• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** January 15-18, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got swept up at mile 9 :( my first half and I was doing well pace wise. Sometime between mile 5 and mile 6 my hip/leg just went... got numb and tingly and super painful.

I had a bit of a cushion(I was keeping a 13:30 mile which is good for me LOL) and kept up okay then mile 8 did me in. I was about 30 seconds behind the balloons and tried to run but fell. I was super bummed that I made it all the way to mile 9 and then had to get on the bus of shame.

If I knew I was not going to make it I would have stopped for all the cool pictures.

I didn't expect to love this race as much as I did. The costumed characters were great; the volunteers were enthusiastic and the bands gave me a boost of energy when I needed it. I stopped for several pictures. I only wanted a hat and pin and was able to purchase both. The vendors were exactly the same as always, so no money spent there. I listened to the speakers. I thought Sean Astin was the best. You can tell he loves to run. This was supposed to be a one and done, but I think I need to rework my run Disney budget. Off to the Glass Slipper Challenge.:)

I got swept up at mile 9 :( my first half and I was doing well pace wise. Sometime between mile 5 and mile 6 my hip/leg just went... got numb and tingly and super painful.

I had a bit of a cushion(I was keeping a 13:30 mile which is good for me LOL) and kept up okay then mile 8 did me in. I was about 30 seconds behind the balloons and tried to run but fell. I was super bummed that I made it all the way to mile 9 and then had to get on the bus of shame.

If I knew I was not going to make it I would have stopped for all the cool pictures.

How's your leg now? Sounds like you gave it your all. Nothing to be ashamed about. :hug:

I'm sorry to hear that your leg kept you from finishing, but you still got yourself out there and to mile 9. That's more than a lot of people will ever even attempt.

Here's a question I have for everyone: did the mile markers seem off compared to whatever GPS you may have used on your own? I do a bit of zigging and zagging which I know can add some extra distance but I was pretty spot on for the 10K (off by less than .10) but for the half I was clocking each mile WELL in advance of the mile markers. It was driving me batty which my watch would give me another lap time but the mile marker was still a few walk/run intervals away.

I'm sorry to hear that your leg kept you from finishing, but you still got yourself out there and to mile 9. That's more than a lot of people will ever even attempt.

Here's a question I have for everyone: did the mile markers seem off compared to whatever GPS you may have used on your own? I do a bit of zigging and zagging which I know can add some extra distance but I was pretty spot on for the 10K (off by less than .10) but for the half I was clocking each mile WELL in advance of the mile markers. It was driving me batty which my watch would give me another lap time but the mile marker was still a few walk/run intervals away.

By mile marker 3 I was ahead of the mile markers a full .25. For me it remained that way until the end. But thats usually about the case for me. I've never come in right at 13.1

I've never come in at 13.1 either, but it was a much bigger gap than I was used to. Guess something was just wonky on my end.

I came in right at 13.53 miles for the race but I know I wasn't good about the tangents and I had to weave a bit.

I got swept up at mile 9 :( my first half and I was doing well pace wise. Sometime between mile 5 and mile 6 my hip/leg just went... got numb and tingly and super painful. I had a bit of a cushion(I was keeping a 13:30 mile which is good for me LOL) and kept up okay then mile 8 did me in. I was about 30 seconds behind the balloons and tried to run but fell. I was super bummed that I made it all the way to mile 9 and then had to get on the bus of shame. If I knew I was not going to make it I would have stopped for all the cool pictures.

You got out there though! And I hope you won't let this discourage you from trying another one, there are a lot of great ones that are flat also.
If I can ask, people have said that they still give a medal to those swept...is this correct?

We stumbled upon the "runner's buffet" at Paradise Pier and were pleasantly surprised to find that they had Star Wars desserts, so that filled in well enough for us.

Ooh, please share more details!

It seemed to me like there was more of a tie-in within the Resort. I believe ESPN Zone had a special mug or something, as well as a bit of a runner's menu. I think I heard someone say there was another restaurant that had something catering to the runners, but they may have been referring to the PPH. I didn't run (or really pay much attention) during Avenger's, but I definitely do not remember things like this from previous Tink's and Disneyland halfs.

Yes, we did get a medal but I did not want it... I tried to refuse but they made me take it..... I did not feel that I earned it since I did not finish... but admittedly I am very competitive and super hard on myself.

I probably will never run a race again. This was a one shot deal. I had never ran a race before this one and I don't want to run one again.

Yes, we did get a medal but I did not want it... I tried to refuse but they made me take it..... I did not feel that I earned it since I did not finish... but admittedly I am very competitive and super hard on myself. I probably will never run a race again. This was a one shot deal. I had never ran a race before this one and I don't want to run one again.

I'm sorry you feel this way! If you ever decide to do one again, Galloways Intervals are awesome! I understand what you mean about the medal also, I've always finished but my thing is not wearing a race shirt till I earn it.
It gets on my nerves to see people do that but I think it's because I feel it's bad luck, and all my pro runner friends who've ran for years always told me to earn it then wear it.
Please think about not letting this discourage you maybe even from shorter ones.

Ooh, please share more details!

It seemed to me like there was more of a tie-in within the Resort. I believe ESPN Zone had a special mug or something, as well as a bit of a runner's menu. I think I heard someone say there was another restaurant that had something catering to the runners, but they may have been referring to the PPH. I didn't run (or really pay much attention) during Avenger's, but I definitely do not remember things like this from previous Tink's and Disneyland halfs.

We were having a nightcap in the lounge on Thurs and DF noticed they were offering a buffet specifically for the runners at PCH Grill Fri and Sat night. We went on Friday and were pleasantly surprised. They had a few pastas, some veggies, salads, fresh fruit, a variety of breads and rolls. They also had fresh-carved roast beef.

For the desserts, they had wookie cookies, Darth Vader cupcakes, Yoda tarts, R2D2 mini cakes, and some sort of rum ball I didn't get a good look at.

Overall, we were very happy with the selection and convenience.

As for the other options, I know ESPN Zone had Death Star glow cubes (because we went there just to get some!) and we saw Storm Trooper mugs on sale at a few places including at the buffet.

We were having a nightcap in the lounge on Thurs and DF noticed they were offering a buffet specifically for the runners at PCH Grill Fri and Sat night. We went on Friday and were pleasantly surprised. They had a few pastas, some veggies, salads, fresh fruit, a variety of breads and rolls. They also had fresh-carved roast beef.

For the desserts, they had wookie cookies, Darth Vader cupcakes, Yoda tarts, R2D2 mini cakes, and some sort of rum ball I didn't get a good look at.

Overall, we were very happy with the selection and convenience.

As for the other options, I know ESPN Zone had Death Star glow cubes (because we went there just to get some!) and we saw Storm Trooper mugs on sale at a few places including at the buffet.

Kind of sad that there were more SW desserts at the buffet than the Wookie Party! We had the Chewy cookie, Darth Vader cupcake, and rum ball. Wish we got to see the other two that you had!

And I wish I knew about the Death Star glow cube!

Yes, we did get a medal but I did not want it... I tried to refuse but they made me take it..... I did not feel that I earned it since I did not finish... but admittedly I am very competitive and super hard on myself.

I probably will never run a race again. This was a one shot deal. I had never ran a race before this one and I don't want to run one again.

I'm sorry to hear it was a one shot deal. We've all had bad races and you got injured. I hope you decide to give it at least one more try once you are healed. It doesn't have to be anything as huge as a Disney race.

I got back late last night. I successfully completed the Rebel Challenge which was my only goal. My time for the 1/2 was my "slowest" ever, but I had more than ever before too.

Congrats to everyone who finished!!!

Hoping to write up a full race report in the next few days.

I know you were looking for more rare disney characters in SW outfits, but were you able to get some pics in?

Expo - Kim was awesome and checked on a wine glass for me when she got there on Thursday. I'm bummed they didn't make them for this or Avengers. Thanks for checking Kim!

No prob! Glad you were able to pick up some stuff. Yay for the IT band holding up!

Sorry about the injury and second what others said ~ everyone has a bad race. Don't give up yet! :goodvibes

For the 5k, I was over .10. For the 10k, I was spot on! Couldn't believe it, came up 6.20 on the nose. For the 1/2, I got 13.23. I was buzzing about 100ft or so before each mile marker and I was pretty good about taking the tangents too.

I had such a blast this weekend! Really liked the course for both the 1/2 and 10k and loved the new backstage part we saw at the beginning of the 1/2. Only thing I could see might be bad about the 1/2 course is the middle part if it's warm, b/c there wouldn't be much room for shade. Loved the *** players along the course, did anybody see the little storm trooper kid? Adorable!!

My Garmin 220 clocked it at 13.2.

I've had my eye on a Garmin for awhile, I'm going to have to suck it up and invest in one. My Mapmyrun app had me all messed up. By mile 7 it had me a full mile ahead. It finished at 14.47 miles and I know I didn't do that much weaving and bathroom breaks! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter