• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TCD is proud to be an American!-July 4th at the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet the blue barrels in RC are somehow related to the mosquito device. It probably a study of the mosquito population.

Were they younger Scouts (as in under 11), or older Scouts (11-17)??

The reason I ask, cause if they are older, I imagine they are also heading towards Fort AP Hill Virginia as now the National Boy Scout Jamboree is in full swing. (It was moved to this year for the 100th birthday of Scouting) and this is the last time it will be at Fort AP Hill.

I was on staff at the 2005 Jambo, and had had ambitious plans to attend again this year, but since I got the camper, Army tent camping in 100+ degree heat with no AC and minimal electricity (as in we blew a circuit every day) just didn't seem so appealing any more.

This was a pretty diverse group, as you can see from these zooms of some previous photos:

July4th2010759.jpg

July4th2010760.jpg

There is some interesting stuff going on here.

Check out my man with the fanny pack!

When is the last time you saw anyone sporting one of those?

And, what is that dude with the murse doing with whatever it is that he is carrying around in a baggie?

Don't anybody make any comments about these folks being from Colombia.

That would be an unfair stereotype.

And a cheap shot.

In any event, the lady I spoke to told me that they were heading home after their stay at WDW, so this group was not heading to the Jamboree.

And, when I was zooming in on the first photo, look what I found:

July4th2010758.jpg

A woodpecker.

Cool!

Well, I'm happy to hear they were not Iranian sleeper agents or nuclear scientists.

And I'm happy to see these kids enjoying the Fort. Because of the nature of it's accomodations, I don't think the Fort experiences the diversity of guests from other countries that other Disney resorts do. But it's a great resort, and these campers from Columbia sure looked like they were organized and having a great time. And, as a former Scout myself it's cool to see this.

I bet the blue barrels in RC are somehow related to the mosquito device. It probably a study of the mosquito population.

All kidding aside, I think you may be right.

It never ceases to amaze me that there usually are not a lot of mosquitoes around the Fort, anywhere on WDW property for that matter.

I think this is something that they take very seriously.

And, overall, they do a good job with mosquito control.

Ah a Pilated Woodpecker, there a usually a pair and somewhat large.

Well, hello Bob.

Nice of you to stop by.

I assume you are back home?

It was good to meet you at the Fort.

But, now I am hearing about funnel cakes?

I didn't see any funnel cakes? :confused3

Well, I'm happy to hear they were not Iranian sleeper agents or nuclear scientists.

And I'm happy to see these kids enjoying the Fort. Because of the nature of it's accomodations, I don't think the Fort experiences the diversity of guests from other countries that other Disney resorts do. But it's a great resort, and these campers from Columbia sure looked like they were organized and having a great time. And, as a former Scout myself it's cool to see this.

I agree.

I once met a group of young Colombian business people who were visiting the States through a Rotary International program. They were among the nicest, most down to earth people I have ever met. People around the world form unfair opinions about the citizens of other countries. I am sure that this was just a nice group of kids having the time of their lives.

And, they had cool tents!

TCD

It looks like this is the end.

Of this trip report.

But, before you go, do you have time for one more mystery?

I never got this one solved.

Some time during the day on Monday, July 5th, this pop-up and car showed up across from us:

July4th2010747.jpg

It sat there all day.

In the rain.

I thought maybe the campers got there, parked, and headed to the parks, planning to return later to set up.

But, it was still sitting here on Tuesday morning.

Which is when I took this photo.

And, as I looked at it closer, I don't think that Honda could have towed the trailer. Upon further inspection, it didn't even have a trailer hitch. So, someone else put the trailer there.

Something funny was going on here.

But, I never found out what.

Do you think it has anything to do with the possessed duck?

Here is an interesting set-up which I came across on the 1200 loop:

July4th2010748.jpg

July4th2010749.jpg

July4th2010750.jpg

That is some serious decorating going on there.

Note the customized trailer there in the back.

And, they had a big six seater golf cart painted red with white polka dots.

It would seem like someone around here might know something about these people.

Anyone?

There was something going on in the open part of the old River Country site on Tuesday morning:

July4th2010751.jpg

July4th2010752.jpg

July4th2010753.jpg

The best that I could figure, this was a group of young people being trained in the landscaping department.

No biggie.

One last odd photo.

This camper had a giant M & M on display:

July4th2010754.jpg

And, note the exercise equipment.

On a previous looping excursion, I saw the man of this site doing jumping jacks right there next to the M & M.

:confused3

What the Fort?

To each his own.

Two final photos . . .

We had a young armadillo living near our site.

Nobody told him that he is supposed to be nocturnal:

July4th2010755.jpg

July4th2010756.jpg

And, that ladies and gentlemen, is that.

That's all I have.

It's over.

I am not sure when I will be back to the Fort.

I would like to go in August, but we have some busy weekends in August.

So, I'm not sure.

But, I will see what I can do.

Until then.

TCD is out.

Thanks again for an entertaining trip report. One more before we leave would be great! If not though, maybe we will see you there in September.

Looks like OTTER tracks to me!!!

True story...I had completely forgotten this until I saw the above photo. While fishing behind the 300 loop on Wednesday morning, I kept hearing large splashes in the water in several different places, each time I would go to where I had heard the splash and cast my line, never coming up with anything, but did see what LOOKED like the top of a very large fish skimming the surface of the water with its fins not extended. This happened at least 6 times, and I saw the "fish" at the surface at least 4 times. This all went on in a 10 minute time period, and the splashes were very well spread out over a pretty large area. The last splashing I heard that morning was across the water from me, about 50 feet to the front of the little cabin back there...2, not ONE, but TWO otters climbed out of the water and scurried into the woods. Apparently there is an OTTER HOME in that area!!! It was the coolest thing, and of COARSE no one will believe me because I was not able to drop my pole and get the camera out of my pocket fast enough...but I swear to you as an honest man of my word...this REALLY DID HAPPEN!!!

...But, before you go, do you have time for one more mystery? I never got this one solved. Some time during the day on Monday, July 5th, this pop-up and car showed up across from us:

July4th2010747.jpg

It sat there all day. In the rain. I thought maybe the campers got there, parked, and headed to the parks, planning to return later to set up. But, it was still sitting here on Tuesday morning. Something funny was going on here. But, I never found out what...

This reminds me of a chiling mystery we witnessed during our Christmas 2008 visit. This very nice coach parked in a site across from us. It took them a long time backing the huge rig into the spot but with some teamwork from the wife who was spotting and the husband driving they got it done. The kids got out their bikes while the adults set up. Later they cooked out. Next morning they were up bright and early and took off in the car they had towed behind the RV. Never saw them again for the rest of the week we were there. A couple of days later Disney dropped off that familiar envelope they give you on checkout day. It sat there. That afternoon we saw Disney po po looking around knocking on doors. Nothing. They asked us and we told them our story. The last evening the Sheriff came by along with a couple of Disney po pos. Since they were right at the entrance to our site, I was nosy and asked what was up. The CM said the family had been in a bad accident on day one. She was not sure about injuries. They were making sure the RV was empty and secure and that they were trying to decide whether to tow it out or not. Our hearts sank! A nice young family on a Christmas vacation at this magical place might have lost their lives. What a tragedy.

Looks like OTTER tracks to me!!!

True story...I had completely forgotten this until I saw the above photo. While fishing behind the 300 loop on Wednesday morning, I kept hearing large splashes in the water in several different places, each time I would go to where I had heard the splash and cast my line, never coming up with anything, but did see what LOOKED like the top of a very large fish skimming the surface of the water with its fins not extended. This happened at least 6 times, and I saw the "fish" at the surface at least 4 times. This all went on in a 10 minute time period, and the splashes were very well spread out over a pretty large area. The last splashing I heard that morning was across the water from me, about 50 feet to the front of the little cabin back there...2, not ONE, but TWO otters climbed out of the water and scurried into the woods. Apparently there is an OTTER HOME in that area!!! It was the coolest thing, and of COARSE no one will believe me because I was not able to drop my pole and get the camera out of my pocket fast enough...but I swear to you as an honest man of my word...this REALLY DID HAPPEN!!!

Rog- Thanks for sharing that story. I have never seen an otter at the Fort. Heck, I don't think I have even seen a photo of one at the Fort. But, my DD's told me they saw two swimming around Discovery Island.

So I believe you.

I know the Otter Spotter says she sees otters at the Fort.

But, you know how she is :smokin::hippie:

I actually googled for an image of otter tracks.

I don't think these are otter tracks.

But, I did find a website where you can buy animal footprint stamps for concrete- they even have elephant tracks: Concrete Stamps

This reminds me of a chiling mystery we witnessed during our Christmas 2008 visit. This very nice coach parked in a site across from us. It took them a long time backing the huge rig into the spot but with some teamwork from the wife who was spotting and the husband driving they got it done. The kids got out their bikes while the adults set up. Later they cooked out. Next morning they were up bright and early and took off in the car they had towed behind the RV. Never saw them again for the rest of the week we were there. A couple of days later Disney dropped off that familiar envelope they give you on checkout day. It sat there. That afternoon we saw Disney po po looking around knocking on doors. Nothing. They asked us and we told them our story. The last evening the Sheriff came by along with a couple of Disney po pos. Since they were right at the entrance to our site, I was nosy and asked what was up. The CM said the family had been in a bad accident on day one. She was not sure about injuries. They were making sure the RV was empty and secure and that they were trying to decide whether to tow it out or not. Our hearts sank! A nice young family on a Christmas vacation at this magical place might have lost their lives. What a tragedy.

Wow. I hope that isn't what was going on here. You never think about stuff like that happening at WDW, but it does.

TCD

TCD, we are going to be at The Fort August 14 to August 28. We have requested the 1700 loop. If you are there at that time, stop by and say hello, You won't be able to miss us.

I got a PM suggesting that those tracks might be armadillo tracks.

I think that might be it!

dillotrack.jpg

July4th2010696.jpg

What do you think?

TCD

Well, hello Bob.

Nice of you to stop by.

I assume you are back home?

It was good to meet you at the Fort.

But, now I am hearing about funnel cakes?

I didn't see any funnel cakes? :confused3

TCD

We got home Sunday and never did get to make the funnel cakes. DW said she will definitely make them in October. It was good to meet you also, hope we run into each other in October if your gonna be there.

Well I think that was a good 3hrs of solid reading. Not bad for 13 pages.

I always love reading your trip reports cause I always go back to the fort looking for the same thing. Unfortunately I'm not in Florida, and California makes it a little difficult to get back there.

Since 2006 I have watched the July 4th Fireworks from the Poly. And the EWP boats are always there. And there's always some rich family that gets a special spot on the land the jets out to the water. They have cocktails and finger foods with special little baskets of goodies. And this is not the first year that they've rented out Typhoon either. I heard a lot working in Photopass, mostly since we were in all the parks and knew the going ons every where. Although for the life of me, can't think of who it is that does it. I want to say it's a family like the Osbornes, or some one that's popular with Disney uppers.

If I'm not mistaken you did leave out one mystery from the beginning of the story. The picture of Muskett Mickey holding the gun. That would be from the US map in the Villas of Wilderness Lodge Lobby, right there by the front door. I've studied that map many of times.

I've never been able to stay at the fort for the Fourth... with block outs on discounts and full rack rate pricing, it was just never affordable. However, I will miss staying at the Fort for Halloween. And reading every topic by you, makes me miss the Fort that much more. It's amazing how much you can miss a place when you're not nearby. Being out here in the middle of California is cool and all. Not more than a couple hrs away from Yosemite, Sonoma Valley, San Fran, and lots of other national parks. But I'm really missing the theme parks (which DL and SW are like an 8hr drive).

And I have noticed the paw tracks in the loop, but never really gave any thought to it. I guess it's one of those things we come to expect at Disney.

Awesome TR! Loved every minute! :hippie: (Sorry, it had to be done. I only wish we had accordian playing hippie icons.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter