Storm Watch: Hurricane Sandy

parrotheadlois said:
I'm afraid my father-in-law is going to be evacuated, and we'll have to go get him 120 mile round-trip in a hurricane isn't sounding like a good idea.

Go now. It's safer.

Checking in from the shore line of Rhode Island. I haven't been evacuated yet. I'm one block from the evacuation line though. The waves are big and it's pretty windy with some rain but not awful. Hope everyone else is safe!

We are safe (so far) here in Plymouth. Latest look at NWS shows the storm kind of making a big loop around us. Our local forecast is for heavy winds (50ish) late today into tonight.

I'm fortunate I retired from the power company though. I would be doing "storm duty" if I was still working.

Hunkering down....

I thought about you Jeff...I was wondering if they were going to call you out of retirement.

Nikki.........those are some scary pictures. :guilty:

We are hopefully just going to get the edge of the storm, but they are still saying 50 mile an hour sustained winds and flooding, which is making me nervous enough, I can't imagine being closer....sending good thoughts to everyone!

Thank you for all the updates. I came to Disneyland to celebrate my birthday and am now stuck very far away from my 20-year-old cat, who will have to ride out the storm on his own. I wish I were home.

Winds really picking up here in Bergen county.
The next 24 hours are going to be critical.

So far, so good in Bel Air, MD. Our beach resort, Ocean City, however is not fairing as well. The fishing pier was taken out early this morning. It also appears that many of the popular local businesses are experiencing extensive damage. Those who decided not to evacuate have been instructed to shelter in place. They've already told us that the worst of it won't be until over night tonight and early tomorrow morning. Praying for all those in the storm's path.

lisatav said:
Checking in from the shore line of Rhode Island. I haven't been evacuated yet. I'm one block from the evacuation line though. The waves are big and it's pretty windy with some rain but not awful. Hope everyone else is safe!

We're in RI also, I'm not expecting anything major -but the beaches are going to take a beating at high tide tonight around 8. I don't foresee any forced evacuations. Good luck to everyone on the coast in NJ, looks like it could be a rough afternoon/evening. ....I'm wondering how NYC is going to make out with the combo of fll moon and high tide at the height of this thing.

As health care providers we thought we'd have to work today and tomorrow. My husband had to go in this morning to do emergency surgery but came right home afterwards. I had a teaching morning (which was cancelled) and my office hours this afternoon were cancelled. So we're holed up at home with the kids. I traded kids with our across the street neighbor so I have 3 boys and she has 2 girls (her husband is working from home so she chose the quieter ones! :lmao: ).
Most, if not all, of my elective surgery schedule is cancelled tomorrow. I work in the Bronx and there will be no public transportation and many roads are already closed. Neither of us is "on call" right now. So we'll hope that the power stays on as long as possible. We live slightly inland so we don't have coastal flooding issues.
My parents live one block up from Long Island Sound but it's straight uphill so I think they'll be safe (they weren't evacuated because of the hill).
I'm thinking of everyone else affected by the storm. Stay safe! Be smart!

Amanda

We're also lucky to live in a neighborhood with lots of kids so if Halloween is cancelled we'll invite everyone over for a Candy Hunt! I have bags and bags of candy for them!

Amanda

Just heard...

- NJ Parkway and Turnpike have closures in spots and more are coming

- EVERY school in NJ is closed

- The storm has been upgraded to cat. 2 and might go to 3

What blows my mind is how 25% of people in Seaside have stayed.

Still strengthening. Winds now 90 mph at the center. Starting to rain a little bit here. Several branches down but at least we still have power.

I think Modern Family has taken the crown with their Halloween episodes.

What are your favorites?

The recent Office episode had the best costume! Oscar dressed in a dinosaur costume as the Electoral College. :happytv:

ETA: There's also "Sl*ty Pumpkin" (How I Met Your Mother) and of course It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

I can't see Nikki's pictures from work, but maybe that's a good thing! :eek:!

Please stay safe! Thanks all for checking in & letting us know how it's going! I'm keeping good thoughts for you all!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter