Storm Watch: Hurricane Sandy

Our night was nothing compared to NY, NJ! Wow, can't believe what I'm seeing on the telly. Hope everyone is safe...and those who haven't checked in here yet are okay. Sending good thoughts and prayers out. Take Care All. :grouphug:

As far as I can tell, we're good in the Hartford area. The shoreline has lots of flooding damage, there are lots of people without power, and lots of trees down. I believe we've had two deaths in CT.

8138301469_a4e8d8a53b.jpg

8138310223_198940bdf1.jpg

source

Rochester, NY survived just fine. Over 24,000 are without power, mostly along the lake Ontario shoreline. The winds were deafening so I can't imagine what it was like closer to the ocean.

Hope everyone is well. I cannot believe that we still have power.....over 90% of my surrounding towns in Fairfield County are without power. I have never seen trees bend and sway as they did yesterday. What was the scariest for us was that the brunt of the winds happened as nightfall fell. Not seeing anything was very creepy.

Thankfully we're all OK and no injuries or deaths have been reported in our immediate area. Unfortunately, that's not the case everywhere.

Be safe everyone!

My thoughts and prayers to go out to everyone affected by this storm...where I live we did ok...some damage in the beachfront areas, lots of flooding...but very few power outages....we got lucky and we know it. For those whose areas are flooded...please listen to the officials and don't go out until it's safe....

Nikki, that just sounds horrific! I'm so sorry to hear of all this destruction.

I hope you're doing OK.

Prayers to everyone who has been & will be affected by this horrible storm.

Sayhello

The Richmond, Va area came through unscathed. We had alot of rain the last 24 hours and howling winds last night. But my house didn't lose power, no trees were downed. We were lucky.

My inlaws are in Milford, DE about 20 minutes from Rehoboth Beach. They stayed through the storm b/c they are inland and were not evacuated. They said their area is a mess. Trees are down, lots of flooding. Many roads are closed and the Bay Bridge is closed as well.

My prayers go out to all the East Coast areas that were devastated by Sandy.

Our area just south of Lake Erie in Pennsylvania is holding up alright. A couple of valley towns are flooded from all of the rain and crews are still clearing out trees, but the local school system decided to stay open despite the 50mph wind gusts (it's never made very smart decisions based on the weather). One fire and two deaths but they're still investigating if the weather had anything to do with them plus high waves along the Erie shoreline right now. The power kept flickering off and on while my sister and I stayed up to watch and keep family, friends and DIS-ers in our thoughts. We'll be praying for speedy recovery for everyone.

Checking in :thumbsup2

Very fortunate! Howling winds- but all the trees in our yard (and from what I can tell, all our neighbors too). Had a few flickers but never lost power. I sent a big THANK YOU to Atlantic City Electric on facebook this morning. They did an amazing job! (and are still working hard out there)

My son in the next town over (Mt Laurel) has had no power since about 5pm last night. Doing OK though. I cannot reach my parents. I spoke with them last at about 9pm and everything was OK. Now all their phones, cell included, go straight to voice mail. They're in Barnegat, NJ- just west of LBI. I'm pretty certain they lost power overnight. My sister is in southern Delaware and did just fine- still has power too! My cousins in Atlantic Highlands lost power, but everyone is OK. My uncle's house in Oceanport is flooded. It's built on stilts right on the edge of the marshes, but they got water in the first floor anyway. They are in West Palm Beach at the moment- coming home tomorrow if the airports open.

Verizon Wireless seems to be having quite a few issues today. Probably a combination of misdirected cell towers and over use of the system with everyone calling everyone else to check in.

Now we have to eat all the storm food I bought! And we have buckets and tubs full of water! But I am so thankful we came through OK. I had visions of clearing downed tress for days/weeks to come.

My heart goes out to all those who were not so fortunate. Still lots of people without power or heat (at least it's not freezing cold yet- temps in the 50's isn't too bad at all!!). I will keep all the utility workers in my thoughts as they work overtime to get everyone back to normal.

We open our clinics back up tomorrow and are adding a few extra so we can get kids in as soon as possible. Gotta get back to work now. I'll keep watching for more people to check in. :hippie:

Mt husband and I faired fine except for the roof leak. Philadelphia in general got very lucky the surrounding suburbs don't appear to have though along with most of the Jersey coast. The pictures and stories coming out of NY are scary and sad though hoping it's not worse than what I'm seeing on the news.

Good thoughts to all affected by this storm.

Anyone heard from Nikki? I have been worried about her.

I hope everyone is doing ok.

I did get in touch with Nikki. She is safe. Cold but at home.
Keep her in your prayers. She says its really bad.

I finally heard from my Aunt and Uncle who live not far from Seaside Heights, NJ. They evacuated to my cousins house and everyone is safe. They even have power now.

Their house survived the storm with minimum damage so they are happy about that.

I've just seen pictures of what is left of the boardwalk at Seaside and it's sad to see it so decimated. I spent summers going there with my Grandparents. My Grandmother was a whiz at the games at loved playing them.

We are all OK here.

The real heroes of NYC last night have to be the staff at NYU, Bellevue and Palisades Hospitals that evacuated every patient in the dark, down the stairs and to other hospitals after all of their backup generators failed.

Also, Cory Booker in Newark who spent the entire night driving around Newark trying to convince people to move to safety.

Glad you are OK!

So true- I have worked in pediatric hospitals for 30 years now. We always "prepare" for possible evacuations, but you can never really know until it is happening. I saw some coverage on ABC news- they just finished a 15 hour evacuation process at NYU. The care teams are trained to do this. They did a great job!!

Gold Medals for everyone!! :worship:

And I have to add "YAY Cory Booker!!" He is amazing! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter