talk to me about boarding in Barcelona

Looks like Vancouver. After sailing out of PC, anything else seems like a letdown.

More open than Vancouver.

Barcelona

Warehouse style.
One ship one terminal.
Open.
Up escalator and over gangway to atrium.
Fast efficient, well run.
PAT later than PC.
Loads of space in coach and taxi park.
Loads of space for luggage claim.
In 5 am.
Some disney touches as an exclusive terminal.

Vancouver

Under the hotel.
Maybe 2/3 cruises sharing.
Formal USA Border control.
Very limited seating.
Felt enclosed and small.
Queue for taxis, limited space.
PAT later than PC
Roll call disembarkation and limited luggage pick up, unless express walk off.
In circa 7 am.
Limited Disney touches as shared terminal.

Last edited:
Overall it was very easy logistically. We stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar which is one of the Disney sponsored hotels though we booked it independently. They offer a pre cruise tour with drop off but we opted for a cab. Cost about 25 EUR. Check in was smooth just like at PC with the same boarding time. There are a couple of shops including one that sold wine, soda and water to take on board. It was hot from what o recall.

Leaving the ship was easy, they use the same building, No passport control since we stayed in the EU. Taxis were plentiful and were 39 EUR to airport

Can anyone give us any information about the shuttle at all? We're cheapskates and so would like to not use a taxi if at all possible.

Can anyone give us any information about the shuttle at all? We're cheapskates and so would like to not use a taxi if at all possible.
Depends on how many in your party, but for us, a taxi is much cheaper than DCL transport. DCL is $30/pp each way from airport, and a taxi is $39. For our family of 4, the taxi is way cheaper. For 2 people, might not make much difference.

Depends on how many in your party, but for us, a taxi is much cheaper than DCL transport. DCL is $30/pp each way from airport, and a taxi is $39. For our family of 4, the taxi is way cheaper. For 2 people, might not make much difference.

Thanks, but I meant the shuttle an earlier poster mentioned that ran from the dock to the Christopher Columbus statue. Anyone know how regularly it runs?

Another option is to schedule a tour for the morning. We've booked a tour with Barcelona Day Tours. They will pick us and our luggage up, take us sightseeing and drop us off at the port at lunchtime. Transportation done and some sightseeing too!

We used Barcelona Day Tours for a full day of touring before the WBTA last September. We went with a group tour and were the first pick up. They were on time and very efficient. We did not use them for airport-hotel or hotel-port.

I have booked an airport transfer with Sun transfers, they give options on vehicles and prices and meet and greet.
Just as you had an inadequate experience with Barcelona Day Tours, we had one with Sun Tranfers from BCN to our hotel last September. They had our flight information, we landed on time, and yet we still waited for our driver somewhere between 30-45 minutes in the designated pick up area. We were pretty much the last people in the area waiting for a ride. We almost left and grabbed a taxi, but I didn't want to deal with the possibility of being charged for a service we did not receive.

We used the shuttle. It's really efficient and easy to use. The only thing that surprised us (given the buses state the are the cruise terminal shuttle, so they aren't used for anything else), is they don't have any luggage space! So our bus filled up really quickly with all the luggage in the hallway. It will stop at all the terminals that have a ship that day, but our driver asked us which ship we were taking and told us it was the first stop

Agree they didn't seem great, more like airport buses from planes without gates.

Taxis are cheap, well regulated, air conditioned , and far better.

Last June we went to Alaska out of Vancouver and that place is a zoo. There can be three cruise ships boarding at once from the same terminal. Yikes!

Whew! Do I ever agree with this!!! I have sailed out and into Vancouver on the Wonder for an Alaskan cruise and into Vancouver from Hawaii, same ship. (Love the Wonder!) It is a very, very pretty port and Vancouver is lovely to be sure, but I thought checking and going through Customs was an utter nightmare. Truly herded through like cattle. Sure made me appreciate Port Canaveral more and more! :cutie:

Good input to know about Barcelona for my future cruises! Thank you all, and Bon Voyage, CanuckonaBoat!!

I never said it wasn't great :P I'd use the bus again if we'd leave from Barcelona again

I agreed with most! Lack of luggage space!

Personally I would use them only as taxis are so freely available and regulated.

The shuttle doesn't get you far, only one hotel near its end.

I agreed with most! Lack of luggage space!

Personally I would use them only as taxis are so freely available and regulated.

The shuttle doesn't get you far, only one hotel near its end.

But there is a station nearby, so it's convenient for that. Can you get a taxi to the port for €6? If not then the shuttle sounds good to me. I'll already have a t10 for the journey to the statue.

But there is a station nearby, so it's convenient for that. Can you get a taxi to the port for €6? If not then the shuttle sounds good to me. I'll already have a t10 for the journey to the statue.
My thoughts, it's extremely hot, you have cruise luggage, you want to save a few euros, by the port transfer bus, then walk to Drassanes subway station, go down with cruise luggage, get on the train, go to the subway station near your hotel in a crowded subway train, get off, go up the stairs out, and walk to the hotel.

Or get a cheap regulated city taxi.

Yes I have walked from my hotel area Placa Cataluna to the port, but wouldn't consider it with the heat and cruise luggage, when spent $$$$$$ on a cruise.

That's my thinking. On a map may look simple.

My thoughts, it's extremely hot, you have cruise luggage, you want to save a few euros, by the port transfer bus, then walk to Drassanes subway station, go down with cruise luggage, get on the train, go to the subway station near your hotel in a crowded subway train, get off, go up the stairs out, and walk to the hotel.

Or get a cheap regulated city taxi.

Yes I have walked from my hotel area Placa Cataluna to the port, but wouldn't consider it with the heat and cruise luggage, when spent $$$$$$ on a cruise.

That's my thinking. On a map may look simple.

I think we just have different styles of traveling.
And that's just fine :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter