Tattoos?

Princess_Ariel_5

Mouseketeer
What are your thoughts on tattoos? I don’t have any but I’ve always admired tattoos with meaning and significance. I’ve been wanting one for about a year now. Recently, I decided I want to get the word “survivor” in my native language with the outline of a butterfly next to it on my forearm. It signifies me beating cancer and it’s something I really want to do. I have an awful scar on my neck from surgery for my cancer, so now I want something on my body that I like and want there. I want something I chose and something that makes me smile. Make sense?

My husband hates tattoos. He says they’re tacky and doesn’t want me to get one. I don’t think he’d be terribly angry if I got one, but I know he’d prefer if I didn’t.

What are your thoughts on tattoos and on significant others having them?

I don't care what other people do, but personally, I find them tacky. I would never get one myself. I always think about how it will look when I am an old lady, and it just seems so bizarre to think about that. My husband has thought about getting one, to symbolize his time as a Marine. But, he's not super serious about it. I wouldn't have a problem with it if he wanted to get one...I am very much in the "you do you" camp when it comes to body alterations on other people. I don't think it is anyone's right to tell someone else what to do with his/her own body.

My ex boyfriend told me that tattoos were a sin and he would break up with me if I got one. So I got a Mickey head on my ankle and then dumped him. :teeth: I have an anchor for my father who passed away and a yin yang tattoo with my sister. I'll probably have about 3 more in the next few years.

All my tattoos are hidden and I look like a very typical "southern nice girl" so it's quite humorous to see how people's faces change when I tell them I have tattoos. Lol.

I have 3 tattoos; they are all pretty meaningful. My husband doesn't have any but has no issues with mine.

All my tattoos are hidden and I look like a very typical "southern nice girl" so it's quite humorous to see how people's faces change when I tell them I have tattoos. Lol.

Mine are visible depending on what I'm wearing (professional clothes cover them easily, sundresses not so much) and sometimes people can see them and don't recognize that I have tattoos. It's weird.

There's nothing I've felt strongly enough about to imprint on my body forever, but I don't have anything against them and think they can be nice when they have significance. Like if I were an Olympian I would definitely get a tattoo of the Olympic rings. I say if you want it and you've thought about it for a long time, go for it.

I'm with Ashley above - I love the art of them, but don't like them on people's bodies. And I realize that this is only my opinion and preference and there are millions of people who think the opposite. I'm totally respectful of that.

I will never get one, not only for the above reason, but also because, although I am OK with giving blood or getting a shot, I am NOT ok with procedures that cut my skin or hurting myself over and over again on purpose. lol

My DH declined to get one when all of his brothers went out together one time and got them, so I know he doesn't want on at all. I wouldn't have really cared if he did - his body, his choice - and I don't think he would really care if I got one. Neither of us are "tons of tattoos all up and down our bodies" type of people, so IF one of us got one, it would probably be very, very small and have significance. And honestly, if DH were to get one and it was the right tattoo, in the right place, I might even find it a little....well, you know :rolleyes1

Last edited:
I have considered getting a butterfly also in blue/teal/purple for thyroid cancer survivors. If I were you though I would discuss it further with your husband. Even though this was a very personal journey of yours, you need to be sure he’s ok with it.

:crazy2: To my taste they're ugly; same with facial piercings. Neither DH or I have any. Our DS has started custom designing them for others so I imagine it's only a matter of time until he gets one - if he hasn't already. We had a "rule" that he not get one until he was of-age, but now that he is, it's his decision.

I personally have no desire to get one. Other people do, and that's fine, but I will say I generally find them to be unattractive, though occasionally I will see a nice one. Most of the time I wonder what that person was thinking in regards to design and placement. To each their own of course, though I do think people should give it a lot of thought before getting something permanently applied to their body.

We don’t have any and I would be shocked if my husband ever got one. So far my kids are not interested in them either.

I have 5 medium sized tattoos, on my back and the tops of my arms. My tattoos are very personal and each design is linked to a time and place in my life. Due to the personal nature of the designs, I rarely have them uncovered. I got my first one about 15 years ago and even now, some members of my family dont know I have tattoos.

Tattoos still have a stigma and a negative connotation in alot of conservative / religious western societies. They are seen as something which less educated, low income people have.

Tattoos are a form of art. They are one of the few things created which no one can take from you unless you choose to remove them. They are also sometimes far more deeper reasons that people get tattoos.

Tattoos can help with the healing of emotional pain such as grief.

For some it can be a way of taking back control of their body after a serious illness.

Everyone has a different reason for getting a tattoo

I dislike them personally, and would never get one - the thought of having something written on my skin skeeves me out.

My DH has two of them from before we met - one on the side of one ankle and the other around his other ankle. They are small and I don't find them objectionable.

I went back and forth for years about whether to get one. Once I finally decided that I did in fact want one, then I had to decide what I wanted and whether I thought I could handle the pain/needle aspect of it.
10 days ago I went and got my tattoo :). I know they aren’t for everyone and that’s ok.

I don't have any and like a PP I can't think of anything I want on my body for the rest of my life. I also think about what it would look like when I'm 80.

I don't mind them at all though sure it's a bit starling when someone does it to their face. My mom has a butterfly on her ankle. My grandfather had the Marine bulldog on his arm. Another person I know has the Marine eagle on his back. An ex-boyfriend has multiple one. I've wanted one for years but didn't know where I would put it plus..I think I would chicken out on the pain lol. My husband's family is less ok with tattoos compared to my family.

Never had any desire personally, maybe as a result of a of couple friends who got them at 18 and later regretted them (one even never again went into a pool without a shirt on!). But I know many who love them and have no regrets whatsoever. It sounds like this is something very meaningful for you to do, and hopefully your husband will be on board if he realizes how important this is to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter