Stroller revolt!

My child's health and well being and comfort have no price. I wouldn't dare tell my child, "suck it up, you have to walk" just bc she is a certain age. This same mentality is why my mother (who is only 60 yrs old) is giving me a hard time about renting her a wheelchair or the motorized thing at WDW. The attitude of others who think and push their view that if you are a certain age, you should walk, make others embarrassed or afraid to admit when they actually do need assistance. My mom's argument is "I'm 60, not 80." or "I'm not an invalid." Truth is, she is a woman who can not walk quickly or for long periods of time without her back starting to hurt. So why should she suffer in Disney to avoid looks or because she's too proud? It's ridiculous. My point is: It shouldn't matter what age you are--- you shouldn't be forced to walk nor should it be assumed you can keep up. 7 yr olds can tire easily and need to be pushed just as much as a 4 yr old. If you are one of those people who is in the best of health and can walk Disney from sunup to sun down and not feel at all worn- then good for you. Consider yourself blessed but don't assume everyone is like that.

So why don't you just walk more slowly and do shorter days? It would probably make her feel better to be able to walk on her own.

. My point is: It shouldn't matter what age you are--- you shouldn't be forced to walk nor should it be assumed you can keep up. 7 yr olds can tire easily and need to be pushed just as much as a 4 yr old. If you are one of those people who is in the best of health and can walk Disney from sunup to sun down and not feel at all worn- then good for you. Consider yourself blessed but don't assume everyone is like that.

I am not directing this solely at you but have noticed many comments about older children not having enough endurance or the ability keep up so they NEED a stroller . No one should be forced to walk if they are too tired but using isn't the only way to achieve it. Perhaps planning your trip around the physical abilities of everyone in your group rather then the people who are able to do the most.

I do not walk as fast as my husband (I am short and have short legs and have to semi run to keep with his "normal" pace) So he slows down to walk with me. But I have much more endurance than him and could keep going for hours after he is done but when he is out of gas we take a break or are done for the day. I have also been with my parents who are much older, both have significant hearing loss and my dad has MS. When we go with them we go at their pace not ours it just makes sense.

Why not plan you day and trip so your children are not to the point of a melt down or collapsing. Just acknowledge that you can do and see everything and go from there rather then pushing a 7 year old to the point they need a stroller.

Ok, here is my 2 cents. I am a parent, so I completely understand that Disney is rough on little ones. Heck, it's even rough on adults! Especially in the summer sun, with the humidity, and believe me I know b/c I'm a Floridian.;) Now, I know that when my boys are 7-8 years old, THEY WILL BE WALKING!! First, I am not going to pay those ridiculous prices, and second they are big enough to walk. I remember going to Disney for the first time when I was 8, and by no means did I have a stroller, I had to walk. I probably had a couple meltdowns, but we always returned to the resort for some down-time/pool-time to cool off, and regain composure.lol
I do not judge the parents that want to put older children in strollers, but I know that as a 8 yr. old I didn't use them, nor do I plan on having my children when they're at that age use them.

Okay....off my soap box.:)

I see double strollers in the parks all the time that are brought in by people. I don't think they enforce that rule for strollers.

most double jogging strollers are smaller that that anyone. the only ones that arent are the strollers that go behind the bikes

So why don't you just walk more slowly and do shorter days? It would probably make her feel better to be able to walk on her own.

Why don't you stop telling people what you think is right? She simple stated what she did and why she does it.

Why don't you stop telling people what you think is right? She simple stated what she did and why she does it.

ok I'll say it more frankly.

It seems selfish to insist on running around all day, when at least 2 members of your party cannot do that. one of which has even expressed displeasure with the plan.

ok I'll say it more frankly.

It seems selfish to insist on running around all day, when at least 2 members of your party cannot do that. one of which has even expressed displeasure with the plan.

Ah, of course....a mother who is concerned for the comfort of her child, the child that she's shelling out big money to take on a WDW vacation, she's selfish because she's figured out a way to accommodate everyone in her party in a way you don't approve of? That's rich.

It seems closeminded to assume that putting a kid in a stroller is done for selfish reasons. Perhaps the child wants to go all day and the mother knows that she will enjoy herself better if she does not have to walk the entire time. Not that it is really anyone's business why people choose to do what they do with their own children.

Too many pages to sift through, but did the OP ever get/find a double jogger to fit her kids if they need a break? I only ask because we have a Baby Jogger City Series double and it can easily hold my kids who are age 4 and there is a TON of extra head room for taller kids (mine are around 42"). If you stay at an Epcot resort, these joggers are especially handy because you can watch the late shows (fantasmic and illuminations) and then just take your time and walk back to your resort. Let the kids rest in the jogger, grab a snack, and enjoy the walk. No crowds, lines, or buses. Enjoy!
:)

Thank you for your support and understanding Bethy Lou and thegrimdwarf. For the record, I never said i wasn't going to shorten the days or take it slowly. I love how people assume things or read into things more than necessary. I also know that some people do not want to admit when they are feeling pain or can't keep up bc they don't want to be the ones holding up the rest of the group. The wheelchair for my mother would be to prevent her from developing pain- not to stick her in when the pain starts to set in so that she can keep going. My mother would be able to enjoy herself more if she could wander through WDW without worrying about whether or not she is pushing herself too hard or for too long. Funny thing is, both of my parents think the other should rent one but each one doesn't want to be the one riding IN it. If they could both take it easy, take turns using it and have a place to sit for parades and the like, WDW would be so much more enjoyable for both of them. Instead we walk around nice and slow and frequently say, "you ok, Dad? You ok, Mom?" and each time it's "yes yes, we're fine. Don't worry about us" and then at the end of the day my mom says, "oh I can't move another inch. I walked too much."
Similarly, the stroller is not so I can see the whole WORLD easier by sticking my kid in and whizzing her along. and just FYI, she's only 4 but I see nothing wrong with a 7 year old in WDW with a stroller. The stroller is bc "you never know." I'd rather be prepared then tell my kid, "I'm sorry you're legs are killing you but we still have to walk to the bus stop and wait for the bus and then walk to our room when it drops us off. SO suck it up"

Oh. and jeremy... I never said anyone in my party was displeased with "the plan." I suggested a wheelchair for my mom. She doesn' want one bc of people like you who will judge her and think she should just "take it easy." She is very happy with the itinerary. Thank you.

Do we all see how much hostility the stroller brings? It is not nessesary. We are all going to the HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH! I am recanting my thread! My family leaves in 19 days & we can't wait!

Everyone-

Our guidelines prohibit insulting other posters. If you do not agree with another posters' personal choices, that's fine but you should keep it to yourself. If you're tempted to insult another poster, it's best to walk away from the keyboard to avoid jeopardizing your posting privileges here.

Share information, share ideas, learn from each other. But always treat each other with respect.

Thanks.

Don't your guys feet hurt when you walk around Disney all day? My feet burn and throb by the end of the day and I wear new balance tennis shoes. We don't run from thing to thing either but it's just being up and on them for 6 to 8 hours a day. Just wondering?? I guess that is why I'm more apt to get a stroller for my kids wanting to keep them from experiencing that, but maybe it is just me...hope I'm not getting that plantar faciaitus (sp?)...but it's only walking around Disney for 2 days that I get like this.

So just wondered if everyone else's feet hurt or it's just me I never read about that on the dis????

Oh my I thought it was just me too, my feet burn like HOT COALS after a day/night. Honestly, we have in the past done, Rope Drop-----through-----Wishes, & let me tell you they were burning big time! It is the worst feeling. Thank Goodness I'm not alone.

Oh but it is painful to get clipped in the ankles with a stroller! ;)

Let's remember that these parks are geared toward people of all ages and abilities. Really, you could just as easily get "clipped" by any stroller or wheelchair for that matter. And it's always lovely when someone inadvertantly steps on the back of your foot...but accidents happen, hopefully the person will apologize and excuse themselves, afterall, this is the Happies Place on Earth we are talking about here right?

As a mother of twins +1 I can tell you that having a stroller is a blessing, anywhere we go and if you choose to rent one or bring your own it is your business.

As for people renting them for the wrong reasons, you could definitely say the same for the electric scooters. Do they ask for proof that you "need" it? I have seen perfectly able bodied people on these scooters If I was going to make a fuss about something, it would be that.

Honestly, the double strollers are extremely annoying when there's so many you can't walk anywhere without getting clipped in the ankles. They make the park unbearable. I can completely understand the use of strollers for those who are young enough and those with disabilities. But when you're taking up valuable walking area with a double stroller filled with eight-year-olds and bags, its frustrating to those of us who want to enjoy our time in the parks instead of standing behind a row of strollers.

Well I do have children and totally agree with this post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter