• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TCD is proud to be an American!-July 4th at the Fort!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was just getting dark:

July4th2010226.jpg

Wow.. I can see myself on the peninsula propped up against a palm tree:cheer2:

Love the reports!

If I'm not mistaken you did leave out one mystery from the beginning of the story. The picture of Muskett Mickey holding the gun. That would be from the US map in the Villas of Wilderness Lodge Lobby, right there by the front door. I've studied that map many of times.

I've never been able to stay at the fort for the Fourth... with block outs on discounts and full rack rate pricing, it was just never affordable.

Good job!

Yes, this photo is from a large, framed map in the VWL lobby:

July4th2010214.jpg

As you may have noticed, that is the Alamo in the background. Disney characters are depicted at other historically significant places on this map. It is fun to look at.

And, FYI, I received a Florida Resident's discount for my stay over the 4th. I doubt that discounts are typically available for the 4th, but they were this year.

TCD

Not an icon, but...
psychedelic+accordionist.jpg

Thanks again for another AWESOME trip report TCD!!!

Wow, Monique! Where in the world did you find that photo? It is scary yet hilarious at the same time. And, here I thought that I had spotted the first ever accordion playing hippie. What little I know.

TCD,

I've been lurking on this board for a while and decided to come out of lurkdom to tell you that as a direct result of your trip reports I want to camp at Disney.

We've never been to Disney and are saving up to go next year. Originally, we were going to pull the kids out of school for 3 days and go over fall break in October, but now I want to go camping there for 10 days over July 4th. My dd's birthday is 2 days after so it would be a huge birthday present for her.

We've only tent camped, but are looking into buying a used pop up now. I've convinced my husband that this is the way to go by telling him about your trip report. :banana:

How far in advance should I book a site? We won't know if we can camp there until we get a camper which hopefully will be soon.

Thank you so much for the fun and interesting read. I've enjoyed it.

Wow!

This is your first post!

As far as when you should book, there was site availability this year right up until the 4th. But, the site types were limited. If you think you want to go, I would say book now. You would probably have your choice of any of the four campsite types. The deposit is only the rate for one night, and it is fully refundable up to 5 days before your arrival date, so there really is no risk.

If you are going to visit in July, be sure to get a camper with A/C. People do camp in July without A/C, but I wouldn't.

Well, TCD, once again you have out-done yourself. I was out of town for two weeks without internet :scared1:, but was hoping for a good TCD report when we got back. I just finally made it all the way through. Loved it.

Still hoping to meet you one day at the Fort. Sadly, there's no trip in our immediate future. :sad1: But, we can't stay away too long, especially with reports like this one to remind us how great it is there.

Leslie

Thanks, Leslie.

I hope you and your gang make it back to the Fort sooner rather than later.

I'm sure we will run into each other one of these days.

What's that sign at #613?

hippie1.jpg

A closer view reveals that TCD is all set for his next stay. All he has to do is request site #613. It has a "no accordian playing hippies" sign. I stayed there and the sign works. Not a single accordian playing hippie showed up.
hippie3.jpg

That is great, Magicbus! :rotfl2:

You say this sign really worked?

Are you saying no hippies at all? :hippie:

Or just no accordion playing hippies?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oh my gosh. You people are hilarious.

Thanks for the report, TCD:wizard:

Being new and all, I just finished reading the original hippie,
I mean Spring Break, TR.

So, finally, I get whats going on. FUNNY stuff. :hippie:

Glad you finally got with the program about the hippies.

One can never be too careful.

Wow.. I can see myself on the peninsula propped up against a palm tree:cheer2:

Love the reports!

Seriously?

Were you really there?

Or, are you speaking in hypothetical terms?

I noticed a lot of people over there on the peninsula. I gather that this is a popular place to view the fireworks. If you were there, do you prefer it over the beach area?

TCD

Wow!

This is your first post!

As far as when you should book, there was site availability this year right up until the 4th. But, the site types were limited. If you think you want to go, I would say book now. You would probably have your choice of any of the four campsite types. The deposit is only the rate for one night, and it is fully refundable up to 5 days before your arrival date, so there really is no risk.

If you are going to visit in July, be sure to get a camper with A/C. People do camp in July without A/C, but I wouldn't.

TCD

Thanks! I have definitely convinced my husband and now he's as excited as I am. We already have a couple of little camping trips planned throughout the year. We are hoping to buy a camper (definitely with A/C-we live in OK and it's pushing 100 degrees right now) by the end of August. I am going to talk to him about dates and we'll reserve a spot. Yay!

Seriously?
Were you really there?
Or, are you speaking in hypothetical terms?

I noticed a lot of people over there on the peninsula. I gather that this is a popular place to view the fireworks. If you were there, do you prefer it over the beach area?

TCD

If the chain is down and they allow people over there I enjoy the view much better, though on a normal night you dont get the music piped in (for the third / fourth of july fireworks the ELP barges pipe in the music so more people can hear it) Its a great dead on shot of MK / Castle with less some clutter in the way, great for photos, bad for video when your tracking it with the music that you can barely hear.

If the chain is down and they allow people over there I enjoy the view much better, though on a normal night you dont get the music piped in (for the third / fourth of july fireworks the ELP barges pipe in the music so more people can hear it) Its a great dead on shot of MK / Castle with less some clutter in the way, great for photos, bad for video when your tracking it with the music that you can barely hear.

Thanks for the info! If I am not in the MK, I typically will be watching the fireworks from Clementine's Beach at the Fort. So, I am not real familiar with watching fireworks from the Poly beach. I liked sitting in the lounger right on the edge of the water. But, I noticed that there were a lot of people up on that little raised peninsula. I didn't know that the audio would be coming from the EWP boats, and I wondered how those folks would hear the audio. Now I know. I will need to give the hill a try the next time. When you go there, do you walk from the Transportation and Ticket Center? Or from the Poly?

And while we are speaking about audio, I wonder what the fireworks cruises do about this? Do they have audio? If so, it must be broadcast by radio. I wonder if it is an FM station that others could pick up? It seems that for the 4th, all of the cruises were congregated around this peninsula, but on other nights, I think they are more spread out around the Seven Seas Lagoon.

You got me TCD. There was a violin playing hippie that stopped by.

That is what I was afraid of. These hippies can be a very literal bunch.

Did someone say violin playing hippie?

Dov-before.jpg

gotta love Google images :3dglasses

Nice one again, Monique!

But, what a loser this hippie is. Look at his pants. In fact, I am willing to bet that this isn't even a real hippie. Just a poser trying to be cool.

What if THIS hippie shows up at your campsite??

51wOWDjo%2BIL.jpg

I would still be suspicious. I know it's an unfair generalization, but I don't trust any hippies. This one looks so innocent, but that is probably her angle. You let down your guard, and then BAM! out come the drugs, and then the murdering. You just can't be too careful about these hippies. Do not underestimate them!

Why do you think they have all those big black traps for that are all over the Fort?

:rotfl2:

TCD

Nice one again, Monique!

But, what a loser this hippie is. Look at his pants. In fact, I am willing to bet that this isn't even a real hippie. Just a poser trying to be cool.

I agree. No self-respecting hippie would wear plain brown pants. Now THESE are hippie pants....

show_image.php

Thanks for the info! If I am not in the MK, I typically will be watching the fireworks from Clementine's Beach at the Fort. So, I am not real familiar with watching fireworks from the Poly beach. I liked sitting in the lounger right on the edge of the water. But, I noticed that there were a lot of people up on that little raised peninsula. I didn't know that the audio would be coming from the EWP boats, and I wondered how those folks would hear the audio. Now I know. I will need to give the hill a try the next time. When you go there, do you walk from the Transportation and Ticket Center? Or from the Poly?

And while we are speaking about audio, I wonder what the fireworks cruises do about this? Do they have audio? If so, it must be broadcast by radio. I wonder if it is an FM station that others could pick up? It seems that for the 4th, all of the cruises were congregated around this peninsula, but on other nights, I think they are more spread out around the Seven Seas Lagoon.

I would assume they have some way of wirelessly synking the Poly, Grand Floridian, contemporary, and boats together to the MK parade / fireworks PA system, not sure if its FM or not. I parked at TTC then took a short walk though poly to get there. A lot of the people around me appeared to be part of the College Program. On normal nights you get a view but no audio but any time they use the electrical light barges (july 4) you can hear it loud and clear (so can the boats anchored near by)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter