being over 110 degrees one day when we were in Texas......and we had a 10-hour rehearsal. I don't blame you. :sad2:

I remember it being over 110 degrees one day when we were in Texas......and we had a 10-hour rehearsal. I don't blame you. :sad2:

Ya and if I need to make a food run, I'm gonna need another option other than the Piggly Wiggly! :rotfl2:

I started looking back at a few of the earlier posts in this thread....

One of the reasons I'm upset about the current state (i.e. the last 10 years or so) of WGI is that designers don't know how to design a show well any more. The designers are simply picking music because "it's pretty", so they think "it'd make a good show", and the problem with that is 99% of these shows are forgettable because most of them all have the same feel to them. (Trust me....I've worked with some of these people. :rolleyes:) Even some of my friends who go to WGI Finals every year have problems naming the guards who did what. In the 80's and 90's the designers/writers treated their shows like one big conceptual production. You knew it was Pride of Cincinnati who was doing "that jail show".....and you knew it was Bishop Kearney who did "that Jackson Pollack show" because not only were they memorable, but they were original and stylistically distinctive to each unit. While some of the guards today do some amazing "tricks" with the equipment and have some wonderful skills, they're not really shows I'd want to sit through more than once.....and to me that's a huge shame. There seems to be a similar problem currently going on with DCI as well, but it's not quite as noticeable. DCI has some bigger issues to work out, but we'll leave that for another day. :rotfl2:

Three words come to mind!

Rock with Sac!

If those gals were rocking and rolling, you knew they were from Cambridge!

Now WGI is like a dance troupe! :sad2:

Three words come to mind!

Rock with Sac!

If those gals were rocking and rolling, you knew they were from Cambridge!

Now WGI is like a dance troupe! :sad2:

::yes::::yes::::yes::::yes::

You can't make it into an Open or World class guard any more unless you have dance experience. It's like a dance troupe. A dance troupe that emotes excessively......that has about 20 different things going on the floor at the same time. :rolleyes: The person whose guard I'm helping with gave me this year's rules for time limits, etc. In our class the show has to be something like 4:30 to 5:30 minutes.....and the amount of time that equipment has to be in at least 6 members' hands is something like 2 minutes. What's the point? :confused3

Remember Union High School in 1987? (The "Mannequins" show?) That show was almost 7 minutes long, and they were using equipment for at least 6:30.

Union High School 1987

(Yeah, the music and uniforms are tacky.....but come on! It was fun! :lmao:)

The Madison Scouts are pleased to announce their 2010 show production featuring George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue and Richard Rodgers’ Slaughter on Tenth Avenue.

:cool1:

WWWOOO HOOO Rhapsody in Blue!!!!!

The new Cadets logo does absolutly nothing for me at all......:confused3

37201.jpg

The new Cadets logo does absolutly nothing for me at all......:confused3

37201.jpg

This topic hits me pretty hard for a couple reasons:

1. I marched with this organization....
and
2. I used to do work in an industry that involved branding, logo design and marketing.

Their identity is that they no longer have an identity, and this seems to be a trend with a lot of companies (and corps) at the moment. The people in marketing/branding have tossed aside branding and logos that are memorable and have just decided to use logos that at the time of production they think are "cool", which is forcing them to simply "blend in". This could be the result of several things including (but not limited to) the lack of design talent, or the desire to want to change logos every few years. I'm guessing it's a little of both. I can understand companies wanting to update their logos, but most of the companies who have recently changed them have pretty much taken all sense of recognition and company tradition out of them. Sure....The Cadets want to look toward the future and be a cutting edge corps and possibly get a new fan base--but at the same time they changed their name back to the "Holy Name Cadets" in order to bring back some of the nostalgic fans, so I'm not sure why they'd choose a logo like this. Since they've changed logos and names at least 6 times over the past 2 decades I think this is doing them more harm than good.

In short, this generation of designers and marketers is suffering from ADD. :rolleyes:

Oh.....and have you heard? The old Holiday Inn and the new Holiday Inn had a baby.......

WalidayInn.jpg

So ..... for those Corps fans in the Orlando / central Florida area better be planning a road trip next summer :eek:

NO shows scheduled in Florida :sick:

just me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter