TCD is proud to be an American!-July 4th at the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
I told you it wouldn't be long.

The TCD gang visited the Fort for the 4th of July, 2010.

We met a lot of Disboarders!

A lot!

And we had some rain.

Actually, a lot.

We saw exactly one yellow fly.

And, I killed him.

So, I think the yellow fly thing is done.

And, despite the rain, I did not see a single mosquito all weekend.

Not even one!

A couple of mysteries were solved.

And there will be a behind the scenes shot or two.

And, some photos of some things that have been at the Fort for a long time.

But never photographed.

Until now.

And, there will be tales of a TCD secret canoe mission.

But, as with all TCD trip reports, we must start at the beginning.

We arrived on Friday, July 2.

We pulled in to the Fort at around noon. And, waited in a line with just one RV in front of us.

We were assigned to site 1507. TCD loves the 1500 loop. And, we had this site for one of our visits in 2009. No complaints from me.

On our initial inspection of the Fort, the only thing new that we found was that the Creekside Meadow bus stop was closed because it is getting a new roof:

July4th2010001.jpg

July4th2010002.jpg

And, by new roof, I mean that the entire roof, including the wood, was being replaced.

Oddly enough, Creekside Meadow will be the scene of two solved mysteries on this visit.

We will get to those mysteries in due time.

After setting up, the first order of business was a visit to Blizzard Beach.

Having just visited the Fort during a heat wave in June, we planned to be away from the Fort every afternoon so that we were not sitting around sweltering. As you will soon learn, however, the rain and clouds altered this plan, and Friday was the only day that we went to a waterpark.

On the way to BB, DD snapped a few photos of the new kennel building so we can track its progress. It is supposed to open in late August. It looks like it is moving along:

July4th2010003.jpg

July4th2010004.jpg

July4th2010005.jpg

Because it had rained a bit earlier in the day, Blizzard Beach was pleasantly uncrowded when we arrived. The family raft ride was a walk on. We have never seen that. And, the lines for Summit Plummet and the other big slide were only 15 minutes. Although we had initially planned on staying until closing (which was 7 pm that evening), because there were no lines, we had basically done everything we wanted to, and headed back to the Fort at around 6 pm.

As you might have guessed, dinner that evening was the TCD gang favorite, Giddyap and Go. While picking up our dinner that first evening, we ran into good old BigDaddyRog at Trails' End, along with Stacktester. For any of you wondering, the Cowboy Beans are still not on the menu, but they are available.

After a most enjoyable dinner, we spent time enjoying the Fort, and then decided to head over to the Contemporary Resort to enjoy the Summer Nightastic fireworks. As reported in the June 2010, trip report, we have already watched the Summer Nightastic fireworks from the Fort. For this visit, we were going to check them out from the Contemporary Resort. At one point, I toyed with the idea of watching the fireworks from atop BLT. But, getting to the BLT observation deck is a bit of a hassle, so we opted for the public observation deck on the fourth floor of the Contemporary Resort. We have never watched the fireworks from here, but we have seen lots of people watch from here before, so we decided to give it a try.

Here's what we saw:

July4th2010011.jpg

July4th2010012.jpg

July4th2010014.jpg

July4th2010021.jpg

July4th2010022.jpg

July4th2010023.jpg

July4th2010024.jpg

July4th2010026.jpg

July4th2010028.jpg

July4th2010029.jpg

July4th2010030.jpg

July4th2010031.jpg

July4th2010032.jpg

July4th2010052.jpg

July4th2010060.jpg

The music is piped in for the fireworks here.

Personally, I think the view is better from here than it is from BLT. But, don't tell the BLT folks that. They have to pay a lot of money to watch the fireworks from their roof.

Have you ever noticed all of the great places there are to stop and sit at the Contemporary? On the second floor, where all the ballrooms are located, there are several great sitting areas. This is a great place to sit and rest, and get out of the weather. I am not sure what these lounges are for, but they are sure comfortable:

July4th2010062.jpg

OK, we have all heard about the Fort's lawnmower tree before, right?

Have any of you ever heard about the bicycle tree?

Well, we saw it when we got back to the Fort that night.

See?:

July4th2010064.jpg

July4th2010065.jpg

July4th2010066.jpg

If you are going to the Fort soon, don't waste your time looking for the bicycle tree.

It is already gone.

It's just a stump now.

Just kidding. I guess this was just some hooligans playing a prank, because the bike was gone the next morning.

Now, for our first mystery.

As we arrived back at the Fort, at around 10:45 pm, we heard fireworks going off somewhere. But the MK fireworks had been at 10 pm. And Epcots' are always at 9. This was not Fantasmic that we were hearing. It was a prolonged fireworks display.

Where were fireworks going off at 9:45 pm on July 2? There was no mention of these on the WDW schedule. So what was the deal with these fireworks?

Does anyone know?

Did anyone else hear these?

Well, TCD got some inside info about these mystery fireworks.

The answer will be revealed later, when I tell you about our meeting with our "source."

Next up . . .

The official July 4th activities begin at the Fort!

TCD

I heard the fireworks and was curious. Please solve the mystery for us soon!

KFK will be so happy to hear the Cowboy beans are still available.

Anxiously awaiting your next installment...

I began my morning patrol on Saturday, July 3rd, in the Meadow Recreation Area.

The 4th of July golf cart parade would begin at 9am, so, I needed to get around for my inspection early.

If you ever want to be in the parade, but forget to register the day before, as required, you might find this sign to be of interest:

July4th2010068.jpg

July4th2010067.jpg

It's been a while since I posted a shot of the prices for the Bike Barn rentals, so here you go:

July4th2010069.jpg

You know, the trees have really grown up around the entrance to the Meadow Pool. You can't even see the sign anymore:

July4th2010072.jpg

July4th2010074.jpg

July4th2010075.jpg

Hey look!

It's a bunny!:

July4th2010073.jpg

The Fort has some beautiful Crepe Myrtle trees around. These bloom in June and July. Here is a real beauty right outside the pool entrance:

July4th2010076.jpg

This table was set up along the side of the road near the Settlement Bus Stop:

July4th2010077.jpg

There is no mystery here. It's just the table for the judges to sit at for the golf cart parade.

There weren't a lot of folks out early Saturday morning:

July4th2010078.jpg

Here are some shots of the path leading to the Settlement area from the main road. The 100 loop backs up to this path. Off to the left, through the trees, is Pioneer Hall. I like that they have not cleared this area out. This is what it used to be like around all of the camping loops, before all the undergrowth was cleared out. I like the fact that you can't see Pioneer Hall from here. But, I always expect that this area is going to get the clear cut one of these days:

July4th2010079.jpg

July4th2010080.jpg

July4th2010081.jpg

July4th2010082.jpg

July4th2010083.jpg

I know what you are thinking.

You are thinking that TCD is losing it.

That he is slipping.

I mean, I have already posted about thirty photos, but none of site 617.

What kind of trip report is this, anyway?

Not to worry.

Here are the site 617 photos:

July4th2010084.jpg

July4th2010085.jpg

July4th2010086.jpg

July4th2010087.jpg

July4th2010088.jpg

There. That's better.

Oh, and make sure to note the poor guy with the hybrid with his bunk end about two feet away from the sidewalk, and maybe six feet from the road. Plus the 800 loop bus stop is right across the street from here. And, this poor fellow is paying for a premium site!

What a spectacular campsite!

Speaking of spectacular. . .

This fifth wheel was on the 600 loop:

July4th2010090.jpg

Nice, right?

But, that's not all. Check out the tow vehicle!:

July4th2010089.jpg

Very nice.

I recently posted some photos of the "canal' between the 2000 and 2100 loops. The old photos were from January, 2009. The canal looked more like a ditch. But that was during the dry winter. Surely the canal looks a lot better now that the summer rains have returned. Right?

Wrong!:

July4th2010091.jpg

July4th2010092.jpg

This is what the canal looks like across the road. It runs behind the 2300 and 2500 cabin loops here:

July4th2010093.jpg

So, it's still Saturday morning.

And, the golf cart parade starts at 9.

Maybe we will see some photos of that next?

TCD

Before gathering up the TCD twins and heading to the parade, I had time to stop behind the Meadow Trading Post to check on bear rock.

Since my visit last month, someone has weeded around the rock, and even replaced the bear's stick.

See?:

July4th2010094.jpg

July4th2010096.jpg

That's better!

The lake looks really good these days:

July4th2010098.jpg

July4th2010099.jpg

July4th2010100.jpg

When I stopped in the Trading Post for a cup of coffee, I found something very disturbing.

The Goofy Glacier machine was out of order!: :scared1:

July4th2010101.jpg

Not to worry. Since this break-down had the potential of lost revenue, the repair was made quickly, and the Goofy Glacier machine was working for the rest of the weekend.

We chose a shady spot near the Meadow Trading Post to watch the parade:

July4th2010103.jpg

And, then the parade began!:

July4th2010107.jpg

July4th2010108.jpg

The people on the wagon here with goofy are the judges. One was in a castmember uniform. I don't know who he was, or the other two, who were just in regular clothes.

Right after the wagon came the bicycle division:

July4th2010112.jpg

Notice the bagpiper. He marched and played the whole parade route:

July4th2010114.jpg

I think this was the first cart in the parade:

July4th2010115.jpg

I have seen these folks and their cart around the Fort a lot. They were definitely in the Halloween parade, too. They won third prize for this entry. It is supposed to be a Winnebago.

I thought this design was pretty good:

July4th2010119.jpg

This cart won the prize for being most creative:

July4th2010123.jpg

It looked like the big alligator on the roof was hand-made. These folks were camping on the 1400 loop.

Here's a Disboarder!:

July4th2010125.jpg

And, this is another group of Disboarders:

July4th2010127.jpg

This cart was well done:

July4th2010133.jpg

And, I liked this one, too:

July4th2010139.jpg

Here's a something classic.

Look who just happened to be driving by heading the opposite direction during the parade:

July4th2010140.jpg

July4th2010141.jpg

Really?

This surprised me. Not the detail truck. But the fact that the road was not closed to traffic. For the Halloween parade, the road is completely closed, and the parade goes down the middle of the road. I don't think this was a very good idea. There were people watching on the opposite side of the road, and participants were throwing candy and beads. It was not wise to have traffic coming in the opposite direction at the same time.

These folks won second prize for most creative:

July4th2010145.jpg

And, these folks also won an award. They were second or third in one of the categories:

July4th2010148.jpg

This guy won the TCD award for pimpest cart:

July4th2010150.jpg

And, this was another group of Disboarders:

July4th2010152.jpg

Coming up- the parade winner.

And, someone else shimmied up the pole to the Pioneer Hall porch!!!

TCD

site 617 has some new fencing since Christmas, while we were there we had to use strings of lights to block folks from walking right into our patio. The foot traffic was one things but some jerk kept driving his cart back and forth through there.

TCD, as usual, you're making it very difficult for us to post our, compared to yours, wimpy little TRs.:worship:

It was a pleasure to meet you. Wish we had chatted a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter