Something is happening near the pool!!!

drafthorsecrazy

DIS Veteran
Moderator Edit: I'm making this thread a picture only so we can see the progress of the refurb, feel free to post comments but they will eventually be moved to this thread:
Pool Refurb Discussion

===========================

Sunday morning a medium size pine tree was cut down and removed. Today we found this in its place.
DSC00342.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

This fence surrounds the area that houses the pools pump/filtration.
I quizzed the lifeguard and he said it was that start of the pool upgrade. Maybe it has begun!!!!!

Did you see the mess they are making on the other side of the lake? A castmember in the Bike Barn said they were adding new sites. I was looking for the pool upgrades and wasn't expecting the complete demolition near the lake lol.

Indeed! :goodvibes

^I thought that one was funny. :rotfl:

I took these all Wednesday (1/14). I'm not sure when they started, but I know they really revved it up yesterday! My peaceful day of birds chirping was interrupted by the occasional chainsaw. :worried:

This construction is going on near the 600 loop, near the Meadow's Outpost. According to the lady at the bike barn, they are extending the 600 loop towards the Outpost along the lake.

Wow! Thanks for the pics! They are really going to town!

Indeed! :goodvibes

^I thought that one was funny. :rotfl:

I took these all Wednesday (1/14). I'm not sure when they started, but I know they really revved it up yesterday! My peaceful day of birds chirping was interrupted by the occasional chainsaw. :worried:

This construction is going on near the 600 loop, near the Meadow's Outpost. According to the lady at the bike barn, they are extending the 600 loop towards the Outpost along the lake.

Is the 600 Loop closed also?? I'm wondering if they are going to do the "premium" site conversion to the rest of the loop at the same time??

Yesterday I stopped by the pool around quitting time, hoping all the workman would be gone for the day. I "may" have opened a door that said for castmembers only to get these updates.
DSC00350.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

Can't tell much, but it looks like they have dug a small hole and are laying block.

My best guess (worth appx $0.02) is that this is the end of a trench to bring water lines to the new splash zone and there will be dedicated pumps installed here for that purpose. It would make sense to install new pumps in this area. The batter boards make me think they are preparing to string lines (to site the trench?). I think the block is just there to weigh the fence down.

I think the block is just there to weigh the fence down.

Yep, that's what the block is for. I've got a picture of the inside of a construction wall at Epcot and lots of cinder blocks in there:

100_0396.jpg

Most of the 600 loop was open, with the exception of the sites closest to this construction. A different loop was completely closed for the site conversion (I believe it was the 1300 loop). I snuck over to it to use the bathroom facilities (nice and empty!) and see about writing my initials in the new concrete. :rolleyes1 Unfortunately, my fear of the golden mickey robots coming to attack me and the concrete already being set thwarted my evil plans.

Great photos everyone!!!! Looks like things are really happening!! I spent the day at AK and HS today, and wish now I had taken time to visit the Fort.

I read this on a website about the upcoming changes to Ft. Wilderness:

Walt Disney World guests since 1971 is receiving some enhancements. As part of a resort-wide renovation project, on now, changes are coming or already in place across the 700 acres of Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.

"Over the last 37 years, the average length of an RV has increased by 27 feet," says Fort Wilderness spokesperson Darcy Cormier. "Many feature 'slide outs' that mechanically extend from the sides of the vehicle."

To address the needs of today's larger vehicles, an intensive effort will widen and lengthen the concrete parking pads while maintaining privacy and tranquility provided by natural vegetation. A new "Premium" campsite will be available that features extra large concrete pads for larger vehicles -- also upgrades to existing amenities such as picnic tables and grills.

The main pool at Fort Wilderness will be enhanced with a themed water slide, hot tub and children's wet play area. The pool's deep end has been made shallower.

Nestled in the woodlands, the resort's 409 Wilderness Cabins feature brand-new furniture, carpeting, fixtures and linens -- plus a fresh coat of paint. Each spacious cabin features more than 500 square feet of air-conditioned living space as well as a private patio deck with a charcoal grill and picnic table. The master bedroom sleeps four with a full-sized bed and set of bunk beds, while the separate living room sleeps two with a full-sized pull-down bed. All cabins also feature vaulted ceilings, color cable television, DVD player, telephone and a spacious oval dining table. Daily housekeeping service is provided to all Wilderness Cabins.

"With all of the comforts of home, the Wilderness Cabins are perfect for guests who want to wind down in a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere after a fun-filled day at the theme parks," said Jean Gallagher, general manager of Fort Wilderness.

Fort Wilderness has always been the pet-friendly choice for guests to Walt Disney World Resort, and now dogs are getting a playground of their own at the newly opened Waggin' Trails Dog Park, an off-leash play area.

Of course there is plenty of recreation for humans, too, including horseback riding, fishing excursions, nature trail exploration, boat rentals, volleyball, tennis, bike rentals and the new Wilderness Back Trail Adventure, where guests can experience, first-hand, a Segway X2 Personal Transporter. Guests can unwind on a white sand beach, play a leisurely game of shuffleboard, take the little ones on a pony ride or enjoy an evening horse-drawn wagon ride around the resort.

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground is located in the Magic Kingdom resort area on the banks of Bay Lake. Convenient boat transportation to Magic Kingdom and motorcoach transportation to all Walt Disney World destinations, including Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom, is provided.

-- Posted April 14, 2008

"Over the last 37 years, the average length of an RV has increased by 27 feet," says Fort Wilderness spokesperson Darcy Cormier.

-- Posted April 14, 2008

Maybe it's just me (because I review technical documents for part of my work), but I'd like to see the source for that information for increase in RV length. Maybe a larger population of trucks with travel trailers vs. Class C motorhomes? Even the new Tiffin Zephyr maxes out at 45 feet in length. I could see maybe an increase of 10 to 15 feet, but 27 for an AVERAGE seems like skewed data.

Mebbe I need to lighten up and go get another cup of coffee :coffee: . Glad to see that they are investing in Fort improvements either way. Wondering how making the deep end of the pool "shallower" is an improvement?

Maybe it was a typo in the original article. Perhaps is was supposed to have read that the average size of a motorhome increased TO 27ft and not BY 27 ft.

That certainly would make more sense to me.

Donnie posted a link to some photo's from a couple of weeks ago...any new photo's anyone???

Or a webcam...lol:happytv:

WOW!! It's barely recognizable!! They are really busting on this one.

Thanks for the pictures, it seems that they are really moving quickly. I wonder why they cut down so many trees.

It's looking good. My family and I check-in on March 12th so I am crossing my fingers we don't hit any delays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter