talk to me about boarding in Barcelona

CanuckOnaBoat

Mouseketeer
Hi! I have only ever boarded in Vancouver.

Can you tell me a little about the port in Barcelona, the terminal, the process etc...? Thanks!

When we boarded in Barcelona, I thought it was even more organized than leaving out of Port Canaveral. We pulled up in a taxi, the porters grabbed our bags and pointed us in the direction of check in. Once we checked in, we waited in a more warehouse looking place with folding chairs but they had a good bit of Disney stuff hanging up. Captain Mickey came out for photos. Super easy—one of the reasons we love DCL.

I've taken two DCL out of Barcelona and they both seem to run very smooth. The flow of cars, taxis and buses ran smooth with no long waits and the check-in process seemed a little better than at Port Canaveral.

Agree with the above comments - very easy boarding process. As mentioned, it's an open, warehouse type location but boarding and everything else went smoothly.

Heather

Hi! I have only ever boarded in Vancouver.

Can you tell me a little about the port in Barcelona, the terminal, the process etc...? Thanks!

We must be living the same cruise life! I'll be boarding in Barcelona for the first time in May.

Reviving this - What time does the port open? We need to set times for our transfers.
Strictly 10.30 am.
You wait outside in the heat, there is a roof over the waiting area.

IMG_6009.JPG

Over the years the terminal has improved. When I first used it you walked on from dockside to deck 2, then they built a gangway, so now like port Canaveral you enter on deck 3 atrium.

The process is very good, fast and slick, the terminal is more like an open warehouse in design a reasonable amount of seating and embarkation typically starts at 11.30.

You have to go up from the terminal then accross the bridge.

I would say on efficiency. ( on my cruises). Best to worst.
Port Canaveral.
Los Angeles.
Barcelona.
Dover.
Vancouver.
Copenhagen.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago we boarded in Barcelona for a Med. DCL cruise. Being the last Med. cruise of the season, we combined it B2B with a WBTA, which also departed from Barcelona. First experience was very easy and we were on the ship in, at most, 45 minutes. We planned to see more of the city during our switchover day (La Rambla), so we got off at about 8:30 and came back around noon. Reentering was even easier and super fast. One thing to remember, the distance from the Chris Columbus statue to the ship is quite a hike, especially with luggage. Catch the shuttle or take a cab. Do plan to take some time to see that remarkable city. Gaudi and Picasso left their marks and will add to your memories.
Last June we went to Alaska out of Vancouver and that place is a zoo. There can be three cruise ships boarding at once from the same terminal. Yikes! Barcelona is just about as easy as Port Canaveral.

Hi, all. We're on the first Barcelona sailing in May. We're staying in a "non-Disney" hotel in the Gothic Quarter. Is taxi our best choice to get to the port from our hotel? Any guesses on the cost? Thanks in advance!

Hi, all. We're on the first Barcelona sailing in May. We're staying in a "non-Disney" hotel in the Gothic Quarter. Is taxi our best choice to get to the port from our hotel? Any guesses on the cost? Thanks in advance!
The regulated city, yellow and black taxis are best, very quick, say 15/20 Euros depending on location and size of taxi.

Another option is to schedule a tour for the morning. We've booked a tour with Barcelona Day Tours. They will pick us and our luggage up, take us sightseeing and drop us off at the port at lunchtime. Transportation done and some sightseeing too!

Another option is to schedule a tour for the morning. We've booked a tour with Barcelona Day Tours. They will pick us and our luggage up, take us sightseeing and drop us off at the port at lunchtime. Transportation done and some sightseeing too!

I do not want to concern you, but I booked with them, 3 trips,
1/ Airport to hotel, - fine.
2/ Hotel to port, failed to show, called, told I was late, wasn't, then told he was there, wasn't, then a new car sent and was late.
3/ Post cruise tour due 8.30 am turned up 9.30 am.

Advise, just before going, reconfirm everything and eta times.
I will not use them again, booked with someone else.

I do not want to concern you, but I booked with them, 3 trips,
1/ Airport to hotel, - fine.
2/ Hotel to port, failed to show, called, told I was late, wasn't, then told he was there, wasn't, then a new car sent and was late.
3/ Post cruise tour due 8.30 am turned up 9.30 am.

Advise, just before going, reconfirm everything and eta times.
I will not use them again, booked with someone else.

Wow we used them in 2013 for airport to hotel, next day a 4-hr city tour, then post cruise port to airport and they were fine. Our hotel offered hotel-port transfers for less $ so we signed up for that. We had no problems.
That would really stress me out to be standing around for an hour at the port. We had a 10:45 flight home. We waited maybe 5-10 mins outside. That was hard enough.
Who is the someone else that you booked with?

Wow we used them in 2013 for airport to hotel, next day a 4-hr city tour, then post cruise port to airport and they were fine. Our hotel offered hotel-port transfers for less $ so we signed up for that. We had no problems.
That would really stress me out to be standing around for an hour at the port. We had a 10:45 flight home. We waited maybe 5-10 mins outside. That was hard enough.
Who is the someone else that you booked with?
I had used BDT in prior years without issues, so was surprised and concerned when they let me down twice. This was more recent than 2013. Maybe an off driver. Our BDT tour was good, but pick up very late and so time visiting was cut down.
We had some refunds, anything can go wrong, but the main thing to me was being lied to that at the start it was our fault, but we were at the correct place well before the meeting time. Then they change the explanation to he was late, then he forgot, then another driver.
I have booked an airport transfer with Sun transfers, they give options on vehicles and prices and meet and greet.
There are other taxis, taxi tours, and chauffeur services, I was googling yesterday, however city regulated taxis are very good there.

We haven't traveled yet, but we booked our transfers through Barcelona welcome pickups. The tacos are supposed to be great, but European taxis are mostly small and we are a party of 4 with luggage. We liked having the option to reserve a larger vehicle.

https://www.welcomepickups.com/barcelona/

ETA - I'm leaving tacos there because that is one of the funniest autocorrect experiences I've had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!