Star Wars: The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

Well, I wasn't really leaning toward her stealing or taking on his powers, more along the lines of "downloading" or self-teaching through his memories and training, thus instantly improving her saber skills.

Here are my thoughts on the Kylo/Rey fight scene. Kylo IS defeating Rey even while he is injured, right up to the point of pushing Rey off of the cliff. However, Rey and Kylo lock eyes and we hear what I call the "force" music. I believe it is at this point that Rey is looking into Kylo's mind and possibly taking away some Jedi training skills, because immediately after that is when the tables turn. Thoughts?

Ties it a bit to when they locked eyes when she was bounded and he was trying to get the details of the map out of her

I think less her "downloading" skills from him and more that it makes her focus on the force inside her/gives her strength to fight back.

Also, after seeing the movie again I have less issue with her beating Kylo as he is injured to start and has just fought with Finn and clearly she has great Force power within her

I do still have a bit of an issue of Finn getting much offense in on him - unless it comes out that Finn is Force sensitive as well. Maybe have him get in a lucky shot or something as Kylo is just toying with him, but seemed like too much of an even fight for a person with the Force who has been trained (both by a Jedi and a Sith) vs a normal person with no lightsaber training

I do still have a bit of an issue of Finn getting much offense in on him - unless it comes out that Finn is Force sensitive as well. Maybe have him get in a lucky shot or something as Kylo is just toying with him, but seemed like too much of an even fight for a person with the Force who has been trained (both by a Jedi and a Sith) vs a normal person with no lightsaber trainin
I think there is a STRONG possibility that Finn is force sensitive. Finn is seemingly at least partially based on the Legends character Kyle Katarn. A human male who was a stormtrooper that switched sides to join the rebellion, who discovered that he was force sensitive. Oh and he also wore an jacket pretty similar to the one Finn now wears.

One thing that people are forgetting about the fight between Kylo and Rey is that Kylo had taken a blaster shot in the leg from Chewbacca. They showed him favoring that leg a little bit, but it would have been better if they had consistently shown it. It makes sense that the injury would have given Rey a big advantage, they just didn't choreograph the sword fighting well enough to get that across.
It wasn't his leg that was shot, it was his right abdomen. Which is why he repeatedly hits himself there before the fight begins, and when there is a pause in action during the fight.

Last edited:
I would say this was my favorite Star Wars movie to date. Had so much fun watching it with my girlfriend and would love to see it again in theatres. If I had the money I would love to purchase a Sideshow Collectible figure of the new Stormtrooper cause that new design is awesome :)

I saw this movie again yesterday before it completes it's run in the 4K IMAX theater near us. Yesterday I was even more swept up in it then the first time. I'm also thinking that Rey may not be Luke's daughter after all now that I've seen it the second time. I think she may be Obi-Wan's daughter, grand daughter or other relation. I also think the reason that Luke is in hiding may be because he's also fighting a conflict himself over the Light or the Dark Side. It's another reason why Snoke may be trying to find him. Thoughts anyone? I wish DU would do a show discussing this movie though. I would really enjoy that!

I can't read everything and my time is at a premium lately but I thought I would like to throw in a few points.

Kylo Ren - Not only is Kylo wounded in his fight with Rey, but remember that he is very emotional and not in good control of himself. He stopped a bolt from a blaster without effort for an extended period of time at the beginning of the movie, but then has difficulties and even loses a fight later. This isn't a problem with the movie, this is consistent for the character. When surrounded by storm troopers, confident, and in control he has great power, but when suffering doubt, fear, or things aren't going his way then he loses the focus the force requires.

Rey - I hear so much complaining about Rey not having been trained. This couldn't be further from the truth! There is no better training than being placed in life threatening situations where you must act or die. Especially with latent force powers. Luke was a spoiled farm kid who started learning about the force without having been placed in any real one-on-one life threatening situations. Rey, on the other hand, already having fight training must fight or die. Fear, adrenaline, applying great effort would all legitimately bring forward her powers. She flies the Falcon, but remember she knows ships - HAS flown in the atmosphere (She says so when she says she's never flown in space), she struggled at first, and then had help from the force. And as someone already mentioned - in her battles with Ren, he is giving her the most direct intense training you can get. He gets in her mind and she is scared to death (great acting by the way) and struggles to resist and learns to resist and invade his mind. He taught her. After this encounter with Kylo she can, after several attempts, manipulate a stormtrooper. This same principle applies to the lightsaber battle. Where she didn't fight particularly well, btw. She learns from him while he is wounded, lacking concentration, and suffering doubt.

All makes sense to me. Of course, I've seen it 6 times now. But since it is episode 7 I will just have to see it once more. At least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter