• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sunshine's California Trip (Disney & Star Wars Celebration) Report

The Sunrise Student

aka Sunshine
celebration_mini.jpg

T Minus 20 days and counting... 7 Days / 6 Night Trip to Anaheim California!

Along with planning a 12 day / 11 night AKL-CL / SWW trip in May 2015 http://www.disboards.com/threads/“sunshine’s”-bucket-list-trip-report-–-12-days-11-nights-at-akl-newbie-club-level.3374627/ we are doing this trip as well!

This trip we couldn’t resist… the chance to go out to California, something I hadn’t done since the 80s (therefore I have never seen California Adventure, nor any of their resorts, they didn’t exist then)… the chance for my boyfriend to see Disneyland and California Adventure for the first time… and for us to both go to our first Star Wars Celebration (which is being held at the Anaheim Convention Center right across the street from Disneyland property)!

We are leaving Indianapolis at April 14, 6AM eastern time, we have a quick layover in Vegas, then flying into Ronald Ragan Airport at 8:45 pacific time. We are staying at the Disney Resort Paradise Pier (standard room) and have arrangements for Disney to shuttle us from the airport to the resort, no car really needed for this trip. We will be walking everywhere! We have 5 day hopper tickets for our time there… we will not have time to go to the parks every day with the convention going on as well.

As I mentioned in my other trip report my BF and I are what people call “Park Commandos” and we will be putting our skills to the test this trip between the convention and the parks.

Star Wars Celebration: is Thursday thru Sunday, opening ceremonies is Thursday April 16! We are pretty excited because rumor has it that some of our 501st comrades (there are 3 other couples from our neck of the 501st going to this even, plus others we know from around the globe) will be part of the festivities! But beyond knowing this at this time none of the panels nor schedules have been released yet! (If you think planning for SWW is driving you crazy, try planning for an event that is 3 weeks away and the schedule isn’t finished!) We do however know the celebrities that will be there, and it is a list from heck!

If you are interested see list of guests here - http://www.starwarscelebration.com/Guests/Special-Guests/

My BF and I have split the cost and already paid for autograph tickets see the following

· Mark Hamill

· Carrie Fischer

· Billy Dee Williams

· Peter Mayhew

· Ian McDiarmid

· Kenny Baker

· Anthony Daniels

· Jeremy Bulloch

· Daniel Logan

· Ray Park

· Tim Rose

· Matthew Wood

· Brian Muir

· John Ratzenberger

What is wild about the whole thing is that only Mark Hamill, Carrie Fischer, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker are tickets for them specifically, for the others you buy tickets like buying for carnival rides, example Ian McDiarmid costs $90 to see, you buy 9 $10 tickets to pay to see him. The other crazy thing is that we might have just bought ourselves line hell, if this is organized wrong with the amount of tickets/people we planned to have sign our SWC poster. I’ll be sure to keep everyone posted during the process of this whole trip to let you know how it worked out!

On the Disney side of the house: Few things I have learned, one of which is that Disneyland property and Disney World property is run very different, from their website, to their reservations at resort, EVERYTHING…

I have already made dining reservations; they are not called ADRs at Disneyland Property!

• Napa Rose for Dinner
  • Disney’s PHC Grill for a Character Breakfast
  • Storyteller Cafe for a Character Breakfast (just added 3/26 I figured after looking at Friday's schedule we need all the help we can get)
  • Goofy’s Kitchen Character Breakfast
  • Blue Bayou Fantasmic! Dinner Package
:love: I am very excited about the Blue Bayou reservation, I have never eaten here before but I remember my mother telling tales of this restaurant that overlooked the Pirates of the Caribbean ride that she loved … so this will be great to be somewhere that she talked about so affectionately, just wish she could be there with me :sad:

We are also excited to play the Fast Pass system game, being the original park commandos I was VERY VERY good at the old FP paper ticket system, and plan to bring back those skills at Land & CA. I have even read the two park systems are not connected so you can run back and forth between the two and get tickets… and I plan to try it out!

We are also going to make sure those days we are not going to the park we try and see the World of Color from the top of our resort, as well as check out Down Town Disney and compare it to WDW (we know it’s smaller, but I am all for quality verses quantity anyway!)

Stay tuned: I’ll post more as I know more… as well as plan to post things live from the convention/parks… So if you are a SW fan you might like this thread for that if nothing else ;)

Last edited:
Looking forward to reading! We are also going to Celebration, flying in Wednesday and leaving on Tuesday. We'll be going to Disneyland/DCA on Monday. This is my first trip to Disneyland (and California!) so it should be interesting, especially since I'm a WDW AP holder and live 10 minutes from those parks. :)

You're correct about the lack of schedule being completely frustrating, but it's par for the course with most big conventions. Mary Franklin tweeted the other day that they finished the schedule, so hopefully it'll be coming out soon!

Official Pix is usually pretty organized with autograph lines.

Looking forward to reading! We are also going to Celebration, flying in Wednesday and leaving on Tuesday. We'll be going to Disneyland/DCA on Monday. This is my first trip to Disneyland (and California!) so it should be interesting, especially since I'm a WDW AP holder and live 10 minutes from those parks. :)

You're correct about the lack of schedule being completely frustrating, but it's par for the course with most big conventions. Mary Franklin tweeted the other day that they finished the schedule, so hopefully it'll be coming out soon!

You will have to look out for us... maybe we will run into you :)

Official Pix is usually pretty organized with autograph lines.

That is good to hear, we are doing a plan B with our schedule, we have a top priority list and we will be working our way through it, if we get them all we get them all but we are not going to miss stuff we really wanna see. Might be an expensive mistake BUT....

Hope to run into you there!! We are driving and will arrive on Tuesday......I am on staff, so probably working on Wednesday and the girls will wander DTD. No park for us this trip.....not enough time to warrant ticket prices for 1-2 days we'll have available and we have only the WDW AP this year because we don't have time in the schedule for another trip to California (but don't feel sorry for us, we have 87 nights planned over 3 trips in 2015 for WDW!)

A hint about Blue Bayou....ask to be seated by the railing.....you may have to wait a few minutes, but it's worth it to have an unobstructed view of the water where the POC boats go past.....it's also fun because the riders will likely wave at you.....and maybe even talk to you (ok, it's more of a shout, lol). Beautiful restaurant and atmosphere, definitely one of those "bucket list" things everyone should do at least once.

Hope to run into you there!! We are driving and will arrive on Tuesday......I am on staff, so probably working on Wednesday and the girls will wander DTD. No park for us this trip.....not enough time to warrant ticket prices for 1-2 days we'll have available and we have only the WDW AP this year because we don't have time in the schedule for another trip to California (but don't feel sorry for us, we have 87 nights planned over 3 trips in 2015 for WDW!)

A hint about Blue Bayou....ask to be seated by the railing.....you may have to wait a few minutes, but it's worth it to have an unobstructed view of the water where the POC boats go past.....it's also fun because the riders will likely wave at you.....and maybe even talk to you (ok, it's more of a shout, lol). Beautiful restaurant and atmosphere, definitely one of those "bucket list" things everyone should do at least once.

Hi Connie, that would be great to run into you there... you are on staff for the event or DTD? We plan to wander DTD on those days after the convention that we don't plan to hit the parks.

And we will most definitely ask for rail seating :)

Yes, definitely! We are recording our podcast on Sunday morning at 10:30 if you want to stop by. :)

I haven't done autographs since Celebration III, but I don't think I waited very long for all the lesser-known actor autographs. This post might be helpful to you. http://clubjade.net/?p=41433

This is our first SWC so we have no idea what is to come, we only have our other conventions experience to guide us. Where are you recording your Podcast at?!

EDIT PS: Love the link, thanks!

Hi Connie, that would be great to run into you there... you are on staff for the event or DTD? We plan to wander DTD on those days after the convention that we don't plan to hit the parks.

And we will most definitely ask for rail seating :)

I'm on staff at Celebration.....still waiting for my schedule and assignment.

This is our first SWC so we have no idea what is to come, we only have our other conventions experience to guide us. Where are you recording your Podcast at?!

EDIT PS: Love the link, thanks!

You're welcome! You should check out the other posts in that series. Pretty good advice for Celebration! You're gonna have a blast!

The Podcast stage is in Room 208, I believe.

Part 2

SWC Schedule: Well the finally released the schedule for the events/panels/shows during Star Wars Celebration and boy I AM NOT HAPPY :sad1: Everything is crazy to be sure but what really has me hot under the collar is Saturday Night!

Check out some of the highlights…

Thursday April 16th

10:00 AM – Opening Ceremony with JJ Abrams & Kathleen Kennedy (Celebration Stage)

2:30 PM – Disney Parks & SW Merch (BTS Stage)

4:00 PM – Ian McDiarmid (Celebration Stage)

Friday April 17th

1:30 PM - Carrie Fischer (Celebration Stage)

7:00 PM – Anthony Daniels (Celebration Stage) the dude must be a night owl :P

8:00 PM to 2 AM – 501st BASH!

Saturday April 18th

11:00 AM (NEW TIME) New Allies and Villains in Rebels Season 2 (Digital Stage)

4:00 to 5:00 PM – Rebels Red Carpet (Digital Stage)

5:00 to 7:00 PM – Rebels Season 2 Premier (Digital Stage)

6:00 to 8:00 PM – “Talking to Myself” and Mark Hamill (hosted by James Arnold Taylor at Celebration Stage)

ANYONE SEEING THE PROBLEM HERE?! How could they schedule Rebels Season 2 Premier and Mark Hamill panel at the same time! And this is the only time both of these events are happening!

:sad::sad::sad: What the heck am I going to do now?!?! :sad::sad::sad:

Sunday April 19th

1:30 PM – Billy Dee Williams (Celebration Stage)

3:30 PM Closing Ceremony (Celebration Stage)

There are tons of podcast and other events too… and we are going to pop into those when we aren’t working the 501st stuff or in line for Celebrity Autographs!

The whole schedule has my stomach turning!

Stay Tuned…. as the dilemma continues!

Edit Notes : edited times for New Allies and Villains in Rebels Season 2 (Digital Stage) 4/7/2015

Last edited:
ANYONE SEEING THE PROBLEM HERE?! How could they schedule Rebels Season 2 Premier and Mark Hamill panel at the same time! And this is the only time both of these events are happening!

:sad::sad::sad: What the heck am I going to do now?!?! :sad::sad::sad:

Yeah, it sucks. But they have to make conflicts with the marquee events because they can't fit everyone in. :P I can't go to the Rebels premiere either and I'm super bummed about it. There's a Tribute to Aaron Allston right beforehand that I don't want to miss. Plus I want to see Mark.

Ahh, conflicts, it's a good problem to have at Celebration. At least it's not as bad as Dragon Con, where I've had five panels scheduled at the same time!

Yeah, it sucks. But they have to make conflicts with the marquee events because they can't fit everyone in. :P I can't go to the Rebels premiere either and I'm super bummed about it. There's a Tribute to Aaron Allston right beforehand that I don't want to miss. Plus I want to see Mark.

Ahh, conflicts, it's a good problem to have at Celebration. At least it's not as bad as Dragon Con, where I've had five panels scheduled at the same time!

Ok @nancipants how have we not met in person yet... do you realize my BF and I, along with a good number of my starwarsindiana.com crew were at Dragon Con! And We are going again this Labor-day weekend! We are arriving on Wednesday and leaving on Tuesday, we learned our lesson last year trying to check in and leave during the mad house... we will be bringing lots of gear to that as well, so we figured that we would be better off giving us cushion days around it.

PS I will tell you a little secret... my BF is "Anna" in the Disney Princess Stunt Doubles group at Dragon Con :P

I don't know, LOL! Especially since my favorite character is Mara Jade. (I have two dogs named Mara and Jade.) I hope we get to meet at Celebration! (Are you on twitter, btw?)

I'm not sure if we're going to Dragon Con this year or not. We're leaving towards it, but it depends on money.

I don't know, LOL! Especially since my favorite character is Mara Jade. (I have two dogs named Mara and Jade.) I hope we get to meet at Celebration! (Are you on twitter, btw?)

I'm not sure if we're going to Dragon Con this year or not. We're leaving towards it, but it depends on money.

Now that the schedule is up, which pod cast are you... if we are not tied up with the 501st or in autograph line hell I will make sure to come see ya!

EDIT PS: is this you? http://tosche-station.net/

:rotfl: too funny on the puppies, love it! :rotfl:

Nope not on Twitter, haven't dove into that arena yet... just FB

DRAGON CON: I can understand that.

Last edited:
joining in - we are going to Disneyland for the first time this coming October so looking forward to hearing about your trip

We are looking to do the Blue Bayou Fantasmic! package as well so hope you enjoy that :goodvibes

That's exactly what happened to us at CVI. We wanted to see Warwick Davis' panel and it was back to back. At the start of Warwick's show I got a text from a DIS friend that the red carpet line was closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter