Sunshine's California Trip (Disney & Star Wars Celebration) Report

That's exactly what happened to us at CVI. We wanted to see Warwick Davis' panel and it was back to back. At the start of Warwick's show I got a text from a DIS friend that the red carpet line was closed.

I still don't know what I am going to do... I do have tickets to meet Mark Hamill in person... but I have never been to one of his shows... although I wanna see the premier of Rebels Season 2!

If I thought I would ever get the chance to see Hamill again I might not be freaking out, but unless he comes to SWW and it just happens to be the same weekend I am there.... Ahhhhhh it's killing me!

If it makes you feel any better, he also attended the past three Celebrations (Celebration V and VI in Orlando, Celebration Europe 2 in Germany). Barring any major schedule conflicts I fully expect him to be on the regular Celebration guest list from now on, especially with him being in the Sequel Trilogy.

If it makes you feel any better, he also attended the past three Celebrations (Celebration V and VI in Orlando, Celebration Europe 2 in Germany). Barring any major schedule conflicts I fully expect him to be on the regular Celebration guest list from now on, especially with him being in the Sequel Trilogy.

IF I can get to see those other celebrations in the future :) Also my other hang up is, even though the Rebels Season 2 is a premier, I still will be able to see it when it is officially released, I am not sure how many opportunities I will have to see Hamill. My BF and I are still debating this heavily... are heartstrings are being pulled really hard in both directions...

I'm so jealous, @The Sunrise Student! You are going to have a blast. I went to DL last May and it was so great. I used RideMax to plan my days and it worked out so well. I had 3 days but got so much done that I really only need 2. But it was crazy hot at the time (over 100), so it was nice that I could take it slow the last day and just redo favorites. RideMax helped me determine the order to do things, though I didn't end up standing in line for anything as long as it said I would and that was on a Saturday. Space Mountain is so much better than the MK version in my opinion. And World of Color is not to be missed! It was so great. I did the dinner package for it and got in the FP line early, so I ended up being on the front rail of the raised reserved area and it was amazing. I loved it!

The Disneyland forum here was so helpful for me while I was planning. Definitely check it out if you haven't!

I'm so jealous, @The Sunrise Student! You are going to have a blast. I went to DL last May and it was so great. I used RideMax to plan my days and it worked out so well. I had 3 days but got so much done that I really only need 2. But it was crazy hot at the time (over 100), so it was nice that I could take it slow the last day and just redo favorites. RideMax helped me determine the order to do things, though I didn't end up standing in line for anything as long as it said I would and that was on a Saturday. Space Mountain is so much better than the MK version in my opinion. And World of Color is not to be missed! It was so great. I did the dinner package for it and got in the FP line early, so I ended up being on the front rail of the raised reserved area and it was amazing. I loved it!

The Disneyland forum here was so helpful for me while I was planning. Definitely check it out if you haven't!

That is good to hear about the rides... I have a subscription to touring plans and have been checking it out. We are hanging out with family on Wednesday so we might not be able to run as hard and me and my BF like to.

I checked out some of the threads on the DISboards for Disneyland and that's how I got the tip on the Fantasimic! package I have. I am not sure if we are going to see World of Color or not in person but I am going to make an effort to get up on top of Paradise Pier some time... If we can get away with it I would love to be there in person... actually hoping family might wanna do a World of color dinning package.

My boss is from out that way, he is one of those people what were shocked about WDW planning as apposed to DL planning, and he said the same thing Space Mountain is better in DL!

You have amazing reservations for DL - I have one suggestion. If you aren't reserved for Napa Rose Chef's Counter and it's available I cannot recommend it enough. It is pricey - with a wine flight for me and dinner for DH and I after tip ran us about $350 but it was hands down the most amazing meal of my life next to Gordon Ramsay Steak in Paris hotel Las Vegas.

Since staying at the PPH -the fastest way to Disney California Adventure especially is crossing over to the Grand Californian Hotel (GCH) and using that entrance into the parks.

FP ARE CONNECTED IN BOTH PARKS - EXCEPT WORLD OF COLOR.

There might be one or two that aren't but they recently changed it. However you can absolutely hold a FP for both parks in the same day.
Be advised FP are not available for nearly as many rides in DL/DCA as there are in WDW. You won't believe how many people circle around looking for FP for Pirates . Peter Pan . Haunted mansion and Toy Story.
There is no electrical parade and no FP for fireworks - only World of Color DCA and Fantasmic in DL , but you are doing the dinner already.

I loved Blue Bayou Fantasmic package and we eat there all the time , great choice.

In DCA - do Radiator Springs Racers single rider..it is the best and sometimes DH and I even end up in the same car!

The best advice I have is go with the flow - as the two parks are literally steps from each other and each have their charms.

Some of our favorite highlights include :

Plaza Inn friend chicken - seriously don't miss this.
Walking along rivers of america as close to closing as possible. So peaceful.
Lobster Nachos at Cove Bar in DCA - AMAAAAAZING. Order a "Black pearl" if you drink..you won't be sorry.
Trader Sam's at the DLH. Get there early before 4pm if you can or you may be waiting a LONG time.
Take the grand circle tour on the railroad - great for relaxing for a few.

You have amazing reservations for DL - I have one suggestion. If you aren't reserved for Napa Rose Chef's Counter and it's available I cannot recommend it enough. It is pricey - with a wine flight for me and dinner for DH and I after tip ran us about $350 but it was hands down the most amazing meal of my life next to Gordon Ramsay Steak in Paris hotel Las Vegas.

Since staying at the PPH -the fastest way to Disney California Adventure especially is crossing over to the Grand Californian Hotel (GCH) and using that entrance into the parks.

FP ARE CONNECTED IN BOTH PARKS - EXCEPT WORLD OF COLOR.

There might be one or two that aren't but they recently changed it. However you can absolutely hold a FP for both parks in the same day.
Be advised FP are not available for nearly as many rides in DL/DCA as there are in WDW. You won't believe how many people circle around looking for FP for Pirates . Peter Pan . Haunted mansion and Toy Story.
There is no electrical parade and no FP for fireworks - only World of Color DCA and Fantasmic in DL , but you are doing the dinner already.

I loved Blue Bayou Fantasmic package and we eat there all the time , great choice.

In DCA - do Radiator Springs Racers single rider..it is the best and sometimes DH and I even end up in the same car!

The best advice I have is go with the flow - as the two parks are literally steps from each other and each have their charms.

Some of our favorite highlights include :

Plaza Inn friend chicken - seriously don't miss this.
Walking along rivers of america as close to closing as possible. So peaceful.
Lobster Nachos at Cove Bar in DCA - AMAAAAAZING. Order a "Black pearl" if you drink..you won't be sorry.
Trader Sam's at the DLH. Get there early before 4pm if you can or you may be waiting a LONG time.
Take the grand circle tour on the railroad - great for relaxing for a few.

@Astylla As soon as you put this post up I had my BF read it....

We love good food... reading reviews is why we choose Napa Rose... who do you get reservations for the Chef's counter? We are VERY VERY interested!

Good tip on how to get to the parks from our hotel!

Awww on the FP being connected...

Good to hear about Bayou, we are very excited about that one!

We plan to do what we can around the convention schedule, and really wanna see Flo's V8 Cafe with it's neon at night :P

I love fried chicken (but only when it's made right) and regularly go to 50s Prime Time Cafe because it's the closest to my mom's :) So when I am missing her I go eat fried chicken there... I will have to check out Pizza Inn wouldn't have figured it for a fried chicken place with that name, glad you said something :)

River's of America sounds like a fun place to relax, is it better during the day or at night?

Lobster Nachos... those sound YUMMY! Black Pearl huh? Will have to check out this adult beverage :P

Trader Sam's, not sure we will ever make it into there unless they take reservations because of our crazy convention schedule but I will keep it in mind!

I am sure I can convince my family whom we are visiting with to ride the railroad, escpecailly if they need a break :)

Thank you, thank you so much for your insight!

For Chef's Counter Napa Rose call Napa Rose directly at 714-300-7170. You can leave a message with the date , party size and seating first at 5:30pm or second at 8pm..I think..and they will call you back and leave a message if necessary.

Plaza Inn fried chicken is famous there..seriously don't miss it haha.

I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

Part 3 - The Mark Hamill / Rebels Season 2 Premier

This weekend I went to a birthday party and most of my 501st Bloodfin Garrison whom are going to SWC as well chatted about the Mark Hamill - Star Wars Rebels Season 2 premier conflict...

We decided that we are going to see Mark Hamill Panel... As desperate as I am to see the SW Rebels Season 2 Premier I can watch it at another time, how many times in my life am I gonna see MARK HAMILL!?

We are however going to the Rebel's Panel "New Allies and Villains in Rebels Season 2"

Talk about a nail biting decision but come on, it's MARK HAMILL as my Garrison CO said to us :)

Part 4

pixiedust:A week from this very moment we will be on a plane headed west, with a stop in Vegas on our way to SNA “John Wayne Airport.” We’ve never been to SNA before so navigating around hopefully isn’t to challenging.

We’ll be landing at SNA at 8:45 AM and will be catching the shuttle service Disney indicated, and I paid for through them via my reservations. (If anyone has ever used this service and could tell me more about location of catching the shuttle I would love that.)

Once at the Paradise Pier, we are hoping for an early check-in or at least partial one so we can stash our gear and head over to check out the parks :)

Wednesday will be family day: I will be introducing my BF to family I haven’t seen in years, my Uncle Dave, Aunt Gale and Cousin Karie who live out there and have AP so we will be playing and visiting. I also got Photo Pass so I hope to get some great pictures of all of us!

Autograph ticket pickup: On Wednesday we will also have to take a break from the fun in the early evening to go pick up our autograph tickets or we will be forced to do them sometime Thursday morning, so we are hoping to get that done ahead of time.

Change in plan: We found out that they changed opening ceremonies and our buddies will not be involved as we originally had thought. They will be premiering the new Stormtrooper Armor for SW7 however, just not with our buddies in them :(

:darth: Working the 501st Booth: My BF and I will be in our Imperial Officers for this convention and will be working 10 am to noon on Friday.

Wish us luck, we have been running around trying to figure out what clothes to pack, so far it looks like mornings are very cool and then warm up a lot during the day. Reminds me of summer’s in New England.

Last edited:
congrats on making a decision - and I agree, how many times will you have the chance to see Mark Hamill vs seeing a show you can see at a later time (as cool as seeing the premiere would be)

Good luck with your packing (sounds like layers is the way to go) and your travel as well!

@ConnieB did you ever get your schedule?

Yep, working Friday and Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. Sadly I only have 17.5 hours....was hoping for a lot more, but maybe I can add some when I get there. Not sure where I am working as that still hasn't been released, but based on my hours and the jobs I did at CVI, I am thinking I'll be working the shows again.....or maybe it is hoping, lol.

(please forgive any typos, between autocorrect hell and my typing skills on a phone)

Good Morning from sunny California and from the JJ Abrams panel / opening ceremony MAIN STAGE line!

We have been in sunny California for 2 full days now. We arrived in California Tuesday morning, shuttle service from SNA to Paradise Pier worked out well. When we arrived at the resort we were able to check in immediately and got our room even though it was just after 10 am.

I would rate Paridise Pier along the lines of a moderate at WDW. However I will say our room here is bigger than the room we had at Boardwalk Inn last year and we like our room here better. The other thing about PP resort is they seem to have some good noise dampening going on, we haven't heard our neighbors at all.

We have been spending our free time at the parks over the last two days. And there are things we have noticed. First and foremost the length of wait times is so much shorter! We have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of under 15 to 30 minute waits in stand by lines. Only a few headliner rides did we ever see get to an hour. Second thing we noticed is that some of the classic rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are longer and have more details! We were shocked by this considering the lack of room in this location compared to World. Third Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are better here at LAND! And we absolutely love California Screaming and Radiator Springs Racers!

We ate at Napa Rose our first night here and LOVE IT! We didn't get the Chefs table but still enjoyed every bite.

Now for SWC, people started lining up last night before they even opened the queueing for the panel and some how getting here when we did this morning we managed to get main stage, however people arriving just 15 minutes after us are digital stage.

We have about an hour and a half until opening ceremony... However we found out if you go out to youtube they are actually simulcast in it there, or at least replaying it!

That's it for now I will keep you posted!

To be continued...

Last edited:
Hello from Sunny California, we are on day 4 of our trip, and this is the morning after our 1st day at SWC... We survived, barely!

Despite the lack of organization from the con staff opening ceremony was flipping amazing!!! I am still hoarse after screaming my lungs out! Being in the main room was exciting, the energy from the fans was over the top and they showed us the trailer twice.

The next show that the convention center staff was not up to the challenge was the lack of organization and staff in the official merch area. Took me 30 minutes just to pick up our poster for the autographs and another 4 hours (no that is not a typo) just to pay for it! If we hadn't been counting on getting the poster for autographs we would have left! We didn't get to any of the other panels nor did we get a chance to look around. By the time we got out of the merch area all we could do was finally go to the bathroom, make a quick stop at her universe (which was out of most things I wanted by that time) and then grab our autograph tickets! We were fortunate enough to grab Tim Rose, Daniel Lagan, Peter Mayhew and Brian Muir's autographs!!

After that we were done, we hadn't eaten and barely drank anything all day, we decided to give it a rest, and go over to California Adventure for a uplifting evening. And it was just what the doctor ordered... We had fun riding a few rides and eating bacon macaroni and cheese out of a bread cone from the Cozy Cone Motel!

Oh I forgot to tell you the second night we were here we got FP for World of Color show and loved ever minute of it, an Amazing sight not yo be missed, however if you can do the diner package do it, they got much better seating!

This morning we enjoyed a fantastic character breakfast at Story Teller Cafe and LOVE it!

Well it's time to get dressed in our Imperial Officers and head over to the convention, we are trooping at the 501st booth this morning, then plan to come back get changed into regular duds, pick up our poster and hope for a better day than yesterday. Wish us luck and please send pixie dust our way!

To be continued....

Last edited:
Sounds awesome!! Can only imagine being there live for JJA and KK panel and watching the trailer! Hope you got pics for trip report later- especially if you guys at your 501st booth!!

Thanks for the live updates - that must have been amazing to be in the room when they aired the trailer. People are going nuts about it on Facebook/twitter/etc - so to be there in the conference must have been awesome!

Such a bummer about the lines/wait at the merchandise area. I hate when there are crazy lines to give them money for things. Glad you have been enjoying the parks though - can't wait to see some of those rides in person this fall!

We are also excited to play the Fast Pass system game, being the original park commandos I was VERY VERY good at the old FP paper ticket system, and plan to bring back those skills at Land & CA.
Star Wars and Disney... you can't beat that! I am looking forward to your TR. Yeah, some FP's are on the network and some are not. When I was there last in 2013 you could get two at a time depending on which ride it was. That was pretty handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter