Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** January 15-18, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you were looking for more rare disney characters in SW outfits, but were you able to get some pics in?
Yes, I was. I stopped for a photo with the Star Wars Rebels characters in DCA during the 10K and got a photo with the Jedi Masters in Disneyland during the 1/2, and got a few photos with the incredible cosplayers between miles 8 and 9. Loved Vader with the Imperial guards and stormtroopers, Chewbacca, and the C-3PO. I toyed with the Luke and Leia line by the Mark Twain, but wanted to save that 15 minutes for other possible characters. It paid off between miles 8 and 9. And I was able to get a photo of Chip and Dale as ewoks at the finish as I wrapped it up. Yes, I would have loved to have Mickey and friends in Star Wars costumes along either course, but I'm happy they were at the finish line in those costumes for the 1/2. That was enough for me. I passed on many Star Wars character photos in the parks because I've gotten them before at Star Wars Weekends.

All in all, this has been my most enjoyable runDisney event yet. Hoping for bigger and better next year.

Yes, we did get a medal but I did not want it... I tried to refuse but they made me take it..... I did not feel that I earned it since I did not finish... but admittedly I am very competitive and super hard on myself.

I probably will never run a race again. This was a one shot deal. I had never ran a race before this one and I don't want to run one again.

First you should be SO proud of yourself for trying your first half AND making it 9 miles! You got injured on the course. It happens to even experienced runners. Dont be too hard on yourself. I hope you decide to give it another try one day!

I had such a blast this weekend! Really liked the course for both the 1/2 and 10k and loved the new backstage part we saw at the beginning of the 1/2. Only thing I could see might be bad about the 1/2 course is the middle part if it's warm, b/c there wouldn't be much room for shade. Loved the *** players along the course, did anybody see the little storm trooper kid? Adorable!!

LOVED the course. The ONLY thing keeping me from saying its my favorite course is the fact that we didn't run through the castle and I personally prefer a few more disney characters rather than just the Star Wars characters. But those are super tiny things, my own preferences really. And though I do love running through the Castle, I dont think I would actually want them to change a thing about the course. It was pretty perfect IMO. I thought Star Wars might be one and done for me but that has totally changed. Its my #1 race now. I will do it every year as long as I can!

Yes, we did get a medal but I did not want it... I tried to refuse but they made me take it..... I did not feel that I earned it since I did not finish... but admittedly I am very competitive and super hard on myself. I probably will never run a race again. This was a one shot deal. I had never ran a race before this one and I don't want to run one again.

I hope you think about soon another race in the future! My first race, which was a half marathon, I inly made it to mile 7 and ended up in the emergency room. It took me 5 years to decide to do attempt another half marathon (this one) and it felt amazing to finish, especially without any medical emergency :-)

Yes, we did get a medal but I did not want it... I tried to refuse but they made me take it..... I did not feel that I earned it since I did not finish... but admittedly I am very competitive and super hard on myself.

I probably will never run a race again. This was a one shot deal. I had never ran a race before this one and I don't want to run one again.

It happens to the best of us! I hope after some time has passed, you will give it another shot. You know what they say about the best laid plans....

I was trained and ready for this. Costumes bought, tickets bought, plane tickets bought, I was SO READY. Then, 3 weeks ago, my daughter and I were playing Just Dance and I wasn't even dancing crazy or anything, but I came down on my foot just slightly off and it went SNAP and well, guess who didn't get to run the race she'd trained so hard for :lmao: All I can do is laugh at my luck because the alternative is crying and after bawling through the initial shock of breaking my foot and not being able to run, I determined there will be NO MORE TEARS! This was going to be my last distance run for a while (I recently moved to TX for a few years and hill running is not for me...hills everywhere here, can't avoid them) but I know I'll get back to at least some shorter races when I'm fully healed.

Recover, recuperate, rest, and if you end up still having the desire, give it another try. One of THE BEST feelings in the world is making a comeback that's stronger than you ever were before. And if you still determine that it's not for you and you don't care to try it again, don't forget that you at least gave it a try. That's more than most people ever do. Regardless of what happened at your race, you're amazing just for getting out there and giving it a whirl. :grouphug:

Since this is over and there isnt a board for the Disneyland Half Marathon, could I ask a few questions as I prepare myself for that.

The whole time and being swept bit absolutely terrifies me....so my first question is how in the world do people wait for those character pictures, with the lines being what they are and not have their time go over and then get swept?

I ran the Avengers 5k with DD and we were in corral C (she's 7 and seriously drags me down timewise ;)) so by the time we got to the characters the lines were crazy. I just don't understand how that would work for the timed races, but people obviously appear to wait for them.

Also, if anyone attended the Wookie Welcome Party, could you tell me IYO, if it was worth it for the price. I had 3 kids run the Kids Races and they were so disappointed that none of the actual Disney characters were out. Just the Star Wars Rebels ones that my 1 year old didn't even recognize as characters :(. I wish we had attended the party now but for 5 of us it would have been a huge chunck of change.

We ended up beginning in the last corral for the half. So our strategy was to get as close to the front of the corral as possible and plan to stop for only ONE photo. We got Chewy during the 10K, so planned on Darth for the half. The lines move pretty fast, but the balloon lady passed us while we were waiting for Darth! :eek: The bicycle pacers said the sweep point was the exit from CA, so after we got our photo, we booked it to catch the balloons before the sweep point. We did catch her, and got some good photos with her, but it was work. The remaining nine miles went fine, and we loved the 'unofficial' characters after mile eight or so.

The Wookie party was not worth the cost. It was cool to ride the couple of rides that were open without having to wait in lines, multiple times, but the character lines were ridiculously long. And the very limited selection of desserts was silly. We did however enjoy the ability to purchase a shot of vodka to add to our 'free' lemonade. :thumbsup2 It felt so sneaky!

I have to check again, but I think there were about 10000 (+ a few hundred) half marathon finishers and according to Disney, 12200 signed up. So it looks like about 2000 did not finish.

13.1 miles is not short, training takes time, months if you've never run before. Or just fast walk it the whole way. I'm not sure if anyone saw the pair of girls dressed as an AT-AT together (one was the front legs and the other was the back legs. They fast walked the whole race without stopping and finished with plenty of time to spare.

I have to check again, but I think there were about 10000 (+ a few hundred) half marathon finishers and according to Disney, 12200 signed up. So it looks like about 2000 did not finish.

13.1 miles is not short, training takes time, months if you've never run before. Or just fast walk it the whole way. I'm not sure if anyone saw the pair of girls dressed as an AT-AT together (one was the front legs and the other was the back legs. They fast walked the whole race without stopping and finished with plenty of time to spare.

And they did the full 13.1 in perfect step! We passed them at mile 12 and were just amazed. Asked how they managed to potty in that outfit - they said they hadn't yet! :eek:

Ahhhh... I loved wookiee welcome!

But I was a single adult with friends. We took turns holding places in lines while others went to get food, drinks, and rides.

I rode everything. I took pictures with all the characters except the droids and donald/goofy. Kept missing them.

The food was disappointing. For the price they need more options AND open bar. For 2 hours at $50 an hour... Yeah they needed to wine and dine us.

I paid because I knew I couldn't stop in lines during the races and experienced the huge lines at avengers b I wanted those pics!

We dressed up in costumes and were interviewed by rD too. Great fun but I think it could be better for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter