Take the DIS WISH challenge here

Terrified of starting this process. I am the person that doesn't set a goal without knowing I can achieve it. I'm not sure I can do this but I'm trying to tell myself "Baby Steps". I am 5'4" and 170lbs, two children (DD6,DS5), and I am in nursing school.

I'm not sure how I am going to fit in time to exercise so my first goal is to improve my nutrition.

You can do it! One good thing to remember is you didn't get there in one day, you won't get back in one day either. I tell myself that a lot.

Set a goal you know you can achieve. Focusing on your nutrition is a great start. And it's easy to do.
Goal one can be swapping an unhealthy food choice for a good one. Soda for water. Potato chips for kale chips. Fries for veggies.
I'd also get a few basic kitchen necessities. Measuring cups, measuring spoons and a food scale. These will become your new best friends, I promise.

A great place to go is MyFitnessPal.com you can register for free on the website and they have an app. You set an x amount of pounds per week weight loss goal, plug in your numbers and it will tell you how many calories a day you need to eat. They have a huge data base with foods in it. And a database for exercise. You can also build recipes so if it's something you make regularly you have that info on hand. You can also add your favorite restaurant foods. And if they don't have a particular item and you have the nutrition info, you can add it to the database.
There are quite a few DISers on MFP, me included. If you join and want a friend feel free to add me, same username as here. It's a great tool for understanding serving sizes and calories.

Also join our monthly challenges here too. We have wonderful members in all stages of their journeys. It's great to have a support system in place.

Good luck!!! I know you can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

Hi! I'd love to join in on the challenge.

I've been overweight all of my life, to varying degrees. I was really large in High School, then started exercising and doing Slim For Life during college and dropped down nearly 45 pounds. I kept the weight off after college while working on my feet at Target for a year.

Then I went back to school... and the weight all came back on, and then some. I was feeling super miserable and uncomfortable in my own body. After graduating I started working at a desk job. I still was not getting enough exercise.

Then, I weighed myself last month and saw the highest number of my life. And, one I had promised myself never to reach. I knew I had to do something.

My wedding is coming up in October and I want to look and feel great. Plus, I want to feel awesome on our Disney honeymoon. It would be an added bonus that I'll look better in all our pictures.

So, with that being said, I've started watching what I eat and not eating out nearly as often. When we do go out, I try to pick something that is better for me and not a big greasy burger. My fiance and I also started walking every evening. At the beginning of this week I decided to step things up and added in the Couch to 5k program to our routine. The first week was a bit killer, but I'm feeling better today, and the trek was easier on me than the two times before.

I'm logging everything on MFP and would love to have a community I can come to for support on those days when things aren't feeling as easy, or when I'm super proud and need to share my victory.

I would love to find that support here. Thanks. :)

I am definitely in!

A little background- Growing up I was always thin, even in high school. When I graduated I was a size 9 (juniors). Since then, I have had 3 children, and gained over 100 lbs. I am now in a size 18/20. :( I love food, especially sweets. I know I am setting a bad example for my kids when they ask "What's for dessert?" after every meal. They are all perfect, weight-wise, but that could go downhill very fast. My dad passed away in 2009 from heart disease caused by high blood pressure at the age of 52. His weight was a factor in that.

My goals-
To eat healthier is my main goal. I want to set a better example for my kids.

I also have a goal to lose 80 lbs by my WDW trip, which is April 2014.

My brother has lost 40 lbs recently using Herbalife, so I am going to do 1 meal replacement with one of their shakes (he does two a day, but I can't drink all my meals!).

I also want to get walking, so that I am completely comfortable walking 8 miles a day. Considering that right now I can barely walk 1 mile, this is probably my biggest goal.

Had to stop by this thread since I hadn't in awhile and say that I've met my goal:) Started earlier this year at 136, as I'd been slipping into old habits since my past Disney trip in 2011. Back to eating better and it feels great. Original goal was 125 but stepped on the scale yesterday and was surprised it was 122. And guys- NO starvation involved. Three meals a day, especially breakfast! I've eaten a little junk too along the way, the key is simply moderation.

So thanks again to the boards for helping me out. Guess I'd like to be 120 for my trip, almost there. After that, will just look to maintain. Oh and PS- first time I ever posted in this thread in 2009, I was 153. I've come a long way since then and the am thrilled! :D

Great Job!! :banana:

I am definitely in!

A little background- Growing up I was always thin, even in high school. When I graduated I was a size 9 (juniors). Since then, I have had 3 children, and gained over 100 lbs. I am now in a size 18/20. :( I love food, especially sweets. I know I am setting a bad example

for my kids when they ask "What's for dessert?" after every meal. They are all perfect, weight-wise, but that could go downhill very fast. My dad passed away in 2009 from heart disease caused by high blood pressure at the age of 52. His weight was a factor in that.

My goals-
To eat healthier is my main goal. I want to set a better example for my kids.

I also have a goal to lose 80 lbs by my WDW trip, which is April 2014.

My brother has lost 40 lbs recently using Herbalife, so I am going to do 1 meal replacement with one of their shakes (he does two a day, but I can't drink all my meals!).

I also want to get walking, so that I am completely comfortable walking 8 miles a day. Considering that right now I can barely walk 1 mile, this is probably my biggest goal.

Each journey begins with a step. Start with a couple of blocks and build up from there. Get the kids to go with you. Sounds like you are on the right track. :goodvibes

About me - Always a bit overweight, but athletic. I've never been able to lose weight (even running marathons...), but I've maintained from high school (soon to be 30 in Feb). Now, with some med issues and new rx, plus lack of exercise, this past 1.5 years I've steadily increased from around 154 to 167, size 8/10 to 10/12. My clothes are starting to not fit, dresses especially. It's frustrating and miserable, but probably just what I need as I have no intention of buying a whole new wardrobe to accommodate this new size... :)

Now, my health is in check and I can see a goal. We're planning a Disney trip in January and I'd like to enjoy looking at our pictures when we come home! Even sooner is a wedding abroad with friends that knew me -15lb ago. More pictures that I would like to enjoy... :)

I've started running again and am keeping it low key for now with the C25k app, and some stairs near my apartment. Nutrition is alright as long as I stay away from late night eating...with a new husband, I've just been noticing this! Sure, we're eating healthy, but it's a whole 4th meal...at 11pm... :rolleyes:

Might as well just say it now - My goal is to be back to my normal weight range by the wedding in mid-October and further along by Disney. I've never been able to break the 149 invisible barrier, so anything beyond that is where I'd like to be :)

Hey y'all! I'm Amanda! I'm anxious to get in on this.

I've been chubby since middle school...not fat but thick. I equate it to lack of nutrition at home and no emphasis on physical activity.

I went through nursing school out of high school and that packed on a few more pounds, then I got married and had a baby...all while moving 3 times in the past 4 years. STRESSFUL. I've gained weight like crazy and weigh more than the day I delivered my kiddo.

I'm currently 5'7 and 230. I'd like to make my first goal to be about 175. I'd also LOVE to run in the TB 1/2 or the Princess 1/2. LOVE.

I'm a beginner (VERY BEGINNER) runner. I need to eat out less and cut out soda.

I look forward to getting to know y'all.

Hello!! My name is Jessica I am 31 years old and I am a Pooh Sized, All Things Disney Lover. I am in the worst shape of my life, and have tried different "diets" in the past and I have lost weight, but then I would gain the weight back. I want to try a different method. My overall goal is to be healthy. One of my biggest passions in life is Disney, and I am going to use my next Disney trip as my motivation. On my last trip, I had a difficult time walking, and it really ruined the trip for me. I was also tired of looking at all the cute Disney clothing and nothing fit me. I decided then that the next time I visited the world I wanted to be able to walk and enjoy my trip. So far the only goals I have is to Drink a lot of Water everyday, Focus on eating healthier foods, and creating a exercise habit. I'm ready for the Challenge!!!!

Hello!! My name is Jessica I am 31 years old and I am a Pooh Sized, All Things Disney Lover. I am in the worst shape of my life, and have tried different "diets" in the past and I have lost weight, but then I would gain the weight back. I want to try a different method. My overall goal is to be healthy. One of my biggest passions in life is Disney, and I am going to use my next Disney trip as my motivation. On my last trip, I had a difficult time walking, and it really ruined the trip for me. I was also tired of looking at all the cute Disney clothing and nothing fit me. I decided then that the next time I visited the world I wanted to be able to walk and enjoy my trip. So far the only goals I have is to Drink a lot of Water everyday, Focus on eating healthier foods, and creating a exercise habit. I'm ready for the Challenge!!!!

I'm a little late on this! How are you doing? I have taken a couple of DL trips since losing weight and it makes a huge difference! Things you didn't realize were more difficult, are so much easier!

I have struggled with my weight since high school. I have watched the scale climb and fall. I have tried every whacky diet ever created and failed at them all. In Jan of 2012 I saw the scale hit a number I never thought I would see and was mortified, but was not ready to stage my own intervention. In March I decided to make some changes and signed up to do a 5K, and then did one every month for the remainder of the year. I did the Peachtree which is a 10K in July of that year. The weight started to come off, but still was not really controlling my intake of food. I suffered the I am running there for I can eat whatever I want philosophy, so my weight loss was hit or miss and often stalled. I did my 1st 1/2 marathon in March of this year and then took a 2 month hiatus from running and struggled to complete my 2nd Peachtree in July. I am a huge fan of Pinterest and saw a quote right after my Peachtree debacle that said "Here is a weight loss secret-there is no secret Stop eating garbage and get off your booty!"
Well for whatever reason this finally kinda hit home. I continued to run and have my first full marathon at the end of this month. I have added biking to help give my knees a rest on some days.
I dropped about 20 lbs last year when I started running, but really did not see any really weight lost until 4 months ago when I really started paying attention to everything that goes into my mouth. I try not to restrict foods, but just really pay attention to the quantity I intake. Thanks to the LoseIt app I am down a total of 50 lbs as of yesterday :woohoo:! I have not seen this weight since my first years of college which was very long ago! I still have about 40 or so lbs I would like to lose. I am so glad I can share this with like minded people and look forward to following everyone's progress!

Hi everyone! Happy to have found this forum, thanks to a mention from the DIS Disneyland podcast when discussing healthy food options at DL & DCA. I'm going to DL/DCA for the first time in just a little over 6 weeks, I can't wait!

About me - I feel like I've always struggled with my weight, but it got out of control about 12 years ago. I'm now insulin resistant, and I don't want to develop Type 2 diabetes. I've had some success with weight loss, losing 25 pounds in 2009 and again last year, but unfortunately I put most of that weight back on. So now I'm back at it. I've lost 6 pounds in the last 2.5 weeks, so I'm thrilled about that.

I'm currently at 239.6 - yes, that 0.6 of a pound is very important if it puts me in the 230s! ;) My first goal is 229 by Thanksgiving - that's the day I fly to Los Angeles to visit my brother, and then we're going to DL/DCA one day the following week.

My second goal is to be below 200 pounds by April 2014. This is a lofty goal. I haven't been below 200 pounds since 2000. I've been thinking of a big reward for this milestone, and I think it just might be a trip to WDW! I'm still playing around with that idea, and it may have to be a solo trip if I can't talk any friends into going again (some of us went last November).

After I see 199 on the scale, I'll break down my goals into smaller increments, with my overall goal being 150.

Right now, I'm doing various exercise DVDs - I love Jillian Michaels workouts! Tough but very rewarding! I like going to the occasional Zumba class. I love power walking in the park or on the streets here in NYC. I tried tonight the C25K app, but when I tried it last year for a week, the jogging really hurt my knee, so I don't want a repeat of that.

Looking forward to exploring this forum and getting to know everyone and cheer everyone on! :thumbsup2

Hi my name is Carol Lyn. I joined the board last year but I am only now really getting to read all the threads. I may never catch up because every thread is more interesting than the one before! I would LOVE to join in on this! I started losing last summer when I hit my top weight of 272. My starting weight for this journey is 222. I still have a long way to go but I will get there. I would like to lose about another 50 lbs but more than that is is my goal to do the 2015 Princess Half. I only recently really started running but I am determined to make it....biggest issue will be the cost, I will make it happen though!

Anyway, my current plan is better food choices and a combination of running days and cardio days which consist of hip hop abs, circuit workouts and kettle bell workouts.

I look forward to meeting others!

lovethesurf, congrats on the 50-pound loss - that is so impressive! Best of luck to you as you train for the Princess Half-Marathon. I've attempted the C25K, but I just don't think I'm a runner - it tears my body up too much, and then I can't walk, much less work out. I applaud those who can do it. I'll stick to power walking and cardio dance for now. :)

Thanks, it's frustrating at times because I seem to get stuck right where I am now but I am pushing through. I have about another 50 left to get here I want to be.

As far as running goes, I think I have lost my mind. I was always that person who said if I am running call someone cause I am being chased, lol. I am really starting to enjoy it now and I am DETERMINED to see those Princesses!

I am rhythmically challenged so those 'dance' workouts don't work so well for me. Lol

Subscribing! Just completed the first day of a 24-Day Challenge. Looking to get in better shape to run the Princess Half Marathon!

I want to join in! DH and I started our weightloss program this past June. We are using MyFitnessPal to keep track of our calories and trying to be more active. Since June, I have lost 36.6 pounds!

I am so in.

I'm on a mission to lose around 70 lbs. over the next year or two. I am counting calories with the help of the myfitnesspal (newteapot74 if you want to join me there) and mapmywalk apps. I'm taking a "baby steps" approach, because I don't want to give up halfway through (as I am wont to do).

I just decided I wanted to feel better, so I'm making it happen!

Let's go!

:wave2:

Hi there! I have been lurking for several weeks but have finally registered and starting to post! I am a Lifetime Weight Watchers member but have long ago been at my goal. I am planning an October 2014 trip to WDW with DS8 and would like to shed about 50lbs before going. I plan to lace on a pair of shoes and get back to walking. I work on the 8th floor and love taking the stairs...just going to start adding a few more trips during my required breaks. Looking forward to starting the November challenge and sharing in all of your successes!

I'm in! I'm hoping to shed some weight before our May 2014 trip. Down 8 pounds so far using MyFitnessPal. If you'd like to add me, I'm jsmith060504.

I'm taking the WISH challenge!
My goal is to lose weight and be more toned. I'm not so concerned about the scale because muscle weighs more than fat. I want to be in a smaller jean size.

I'm going to drink more water, eat less processed foods, eat more vegetables, and exercise (Jillian Michaels weightloss DVD) in the mornings so nothing can get in the way of not exercising.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter