Sunshine's California Trip (Disney & Star Wars Celebration) Report

Sunshine...I know it's frustrating, but please forgive the crew (in the green shirts).....we were given about 20 seconds of instructions......I was working the info booth yesterday.....told them I was a bit nervous about that since I don't know much about where things are, what policies are, etc.....was told not to worry, just use the Program Guide or App. Ummm, yeah that works for a few things like where is this show playing or where can I buy something......but no help for where is first aid (as the lady dripped blood from her cut finger on the counter...did finally figure that one out)....or the lost boy.....I used the info booth phone to call for security, who only came and stayed with the boy (umm, no PA system or something) until Dad showed up to ask us where to go to find his son....oh, wait, he's right here in our booth. Oh, and how about where is lost and found for things not living......yeah do we even have one of those? Per Staff it's in the back of Hall C, but when no one we direct there can find it.....ummm, neither can staff so maybe we don't have one after all.

It is chaos, and crowded, and fun and exciting and crowded. But I must say I'm having a great time! And the costumes have been amazing....some look absolutely real and some are obviously home made but the pride in wearing them is equal! We had a 32GB SD card in the camera....and it had 190mb left when we got back to the hotel last night. Took two of them today.

Hey Sunshine....if you're going into the parks again before the end of Celebration.....could I get you to do a quick shop for me? We decided against going into the parks (too expensive for just 1 or 2 days, so we'll come back once 60th anniversary is going) but we would love to have the Starbuck mugs exclusive to each park.

Sounds awesome!! Can only imagine being there live for JJA and KK panel and watching the trailer! Hope you got pics for trip report later- especially if you guys at your 501st booth!!

I have tons of pictures coming, just hard to do with the phone. Going yo use the ones off my BF camera, his a very clear and good.

Hey Sunshine....if you're going into the parks again before the end of Celebration.....could I get you to do a quick shop for me? We decided against going into the parks (too expensive for just 1 or 2 days, so we'll come back once 60th anniversary is going) but we would love to have the Starbuck mugs exclusive to each park.

I checked down town Disney for those and couldn't find them, but I will check the parks and see if they have them.

Sunshine...I know it's frustrating, but please forgive the crew (in the green shirts).....we were given about 20 seconds of instructions......I was working the info booth yesterday.....told them I was a bit nervous about that since I don't know much about where things are, what policies are, etc.....was told not to worry, just use the Program Guide or App. Ummm, yeah that works for a few things like where is this show playing or where can I buy something......but no help for where is first aid (as the lady dripped blood from her cut finger on the counter...did finally figure that one out)....or the lost boy.....I used the info booth phone to call for security, who only came and stayed with the boy (umm, no PA system or something) until Dad showed up to ask us where to go to find his son....oh, wait, he's right here in our booth. Oh, and how about where is lost and found for things not living......yeah do we even have one of those? Per Staff it's in the back of Hall C, but when no one we direct there can find it.....ummm, neither can staff so maybe we don't have one after all.

It is chaos, and crowded, and fun and exciting and crowded. But I must say I'm having a great time! And the costumes have been amazing....some look absolutely real and some are obviously home made but the pride in wearing them is equal! We had a 32GB SD card in the camera....and it had 190mb left when we got back to the hotel last night. Took two of them today.

Connie I don't blame the crew I blame the people organizing it! It was obvious that they didn't give the crew the tools they needed for this!

I checked down town Disney for those and couldn't find them, but I will check the parks and see if they have them.

Thanks! If they do, and you're willing/able, could you grab us 3 of the Disneyland and 3 of the DCA ones...we can meet up and I will pay you, cash. Thanks! If you can't not to worry.

Girls said they talked with you and you were coming looking for me....sorry I missed you. Was working the que lines for the Arena for Cosplay Contest and for Daniels. Were you at Daniels? Meghan got to ask him a question!

Sounds like a really good time. I went to 2 celebrations in Indy, the ones right before attack of the clones and revenge of the sith. Yeah, things are disorganized and there are long lines and sometimes it sucks, but the experience is not to be missed. You'll have your battle stories for years to come. I'll never forget the night my 4 friends and I spent outside on the sidewalk waiting for the George Lucas panel in the morning. It was freezing rain and we only had 2 tarps, chairs, and 2 sleeping bags between the 5 of us. Good times.

Hi Connie it's been a crazy run for us, so much so that we haven't been able to do things as we wanted. We will be leaving out tomorrow, not sure we will be able to find those mugs but I'll keep my eye out.

We made it to only two panels, I will be typing up a full report when I get time. We never made it back your way, very sorry we missed you. Hope we see you at SWW.

Last edited:
No worries Sunshine! Have a safe trip home. I'm waiting for the girls to wake up and then we have to pack and start our drive home. The girls were thrilled to meet you and get your gorgeous card, thank you! Looking forward to meeting up at SWW. The girls are making our schedule and changed things around so that we'll be watching the parade the days you are in it, so expect some cheers!

I'm glad I came looking for the report because it shows I should get alerts and haven't gotten any. It was great to follow your trip on fb, and I love all the pictures it makes me really want to go to Celebration and Disneyland. I hope you are recharging you batteries for our little SWW, I mean after Celebration SWW might sound like a walk in the park.

I am taking time while on the plane headed home to start working on my trip report. My apologies to all for not keeping up with my reports during our trip, and my sincerest apologies to Connie B for not being able to get those mugs for you! :(

The hotel/resort - Paradise Pier:

Staff: 1st let me say the staff at this location was wonderful, and any negative comments are in no way a reflection on the CMs whatsoever.

Cost: For a value/mid level resort the pricing is crazy. What I pay for a deluxe resort at WDW is comparable to the cost of this Disneyland Resort's lowest tier hotel.

Bathroom: counters were gouged badly and the shower head was so low that we had to duck/do squats just to keep from bumping our heads and to rinse hair.

Cleanliness: perfect, every day things were done correctly by the staff. We never had to ask for anything, they monitored our usage and made sure we had what we needed.

Hotel bartenders: can't say enough good thing about these folks, drinks were always right, and they were always friendly.

Quality of Sleep: two thumbs up here, from bed comfort to great noise control.

Theming: just ok, I have seen picture of the value resorts at WDW and they do a better job! Besides a few hidden mickeys in places I think the government run Shades of Green in WDW does a better job at making you feel like you are at Disney.

My Rating: If this wasn't a Disney Resort I might rate it higher but comparing it to other Disney resorts I give Paradise Pier B-

Resort Character Breakfasts: We took time out to eat at all three resort character breakfasts at the hotels, here's how they matched up.

Only two of the tree Character breakfasts do a photo package at the start, Surf Mickey's and Goofy's Kitchen.

All three locations had characters come visit your table. Storyteller's Cafe had just woodland animals, brother bear, Meeko from Pocahontas and the Chipmunks. Surf Mickey's had Mickey for photo at the beginning, then Minnie, Pluto, Stitch, and Daisy. Goofy's Kitchen had Goofy for photo at beginning, then Chipmunks, Minnie, and Pluto.

The best variety of food and quality hands down was at Goofy's Kitchen!!!!

Location theming is tied between Storytellers Cafe and Goofy's Kitchen.

Best all around winner goes to Goofy's Kitchen!!! Can't say enough good things about this experience and would even rate it on par if not better than Chef Mickey's! My Rating A++

Other Dining Experiences:

Napa Rose @ The Grand Californian - (we ate here twice) First time was with reservations, second was walk up and those are seated in the lounge for dinner. Every bite was a thrill, both meals eaten at this fabulous restaurant were beyond measure. The service with reservations is better than with lounge seating however both locations served their full menu. We ate scallops for appetizers both times, pork dish, lamb dish, and sea bass dishes all of which we loved beyond words. My Rating A+++++++++

Blue Bayou @ Disneyland - (Fantasmic Dining Package) - wonderful scenery, restaurant is on the dark side but it overlooks the start of The Pirates of the Caribbean ride. I had rack of lamb, my BF had the Jambalaya. Both meals were very good! Only had two complaints, one the dessert we ordered was the apple huckleberry pie and it would have been awesome warm. Second because of the rule that no alcohol can be served in Disneyland we couldn't have wine with our meal. My Rating A-

Storytellers Cafe Dinner Buffet @ The Grand Californian - very average buffet, along the lines of a Golden Corral at Disney prices. My Rating D+

Cozy Cone @ California Adventure - hidden menu item Bacon Macaroni and Cheese served in a bread cone, not to be missed. Adult beverage Pomegranate lime-aide with Vodka also a very yummy treat! My Rating B+

Flo's V8 Diner @ California Adventure - has a good variety of platter meals, cute diner look. People seemed to really like it but I confess we had dinner reservations for later so all we grabbed was a fantastic very thick vanilla shake with crushed oreos on top! Nom nom nom! The shake and staff my rating A-

Cafe Orleans @ Disneyland - We ate here for a quick lunch, very yummy sandwiches served with a variety of different types of fries. My Rating B+

Corn Dog Castle @ California Adventure - Serves two different types of VERY large corn dogs, spicy and regular, very good quality. My Rating B+

Starbucks @ Downtown Disney - very well organized, handled crowds well, nice layout, very nicely decorated, orders were made correctly and in a timely fashion. Best Starbucks I have ever been to.

Experiences: In this section I will touch on the rides and shows, and compare those items that are at both locations.

World of Color @ California Adventure - If you see only one night time show see World of Color, we happened to get Fast Passes for this show but I advise getting a dinner package for more optimal viewing. Line up early, even if you have a FP or dining package, this shows is worth the wait! Like WDW Fantasimic there are projections on water but it goes beyond that with a colorful lighting and water effects set to music. My Rating A+

Fantasmic Dinner Package @ Disneyland - even getting the highest tier dinning package you end up with obstructed viewing (light posts and iron fences no matter where you seat is in this area) because you are seated on the ground on foam cushions that aren't enough to protect you from the stone/brick ground. The show itself is very good, and there are many similarities to the WDW production, however because of the close proximity to the stage, the large pirate ship and river boats right there within a few yards this show is stunningly beautiful. However hard to see! Lack of viewing options makes it very difficult to watch. The dragon in the Disneyland show is 100 times more detailed, it has to be with as close as the stage is you can see the dragon. Spoiler Alert - Story comparison at WDW show they have an abbreviated version of Pocahontas, at LAND a Peter Pan Captain Hook scene takes place on a pirate ship in your face, nearly close enough to jump on board! If the seating were better I would have rated this experience higher than the WDW show. My Rating B+ even though the show itself is better at LAND if you can't see it..... well :(

Rides @ Disneyland - We found it strangely odd that despite the lack of space both Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion are more detailed and longer at LAND! Space Mountain at LAND is the smoothest wild mouse styled coaster I have ever ridden, much love to this two seats side by side coaster, best of the two Space Mountain in both mine and my BF opinions. Indiana Jones vs Dinosaur, both rides are built with the same technology (side note I love the engineering behind Disney Rides and study them) however I think Dinosaur @ Animal Kingdom knocks it out of the park for storyline; even so both locations are super fun and the technology behind the ride vehicles are amazing! Thunder Mountain at LAND again wins the comparison, smoothness, length, and theming.

Rides @ California Adventure - Radiator Springs Racers vs Test Track, both have the fun race at the end but story theming and general all over look of RSR and the Cars movie character coming to life before your very eyes made this the best of the two rides. Ride technology being equal story, theming and those lovable Cars characters made this an AWESOME RIDE A+++ Our close second favorite ride in this park was California Screamin, loved loved this made to look like wood roller coasters made out of metal with a loop! Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (as some of you might know is my favorite ride in all of WDW) LAND's version left me heart broken, the whole setup was awful, from the fact that when you load the appearance of stepping into an elevator is lost because you walk out of the boiler room, across a hall and the into the ride car, in addition you unload back where you started. :(

SW Celebration Anahiem : Because the panels were simulcast on StarWars.com I believe most of you found out more first hand than we did. Why? We missed all but two panels, we saw opening ceremony and Rebels New Allies and Villains panel. Both panels we did see were amazing! Opening ceremony was beyond measure, the resounding vibe and roaring screams, along with tear filled glee is something I will never forget! Harrison Ford saying "Chewie we're home" gave me chills that I can still feel every time I think about it! The Rebels panel with cast and David Filoni was too awesome, the revels and teaser trailer left me wanting so much more and very excited for season 2. Why did we only see two panels and missed Mark Hamill's panel completely? Because we lived in the longest lines I have ever stood in. From purchasing the event poster so we could use it for autographs taking us 4.5 hours to obtain; to the most messed up celerity lines it took us 75% of our convention time to get 12 of the 14 autographs we intended and wasting most of our con time in line and $70 out of pocket for the two signatures we gave up on because we called UNCLE! Fortunately we have meet both Jeremy Bulloch and Ray Park in the past is why we called it quits... We did however get Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Peter Mayhew, Ian McDiarmid, Kenny Baker, Anthony Daniels, Billy Dee Williams, Tim Rose, John Ratzenberger, Matthew Wood, Daniel Logan and Brian Muir's signatures on a poster that will be sent to the framers tomorrow and cherished forever! We did take time out of our scheduled to troop in our Imperial Officers and be a part of a Make A Wish presentation that was beyond awesome!

Last edited:
Pictures are coming, they are higher quality than this forum can handle so I am going to put them on my Picasa and provide the open link for people to look at. And when my BF/fiance processes his pictures from the high quality camera I will post them as well :)

Paradise Pier: https://picasaweb.google.com/104804...andResortPhotos?authkey=Gv1sRgCPn8vqXQ0KGUoAE

Grand Californian and Restaurants at this resort: https://picasaweb.google.com/104804...ntsAtThisResort?authkey=Gv1sRgCNjO4pjCoteb5QE

California Adventure: https://picasaweb.google.com/104804...iforniaAdventure?authkey=Gv1sRgCJPOrKvN35_SVw

Disneyland: https://picasaweb.google.com/104804329874810583549/Disneyland?authkey=Gv1sRgCIrSs6-CooC4OQ

EDIT: Added Picture link 4/23/2015 8:53 PM Eastern Time

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your trip report and doing the recaps - especially love your comments about the attractions compared to WDW. I know they say to try and not compare the two but no way I won't be doing that some even if I try not to

You got some great pictures! Love the one of the band riding the carousel!

The dining recaps are really helpful too. I am sad we won't be able to do Napa Rose this trip but with 3 little kids and limited time, just not the time for it ... just a reason to go back some day though ;)

Sorry again for that wait you had to experience to buy the poster. At least you wound up with an amazing end result - would have been 100x more frustrating if you went through that and then weren't able to get all the signatures. That must have been so cool to be in a large collection of big time Star Wars fans watching the new trailer together for the first time!

Yessss! That looks awesome on your car!! Very balanced with your other decals :) Sadly no, we can't swing SWW this year. Put all our funds into Celebration. But the fanwraps will be there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter