Tattoos?

I like the way you put it, @Princess_Ariel_5. I too have a lot of scars so it will be nice to put something on my body that I chose to have there.

I have a small, smily sun on my left thigh. I put it there because I was told it wouldn’t hurt..it didn’t. That one was just chosen off the wall at the tattoo place and I did it as my act of rebellion..at the age of 19 LOL

This is what I want for my second one, on my right wrist. It’s the Capricorn sign, and I was born in ‘76 so it fits nice.

809F6455-C630-4F7F-9C5B-30236329DCC2.png

I don't care for them, far to many look trashy IMHO, but C'est la vie. I've told my two boys that while they live at home or I help support them I would frown upon them getting one, once they are financially independent and moved out then they can do as they please.

I was 40 before I got one (a matching one with my BFF of over 20 years) and my mom still gave me grief about it. DH was annoyed that I had one and he didn't so he went out and got one, too, lol.

I wanted to get something to represent my kids. A friend of mine is getting matching tattoos with each of her daughters - just something small and different for each girl. Now I think I might wait and do that (if my kids want to when they're grown).

I like what some posters have said about putting something by choice on your body (as opposed to scars). I have scars all along an arm and a leg from deep cuts due to an accident when I was kid. I can look at my tattoos as something pretty to attract attention instead of people just focusing on the ugly scars.

What are your thoughts on tattoos? I don’t have any but I’ve always admired tattoos with meaning and significance. I’ve been wanting one for about a year now. Recently, I decided I want to get the word “survivor” in my native language with the outline of a butterfly next to it on my forearm. It signifies me beating cancer and it’s something I really want to do. I have an awful scar on my neck from surgery for my cancer, so now I want something on my body that I like and want there. I want something I chose and something that makes me smile. Make sense?

My husband hates tattoos. He says they’re tacky and doesn’t want me to get one. I don’t think he’d be terribly angry if I got one, but I know he’d prefer if I didn’t.

What are your thoughts on tattoos and on significant others having them?

How about getting the tattoo and ditching your husband? ;)

Last edited:
I can't think of anything I want to be etched into my skin forever so I don't have one. I don't really care what other people do with their body and if my wife wanted a tattoo that had meaning for her I would support her even if I personally didn't like it. That was the kind of odd thing I took out of the OP.

ok I wasnt going to post this, but seeing as many of you are saying "oh what will it look like when I get older"

I have a bright red birthmark on my face, its called a Port Wine Stain. All my life Ive had to deal with the stares, the looks from people on the street, the pointing, the questions. Ive had no choice but to deal with how my face looks as I age and get older.

Part of the reason I got my first tattoo was a way of taking back control of my body, of CHOOSING to have a permanent mark on my body. I had no choice in how my face looks, but I can CHOOSE how my body looks. With my tattoos, I can choose who sees them, where they are on my body, what they look like. Having a facial birthmark I never had that option.

so the excuse of oh what will it look like when I am 80 is nonsense to me, because I have had no choice but to accept how my face looks, and to accept that to some people my birthmark is not an acceptable way to look.

and before you ask, no I do not use make up to cover my birthmark on a day to day basis. I have special corrective makeup call Dermablend which I use on nights out and special occasions only. I dont have a problem with how I look, its other people who have a problem with how I look. I dont feel the need to cover my birthmark to fit into how society says a woman should look.
BadPinkTink- I'm sorry that you've had to deal with this all your life. I wish people could be more accepting of others who might look different. My life changed just about two years ago when I had a portion of my lower eyelid removed because of skin cancer. I'm left with a wrinkly red skin graft about the size of a penny under my right eye. I actually did some research about getting a tattoo to hide the area. My husband thinks I'm crazy and that it would draw even more attention to my eye. Did you know they can tattoo your eyeball? I've also thought about getting my kids names or birth dates as tattoos, but I haven't committed to anything yet. I think you have a great attitude about life and I hope to someday get there too. One day at a time.

I'm a tattoo person as my husband. I have the ability hide all of mine if need be, but that was just my choice because I worry about my future career choices with visible work. I think it's a personal decision and you shouldn't let the judgement of others sway you one way or the other... BUT do know that you WILL be judged because of them.

Ours were done by a very talented artist, but you're right, there's a lot of questionable stuff out there. We are frequently approached by people saying 'Nice ink! Here's mine' and they show you something that looks like a prison scratcher did it.
Usually followed by, "How much did that cost you???......WOW...I'd never pay that much for a tattoo!"

I have to stop myself from saying something like, "Clearly." :rotfl:

I love a well done tattoo. I have 3 and my older brother is covered. My mom took each of us to get our first ones and she has 2 as well. My dad hates them. My fiancé has 3 and each of his family member has a couple too. The only time I don't like a tattoo or will judge someone on one they have is if it looks horribly done.

Have an ankle bracelet tattoo. Got it at 46. It has my DS's & DGD's initial. So a script G, A, P, & J. I added the E for DH after we were married 10 years.

Don't care if people think they are tacky - maybe because I don't have a stick...........

I have one on my foot and plan on getting another quite soon in honor of my father who passed just a few weeks ago. Tattoos are amazing pieces of artwork that happen to be permanent. And even though I have zero problems with tattoos, I do think people have different tattoo "styles." Like large, colorful tattoos aren't for me, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the significance or the amount of work and skill involved in creating it.

I have one on my foot and plan on getting another quite soon in honor of my father who passed just a few weeks ago. Tattoos are amazing pieces of artwork that happen to be permanent. And even though I have zero problems with tattoos, I do think people have different tattoo "styles." Like large, colorful tattoos aren't for me, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the significance or the amount of work and skill involved in creating it.
I'm sorry to hear about your father. My biggest (and best) one is a memorial piece for my father. It was very cathartic for me...

I'm a tattoo person as my husband. I have the ability hide all of mine if need be, but that was just my choice because I worry about my future career choices with visible work. I think it's a personal decision and you shouldn't let the judgement of others sway you one way or the other... BUT do know that you WILL be judged because of them.
We hire people with visible ink; it's no deterrent whatsoever if they are the appropriate candidate. BUT - they must agree to cover them at all times during working hours if they are in customer-facing roles. So are we judging them or not? :rolleyes1

I was probably influenced by my friends dad's who had them All got them while in the service. All got them while drunk. All wish they hadn't got them.
DD wanted on when she was in high school. Told her I could not control what she did after she turned 18. 2 friends got them when they turned 18. One had an allergic reaction to the ink, the other got an infection. That was 9 years ago, and was enough to turn her off tattoos.

I have no interest in getting one. For other people, most times, I think they look good/cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter