The 2009 DCI, WGI, BOA thread

OrlandoMike

<font color=red>all I can say is beer hurts when i
Well here is the new thread. I've invited some Marching Band folks over from the CB so lets welcome all the new people!

This thread is for anyone who enjoys the Marching Musical Arts!

We keep it over here on the GLBT board cuz it tends to get lost on the CB, that's the only reason. So to get this thread started, as this is a Dis board, I give you Star of Indiana '85...

Blast from the past! :lmao:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/star-of-indiana-1985/3982449806

So I'll get started...

We have a few big parades comming up, anyone marching in one of them, or know someone who is?

Morning.. our band marching season is over.. but now it is winter drum line and then pep band for bb games..then the marching band is going to Hawaii over spring break so they will rehearse in 2009 for those parades and performances. then there is Memorial day parade to prep for and then summer rehearsals for marching band season 2009.. it never ends..just keeps on going.. same band different name..

BAC - Boston Crusaders Sr. Corps will be performing in Plymouth Mass this Saturday, November 22. Also will be freezing our tails off in the morning parade for the America's Hometown Celebration. Along with the Cru, Hawthorne, St. Kevin's, Blessed Sac, Park City Pride, and for their final performance, The Light Brigade. It's always a memorable night, and that one last shot at us "ol' timers" laying it out on the line.

At our final rehearsal for the 08 season yesterday we sounded great. The drum line is sporting 8 snares these days along with 4 tenors, 4 bass, and 3 cymbals. The hornline is still at about 42 horns, and the guard is presently at 5 flags, and a national section. Our performance will include, Shangri-la, El Capitan, I Walk With god, Ole (North Star-78-80), This Masquerade (North Star), California Dreamin, and of course Conquest! Ya gotta hear the mellphones on this now....All 9 are hanging it out there on an F chord for 16 counts at the end....

Anyone within driving distance might want to consider coming down and doing next year with us. We are keeping half the show, Ole included, and adding Conquest, the jazz version and a couple other goodies... If any of you are interested, PM me, and I will be happy to supply you with information! Come be part of the ONLY Sr. corps to still have a competing top 10 Jr. corps in DCI.

Got news yesterday one of our contra/tuba players made the cut and will be performing with the Jr. corps in 09!

That's it from New England....

Thanks for putting this thread up Mike!:thumbsup2

Thanks for the link!

Marching season is over for us also. We're in playoff mode now. The football team won it's first playoff game and is scheduled to play in Texas Stadium at 9 pm this friday night. It will be fun for the band to play there. Most have never even been in the stadium, yours included.

Winterguard tryouts were last week and my daughter made the rifle line. We have 10 girls in the WG this year. A good number considering how young the program is. Carol's a senior this year and this is the band's fourth year in existance. They had a WG her freshman year and then it skipped two years. We both are looking forward to her WG season.

The band's last marching performance will be in the Neiman Marcus Adolphus Children's parade in Dallas on Dec. 6th.

We're not DCI, WGI or BOA so I hope that it's okay to post over here.

I'm no longer currently active in any of the activities......but I did design the floor for one of the local high school winterguards this year. :woohoo: I was supposed to be on staff this year, but I wanted to steer clear of the drama that's been unfolding. :rolleyes1

Thanks for starting the new 2009 thread. I have been visiting DCP and talking to some folks who attending BOA Nationals at Lucas Oil and so far the feedback on the stadium is not too bad. I guess the acoustics are doable.

I am anxious to attend finals in Indy in August.

pinnie

I can’t wait to see what the Vanguard and Blue Devils have for 2009. Living so close to the Vanguard, I can’t wait to see who Martha is and why she gets a Ballet. Just kidding the “Ballet for Martha” should be an awesome show.

Born of a 1942 commissioned dance to premiere at the Library of Congress, 'Ballet for Martha' - Aaron Copland's composition for his friend and contemporary Martha Graham, will title the Santa Clara Vanguard summer program in 2009. Drawing upon the original influence of the American spirit, youth, optimism and hope, Copland expanded the Pulitzer Prize-winning ballet score a decade later, borrowing the title Graham used for her new dance, Appalachian Spring.

The SCV Cadets also seem to be creating something just as exciting. Called “Love”

"This year the design team wanted to explore a universal theme and we couldn't think of anything more thematically universal than love, the most powerful and transforming human emotion," says corps director Rob Ripley. "The show is being constructed not only to challenge our membership in new ways both in terms of music and movement but thoroughly entertain the audience in ways they expect and hopefully in unanticipated ways as well."
Don

Two questions...

Has anyone oredered the DCI DVD's yet? I'm having problems with the DCI site. :confused3 Maybe I need to give Santa a call.

Second question, does your involvment in DCI help when packing for vacation? I read about people packing 2 weeks before a trip to Disney!:eek:

I can literally pack for ANY trip in about 20 minutes, thanks to my Drum Corps years! :thumbsup2

Hey all,

I got to perform this past Saturday night with the Boston Crusaders Sr. corps. What a hoot... Legendary is one word that comes to mind...I posted the video on You Tube. There are 2 parts. Part one includes Shangri la, El Cap, I Walk With God, and Ole (yep North Star :thumbsup2 )...Sop players, you gotta hear Billy Deans play Jerry Noonans solo! And yes, that is me playing my solo from 30 years ago. I kind of choked up a bit in the middle as I lost my dad 2 months ago, and I know he would have been right there. Part 2 consists of Masquerade, California Dreamin, and of course CONQUEST! Anyhow, enjoy it....Not bad for a bunch of "old guys and gals"!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk9uJFSX9Sk
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVuClR2vA3o

And I see Light Brigade may have performed their last show. Guess this means the 27th Lancers are officially done.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqoJRXdCows&feature=related

Yep, really enjoyed them..I play with quite a few of them in Mass Brass. How about that bari solo in the Chicago Medley! Steve Dorgan, who was the original soloist from when the Lancers played that in 1971.

The whole night is really cool, and a spectacle that doesn't exist outside of the DCA championship weekend. I am really psyched that my 18 year old son has decided to come to the Crusaders with me and play in the drum line!

I have a site that I think you guys might like. It's MicroMarching, and I've become addicted to it. You can design your own drill and animate it. People rate your show and the higher your score-the more points you get, which enables you to have more options for your shows. When you first start out you're only allowed to use a small band/corps, but after obtaining more points you'll be able to do indoor percussion or winterguard shows, and have the ability to change instruments with your larger band/corps shows, etc. etc. The java software is a little limited, but it's still fun.

I was giddy when my last show made the top-2 last week....especially considering I'm still not 100% used to the software tricks and tools yet. :yay:

Try it! TRY IT! :yay: :yay:
*hyperventilates*

edit:
By the way, if you're using a Mac you might have some problems if you use Safari. I tend to like Firefox for this site.

I have a site that I think you guys might like. It's MicroMarching, and I've become addicted to it. You can design your own drill and animate it. People rate your show and the higher your score-the more points you get, which enables you to have more options for your shows. When you first start out you're only allowed to use a small band/corps, but after obtaining more points you'll be able to do indoor percussion or winterguard shows, and have the ability to change instruments with your larger band/corps shows, etc. etc. The java software is a little limited, but it's still fun.

I was giddy when my last show made the top-2 last week....especially considering I'm still not 100% used to the software tricks and tools yet. :yay:

Try it! TRY IT! :yay: :yay:
*hyperventilates*

edit:
By the way, if you're using a Mac you might have some problems if you use Safari. I tend to like Firefox for this site.
Our band director has that linked on the band website for the kids. They love it!

UGH!

Merideth announced a band as a drum and bugle corps!

Cant anyone get it right? :confused3 :lmao:

OK special needs color guard from Florida!

Why?

I really dont need to be crying before work!

These kids are great! :thumbsup2

OK special needs color guard from Florida!

Why?

I really dont need to be crying before work!

These kids are great! :thumbsup2

Were they in the parade? They performed at WGI Finals last season and the crowd went nuts. (I think there's still a video on YouTube of their performance.) I found myself applauding at the screen after the show. Very touching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter