Tattoos?

While I respect individual viewpoints and acts it is not something that I care to do. There are many ways to express feelings or emotions - words, art, song - but I don't see how placing someone else's art on your body accomplishes that. It is somewhat like placing a bumper sticker on a car to express political beliefs. Not very original, difficult to get rid of, and unlikely that others really care.

ok I wasnt going to post this, but seeing as many of you are saying "oh what will it look like when I get older"

I have a bright red birthmark on my face, its called a Port Wine Stain. All my life Ive had to deal with the stares, the looks from people on the street, the pointing, the questions. Ive had no choice but to deal with how my face looks as I age and get older.

Part of the reason I got my first tattoo was a way of taking back control of my body, of CHOOSING to have a permanent mark on my body. I had no choice in how my face looks, but I can CHOOSE how my body looks. With my tattoos, I can choose who sees them, where they are on my body, what they look like. Having a facial birthmark I never had that option.

so the excuse of oh what will it look like when I am 80 is nonsense to me, because I have had no choice but to accept how my face looks, and to accept that to some people my birthmark is not an acceptable way to look.

and before you ask, no I do not use make up to cover my birthmark on a day to day basis. I have special corrective makeup call Dermablend which I use on nights out and special occasions only. I dont have a problem with how I look, its other people who have a problem with how I look. I dont feel the need to cover my birthmark to fit into how society says a woman should look.

My Wife and I both have visible,colorful,very well done tattoos. No really strong meanings, mostly decorative.

ok I wasnt going to post this, but seeing as many of you are saying "oh what will it look like when I get older"

I have a bright red birthmark on my face, its called a Port Wine Stain. All my life Ive had to deal with the stares, the looks from people on the street, the pointing, the questions. Ive had no choice but to deal with how my face looks as I age and get older.

Part of the reason I got my first tattoo was a way of taking back control of my body, of CHOOSING to have a permanent mark on my body. I had no choice in how my face looks, but I can CHOOSE how my body looks. With my tattoos, I can choose who sees them, where they are on my body, what they look like. Having a facial birthmark I never had that option.

so the excuse of oh what will it look like when I am 80 is nonsense to me, because I have had no choice but to accept how my face looks, and to accept that to some people my birthmark is not an acceptable way to look.

and before you ask, no I do not use make up to cover my birthmark on a day to day basis. I have special corrective makeup call Dermablend which I use on nights out and special occasions only. I dont have a problem with how I look, its other people who have a problem with how I look. I dont feel the need to cover my birthmark to fit into how society says a woman should look.

I wanted to ask if you have seen the movie Ready Player One? There is a character with a similar birthmark as yours, and the story gets into ideas about your idealized virtual avatar versus your true body. The character is a bit self-conscious about it, though I personally did not think it detracted from her appearance at all and my friends all agreed. I'm sorry that you have run into people who would criticize you over something like that.

I'll clarify my stance on tattoos in that I have sometimes seen ones I rather like, but the vast majority of them I find do not look good and suffer from poor placement. I was in Los Angeles last weekend, and I will say there is a general uptick in quality between the ones I see there versus the ones I see in my hometown, though there were still quite a few that I found questionable. Some of the Disney ones were pretty good though.

If I were to get one it would have to have significant meaning and in a place where it can be hidden.
I've always been surrounded by people with tattoos so I don't really have any issue with them, to each their own.

I wanted to ask if you have seen the movie Ready Player One? There is a character with a similar birthmark as yours, and the story gets into ideas about your idealized virtual avatar versus your true body. The character is a bit self-conscious about it, though I personally did not think it detracted from her appearance at all and my friends all agreed. I'm sorry that you have run into people who would criticize you over something like that.

No I havent seen the film but its on my to watch list, so thanks for the brief overview :)

I just posted about my birthmark, because some parts of society have this view that a body should be pure and unmarked, but they forget that some of have no choice

I have one, it’s hidden from public eyes. l even in a swimsuit. I like it. Hate that it was labeled t.s. way after I got it due to its position. Thought about getting it removed due to that label. It’s a small butterfly, no bigger than a 50 cent coin flying sideways. I’m a one and done. Don’t mind them on others. I made DH promise me to never get my name. I believe it’s a bad omen.

No I havent seen the film but its on my to watch list, so thanks for the brief overview :)

I just posted about my birthmark, because some parts of society have this view that a body should be pure and unmarked, but they forget that some of have no choice

Well, it's a minor part of the story so I hope it wasn't too spoilery. I thought you might find that interesting though. Apparently, that was specifically mentioned in the book as well in regards to this character, though I never read the book so I don't know how significant it was there.

I have a Disney based tattoo on my forearm. I never thought I'd get a tattoo but everything kind of lined up just right and here we are. I like it and am happy I had it done.

Tattoos are very common nowadays and I'd be surprised if anyone still bats an eye about it when they see a person with tattoo. I have one myself. I would get another if I came across something I wanted. DH has full sleeves so clearly I'm not bothered by tattoos on my significant other :thumbsup2

80yo skin, is 80 yo skin.
It's not so much what the skin looks like with or without a tat but what does the tat look like.

I personally live the idea of memorializing important events into some timeless keepsake. But as a medium for this the human skin is a horrible choice. Have a piece of jewelry or a painting commissioned and it's there forever. Jab the ink into your skin and it's a crapshoot what this pigments will look like down the road.

Im not one to dismiss another person's choice in expression, and I have seen plenty of really wonderful tattoos, but the vast majority of them appear as expressions of impetuousness. Personally, I think a visible scar tells me more about your strength of character than the talents of a needlegun artist. But then, your ink decision shouldn't be about what makes me happy.

I've never had a tattoo, never desired one, and think most of them look bad on skin (but I can appreciate the artwork of some of them).

If someone wants a tattoo, go for it, but I'll be honest, I do judge when I see one.

I'll clarify my stance on tattoos in that I have sometimes seen ones I rather like, but the vast majority of them I find do not look good and suffer from poor placement. I was in Los Angeles last weekend, and I will say there is a general uptick in quality between the ones I see there versus the ones I see in my hometown, though there were still quite a few that I found questionable. Some of the Disney ones were pretty good though.

Ours were done by a very talented artist, but you're right, there's a lot of questionable stuff out there. We are frequently approached by people saying 'Nice ink! Here's mine' and they show you something that looks like a prison scratcher did it.

I have two small tattoos, a flower and a Chinese symbol. They have no significance to me, I just liked them.

And I like watching Ink Masters on TV.

I just got my 2nd and 3rd ones on Sat. My first one is on one of my wrists and is 4 paw prints representing each of the dogs that I have had in my life. The ones I just got are a Disney one on my ankle with a Mickey and Minnie head and the other one is part of a Dave Matthews Band lyric on my other wrist that is important to me, especially after my mom passing away in Feb. I wanted to make sure that each one I got had meaning to me. I didn't want to get one just to get one.

One of the biggest issues with tattoos looking bad over time is people don't take care of them or get them touched up.

I love tattoos and have two- one on my ribs and one covering my inner bicep. Both of them have meaning but I’d also get one that I just liked as far as design. Part of me wants to do a half sleeve on that arm. I’d like to get a Disney tattoo just not sure what kind of design I would want for it.
When I’m 80 I’d hope my mindset would be enjoying family and being grateful for a good life and hopefully having fun with a bunch of grandkids :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter