Swine Flu - General Discussion and how it affects Disney

You all do know that they are saying this is no stronger than the standard flu bug that goes around every year?

They took the story off the main page of foxnews.com and there is a blurb on cnn.com saying that CDC folks are not concerned about this being a pandemic problem any longer.

Just wanted to bring that to everyone's attention.

Been at WDW for a week now and I've only seen one couple with masks. She was wearing hers properly and he had his down around his neck. That was at the Marketplace.

You all do know that they are saying this is no stronger than the standard flu bug that goes around every year?

They took the story off the main page of foxnews.com and there is a blurb on cnn.com saying that CDC folks are not concerned about this being a pandemic problem any longer.

Just wanted to bring that to everyone's attention.

Yeah I noticed I had to hunt around for the update this morning on CNN. It looks like they are now just focusing on getting the vaccine ready for the Fall. I'm guessing they're starting to see evidence that it will wind down during the Summer months, and want to be ready in case it resurfaces later this year.

I'm sure we'll still see cases all Summer, though, as people still do get the regular Flu in July! All that being said, though, "overhyped," or not, I think all of the government agencies and leaders around the World did a great job at battling this and getting people prepared. Unfortunately the State doesn't control the media in the US, so they were free to drum up fear as they saw fit.

17 days until my trip!!!

We were at MK yesterday and no one is wearing masks. I did see people using hand sanitizer after rides but even that was only a few. People seem to be going about business as usual. I didn't see any cast members using hand sanitizer at all. They were all still giving 5's and things to kids as usual.

I just read an article from Time magazine that looked at one of the survivors from Mexico. The guy shared a room with a woman who ultimately died, but I thought this was interesting since people are wondering about the deaths in Mexico:

Once they had identified swine flu on April 23, Mexican health authorities rushed anti-virals to hospitals and found they were very effective. But many who had started suffering before had already developed severe pneumonia; and for some, it was too late to be saved. The errors in treatment in the first weeks of the outbreak do much to explain the higher death rate in Mexico than the United States.

It really seems that it was one of those things where the people weren't treated in time, and started to suffer from the same things that kill people who have the regular flu (pneumonia, etc.). Very sad, but it underscores the fact that the healthcare in Mexico is definitely less than what we have in America.

It really seems that it was one of those things where the people weren't treated in time, and started to suffer from the same things that kill people who have the regular flu (pneumonia, etc.). Very sad, but it underscores the fact that the healthcare in Mexico is definitely less than what we have in America.

I guess my only question would be why now, and why this flu? I mean, we don't get reports like this every year from Mexico. :confused3

The CDC briefing is on CNN right now.

They are recommending that all schools open back up. :teacher:

The severity index on the flu is not high enough to keep them closed! :woohoo:

So...that is GREAT news! :banana: :banana: :banana:

3. There were 17 new cases reported in Ontario today, 4 of which are in my city alone! I live in a medium sized city with 300,000 people, so that is a lot.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. In a city that size, you could have hundreds or thousands of people catch the "normal" seasonal flu during flu season. And this flu is no more virulent.

Hurray!!!!! :woohoo::woohoo:

School in next country just announced it is reopening effective tomorrow.

I guess my only question would be why now, and why this flu? I mean, we don't get reports like this every year from Mexico. :confused3

Sadly, it happens every year, but we don't hear about because it's not news for people to die of treatable illnesses in countries with sub-standard health care systems. Stuff like this only makes the US news when there's a fear that WE may be at risk.

Great news. Surprises me though.......according, to the BBC the US and Canada really don't seem to have a hold on this. I will see if I can find the quote. Will be so pleased if that has changed for you all now.

This was the only one I could find:

"However, Dr Anne Schuchat from the CDC told reporters the virus was now probably circulating across the US. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8031761.stm

I think the decision to reopen the schools has more to do with the "mildness" of the strain, as opposed to the spread of the virus. As well as the fact that there was a lot of confusion over when to close the schools.

I think it is just that the cases are mild. Too mild to actually close the schools. There will be many, many cases and more than they can count, actually (they have said that)...and it will continue to spread...but they are just going to close the schools if there are a bunch of kids out with it or something.

I think they were finding that there were kids getting dropped off by themselves at libraries and malls and the risk was greater to the health of the kids by closing the schools than just letting them stay open.

I still believe the cases will grow, probably exponentially.

I believe we will have "serious" cases every now and then.

and I think...before the end of this week...they will raise it to a 6 - but that is completely my guess!

I have been following this thread and am embarrassed to say I have read every. single. post! I love that I can read all the links that everyone has posted and get facts from all over the world. I tend toward being a germaphobe and as this has progressed I am feeling better! My son has a comprimised immune system, though, so I do have to be extra careful- even of "regular" flu.

As far as the **LYSOL** in the checked bag- we just got back from WDW and I had the same question. I had read online that you can put it into a checked bag and also that you cannot so I called the airline. They said it is not allowed. I decided tat I was going to give it a try anyway and that if they didn't want it to go through they would take it out. I had NO problems on the way there or the way back! No questions whatsoever. Good luck!

My only real concern with this H1N1 thing is with my dh's work. A co-worker whom he works closely with daily is taking a vacation to Mexico within the next few weeks! They considered cancelling and then decided against it. :scared1: I am worried about him bringing the virus back here and having our ds exposed through my dh. I am really not sure how I feel about this!!

As I type this CNN is saying that another Texas resident has died.

I think the decision to reopen the schools has more to do with the "mildness" of the strain, as opposed to the spread of the virus. As well as the fact that there was a lot of confusion over when to close the schools.

Makes sense. This is another quote from the BBC (sorry...another one!)

"It is too early to assume the swine flu outbreak is a mild infection just because no-one in the UK has died, England's chief medical officer says. "

Have just checked this out. Apparently a lady from Cameron County on the US/Mexico border has just died. She had other chronic health problems. They were probably respiratory disorders eg emphysema, COPD and this was probably the final straw for her. They did warn this sort of thing would happen.

Yeah I just saw it on FoxNews. This is what they are reporting:

Few details have been released, but officials say the flu victim was a woman who lived in Cameron County, along the U.S.-Mexico border, and had other, chronic health problems.

Very sad that another person died. However, the CDC expected more people to die, just like they do with the regular flu. Interestingly enough, this person had chronic health problems, and those are the ones who usually have problems with Flu Strains of all shapes and sizes.

Very sad that another person died. However, the CDC expected more people to die, just like they do with the regular flu. Interestingly enough, this person had chronic health problems, and those are the ones who usually have problems with Flu Strains of all shapes and sizes.
---------------

Very true.. A 19 yr. old girl is currently hospitalized - severely ill - in the western part of NY.. However, they have specifically stated that she had "other medical issues prior to coming down with this flu"..

If this were to start spreading inside of nursing homes, I'm sure you would see the death rates spike quite high - because most of those residents have pre-existing conditions..

In "healthy" people it still appears to be a "mild" form of the flu..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter