Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

The Drive

Our trip began on Friday December 12, but let me start with some background information. I was supposed to be at a conference Thursday through Saturday, so I was about 2 ½ hours from home Friday morning. I attended the conference until about noon before I returned home.

Once I got home, I hauled all of our luggage out into DW’s Suburban and packed everything away as stategically as possible. I really put the old Tetris skills to good use. This is what I ended up with.

20141212_143614.jpg

DW said that MiL and FiL only had 3 bags, so I thought we were in great shape. Everything was packed and we had plenty of room.

I headed into the house and went to bed to get a few hours of sleep. DW coaches cheerleading at a high school and she had to leave that evening to help with her cheerleaders for a basketball game. Before I went to bed, I told her our plan was to leave at around 8… and I subsequently set my alarm for 8pm.

Between you and me, 9pm was my real target departure time anyway. :thumbsup2

MiL and FiL were coming over to watch the kids while I slept and DW was at the school. They brought over some pizza so we could all grab a bite before hitting the road. I woke up after a few hours of sleep and took a shower to wake myself back up. I headed downstairs, ate the last 2 slices of pizza and grabbed a Mtn Dew thinking that everyone else was ready to go and waiting for me.

Yeah, that’s what I get for thinking. I didn’t know what the hold up was, but DW had to do something before we could go. I asked MiL if I needed to load their bags, but she said that had already been done. Great! Nothing to do but sit around and wait… :rolleyes:

The kids at this point are running around the house going absolutely crazy. DS knew as soon as I woke up we were leaving for Disney World, so he was just bouncing off the walls and ready to get rolling.

At around 8:45, DW finally walks into the kitchen.

With 3 more bags.

In addition to what I’d already loaded.

“I thought we were done loading the car?!?”

“Well, I couldn’t pack the things I wasn’t done with yet.”

Then that wasn’t “everything,” was it??? :headache:

FiL and I went outside and finally managed to find small spaces to eventually cram everything in. I was a monumental task. I was literally holding things from falling out the back while shutting the hatch and pulling my hand out at the last second.

We hit the road at 9:04 so it definitely paid off that I told DW I wanted to leave at 8. Hmmm… maybe I should have used that trick more on this trip. Hindsight is 20/20. :rolleyes2

We headed south on I-65 with the GPS showing me an ETA of 11 am at Art of Animation. I knew we’d be making stops along the way, but I was feeling pretty good for my noonish target arrival.

Until we hit Louisville. Kind of funny that I'm typing this as I watch Louisville get destroyed by Georgia in the Belk Bowl. Serves 'em right. :lmao:

I knew there was construction near the river. I thought that it wouldn’t be too bad at around 10 or 11 pm. There I go trying to think again. Never pays off.

A few miles north of Louisville, my GPS started to alert me there was about a 5 minute backup ahead of me. Ok, I didn’t expect it to be completely clear and smooth sailing. Still not too bad.

As we get closer the delay time started growing. By the time I got within a few miles of the Ohio River, I-65 was a parking lot. :headache:

As it turns out, they chose that evening to hang some new road signs over the top of the interstate. As the highway crossed the bridge, traffic was being merged from 3 lanes down to 1. By the time we passed the road crew, that ETA display had changed from 11:00 am to 11:45 am. Nothing like being delayed 45 minutes before you even get a mile out of the state. :headache:

The rest of the night went relatively well. We were about 5 hours into the drive before we stopped for gas in Tennessee. The kids had slept well. The adults who weren’t driving got some shut eye too.

Unfortunately, the kids had no interest in sleeping after we stopped. We put Planes in the DVD player, and DS eventually faded out, but DD was having none of it. She wanted to be held. I ended up pulling off the highway just north of Atlanta at a McDonald’s. DW thought she could hold DD for a bit and get her to sleep.

It didn’t work.

But it did get her calmed down enough that we could strap her in and continue. Before we got a mile down the road, both kids were once again sleeping.

I think everyone slept through most of Georgia, but MiL and FiL were both awake just after sunrise. I asked if they needed to stop and when they said no, I told them we’d just keep driving until the kids woke up or we got to Lake City, FL, whichever came first.

We ended up rolling into Lake City… at maybe 10 am? I didn’t write it down, but I just wanted to get out and stretch my legs. We went to Cracker Barrell there, even though I knew it would delay us even longer than we wanted. I thought it would be a good idea to get everyone out of the car for a while. And it might help to have a really filling late breakfast that could possibly get us through lunch time without having to find something to eat later on. We filled our stomachs, filled the gas tank and we were on our way.

We ended up rolling onto Disney property well after our target of “noonish”. It was closer to 2 pm. The kids were going absolutely batty from being trapped in the car for so long. I think MiL had gone loopy too because she was sitting behind me taking pictures of flowers and orange trees as we drove by.

I don’t have her camera, but I’d imagine she has approximately 400,000 pictures from our arrival day that are just green blurs.

We exited the highway behind an SUV pulling a UHaul trailer. I made a comment to FiL that I’m glad we didn’t need one of those.

We were following the trailer down the road and I could see this beautiful sight up ahead.

(taken from our 2012 trip because nobody got a picture this time)
8269882776_ec8fc30ed4.jpg

All of a sudden the vehicle in front of me with the trailer slammed on the brakes and swerved into the left lane. By the time I could see why, I had to follow their evasive maneuver.

Some idiot stopped in the right lane and had his door open, standing in the middle of the road taking a picture.

Right next to one of those little signs that say don’t stop to take a picture.

Oh well, at least this means I’m on Disney property. I can’t be too mad. I just honked my horn as I drove past.

Look, kids. A deer! :rolleyes1

Hi Andy!

I haven't followed any of your trip reports, but I'm a big fan of your comments on others'

Great title (I think)!

I'm in. Not to be confused with You're In.

:goodvibes

:welcome: Thanks for joining. Definitely a familiar name, and I'm glad you stopped by. :thumbsup2

I'm here!!! A couple of days late, admittedly, but I'm excited to follow along on your trip!

Ugh - travel days are the worst! But the guy who stopped in the middle of the road, GOT OUT, and took pictures? Holy cow!!!! :eek:

Between you and me, 9pm was my real target departure time anyway.

I have to use that trick on myself!

All of a sudden the vehicle in front of me with the trailer slammed on the brakes and swerved into the left lane. By the time I could see why, I had to follow their evasive maneuver.

Some idiot stopped in the right lane and had his door open, standing in the middle of the road taking a picture.

Right next to one of those little signs that say don’t stop to take a picture.

:scared1: that is INSANE!

Oh that drive sounded painful all around but I am totally cracking up at the 400,000 blur pictures that MIL may have taken. That the holding things in while trying to close the back of the car. BTDT!

Gosh the kids look big in that picture with the tree!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I'm one to talk since I shrunk this year but wow, they are getting so big!

YAY! y'all made it to WDW! :cool1:

Glad y'all made it there safely especially with the idiot stopping in the road to take a picture. I mean, WHO DOES THAT?!? :confused3 That moron, obviously.

I'll need to remember your time trick for our upcoming Easter trip. My family of 3 is going with my sister's family of 6. :eek: My sister is never on time for anything. I always say she'll be late for her own funeral. I've already decided that I'm not even going to attempt to meet up with them in the mornings. I'll just say "text me when y'all get into the park". But, for other stuff, I may have to give her earlier meet times so that she may actually be on time. :thumbsup2

Sounds like the drive wasn't too bad. I can't believe someone stopped the car to get out and take a picture. In the middle of the highway. And it happens often enough that Disney put a sign up. Dummies.

Kudos on your Tetris skills. Although you should have expected the extra three bags. Women always pack extra things at the last minute (I say this as a woman who always packs a lot of extra things last minute - so I know what I'm talking about).

I'm going to go ahead and interject some probably unwanted advice - if you have a smartphone, you may want to download an app called Waze. It's a social GPS app where other users can report traffic & accidents, and it tracks how fast other Waze users are going - so it gives you alternate routes (sometimes on tiny side roads) that help you avoid a lot of traffic.

Stupid people ... no matter how hard you try, you just can't avoid them (although, stopping to get a picture right next to a sign saying not to stop to take a picture is a special level of stupidity).

At least you made it, even if you were late. It may have been 2 pm, but it was 2 pm AT DISNEY!!

Hey Andy, thanks for the bat-signal! Just marking my place. I've had limited DIS time this week but will be back to catch up.

Sounds like the drive wasn't too terrible, all things considered. So hard to believe those idiots who stop in the middle of the road for pictures of the sign. :sad2: I get being excited, but come on!! Looking forward to more.

I'm so guilty of bringing out extra bags to put in the car when everything is already packed :blush: Never trust us when we say 'everything' is packed ;)

I also do the same thing as you. I told DH we needed to leave by 9am tomorrow, when my target time is 10am. It's always worked, and hoping our method won't let me down tomorrow :thumbsup2

What the heck?! That guy is such an idiot :furious:

Like your tetras skills. Hope mine are working at about 2 am.
Great looking family. Can't wait to hear more about the trip and the story related to the title. I'll be away from the DIS for the next few days(although I may try to post a few pictures on facebook and on my PTR.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND READERS!!party:

Great looking family. Can't wait to hear more about the trip and the story related to the title. I'll be away from the DIS for the next few days(although I may try to post a few pictures on facebook and on my PTR.

Well, despite the little later start than you wanted, and the traffic jam, you didn't do too bad. Stopping for a lunch and stretching out was a pretty good idea.

Seriously? Really? What the heck are people thinking? They stopped, got out of the car and took a picture? Talk about stupid and dangerous to all around.

But you are at Disney and that is a great thing.

Wishing you and yours, a very

Ugh, construction is such a pain to have to deal with while traveling. 45 minutes is a long delay. At least it was knocked out early and there wasn't any more along the way.

Ahhh, Lake City...Landon and I are best friends with the Chick FiL A in that city. That's our halfway spot between home and Disney, and we stop there every trip. It's not a bad place to take a break...

I don't envy you the "the kid is OVER the car seat" problem. They have no idea why they can't sit in mom or dad's lap, and there's nothing much you can do besides park somewhere for a bit.

A person was out in the road?!? What the what?!? Who would even think that was remotely safe. I've seen a million people ignore the sign and slow down before, but your situation takes the cake. How crazy...
Your National Lampoon reference was completely justified.

I never tell Fran the "real" time we're supposed to leave! :thumbsup2

I don't know how you got that many people in that little SUV stuffed so full of all that luggage!

Sounds like a lot of PITAs, but at least you got there and some people got some sleep.

Good call to stop for a good breakfast. Getting out of the car and sitting in a place always helps the attitude. I know that I HATE sitting in a car eating a burger off my lap. Even worse is a McDonald's Breakfast Platter! Some day, I'll have to visit a Cracker Barrel. People keep talking about them in their TRs. I know they're kind of like a Denny's, Coco's or Carrows, but still I would like to try one.

At least you made it to Disney property, and that guy taking a picture stopped on the side of the road is a total IDIOT!

Hi Andy! Willow and I wanted to stop by and wish you a ....

All the best in 2015 to you and your family!

Once I got home, I hauled all of our luggage out into DW’s Suburban and packed everything away as stategically as possible. I really put the old Tetris skills to good use. This is what I ended up with.
20141212_143614.jpg

mmmmmm..... I dunno..... I see a few inches of empty space here and there.

DW said that MiL and FiL only had 3 bags, so I thought we were in great shape.

3 bags....

each.

Between you and me, 9pm was my real target departure time anyway. :thumbsup2

I won't tell her.... but I'm betting she already knows.

Those DWs are sneaky.

Way sneakier than us.

I woke up after a few hours of sleep and took a shower to wake myself back up.

I don't know where I read it, but I agree with it.
I'd read/heard that a shower was a close substitution for sleep.

As a shift worker, I can attest to that.

Yeah, that’s what I get for thinking.

That'll learn ya!

I didn’t know what the hold up was, but DW had to do something before we could go.

See? Toldja.

The kids at this point are running around the house going absolutely crazy.

Children going to WDW going crazy?

Who'd've guessed?

:rolleyes1

At around 8:45, DW finally walks into the kitchen.

With 3 more bags.

In addition to what I’d already loaded.

And you were surprised by this??

Silly guy.

“I thought we were done loading the car?!?”

“Well, I couldn’t pack the things I wasn’t done with yet.”

It has taken me years to learn this.
Male logic and female logic are not the same thing.

I was a monumental task.

You were??

Um.... congratulations?

I was literally holding things from falling out the back while shutting the hatch and pulling my hand out at the last second.

Leaving plenty of room for souvenirs!!!

Possibly not.

We hit the road at 9:04 so it definitely paid off that I told DW I wanted to leave at 8. Hmmm… maybe I should have used that trick more on this trip. Hindsight is 20/20. :rolleyes2

:rotfl:

We headed south on I-65 with the GPS showing me an ETA of 11 am at Art of Animation. I knew we’d be making stops along the way, but I was feeling pretty good for my noonish target arrival.

Uh, huh.

If my GPS says 11am, I'll hope to get there by supper time.

Until we hit Louisville. Kind of funny that I'm typing this as I watch Louisville get destroyed by Georgia in the Belk Bowl. Serves 'em right. :lmao:

Belk Bowl?
Is that like a big elk?

As we get closer the delay time started growing. By the time I got within a few miles of the Ohio River, I-65 was a parking lot. :headache:

D'oh! Oh, well. At least you can have a nap now, right?

As it turns out, they chose that evening to hang some new road signs over the top of the interstate.

Happened to me after about 14 hours of driving.
Pulling into Chicago around 1am, looking forward to stopping for the night....
Nope.
Add another hour onto the trip.

Nothing like being delayed 45 minutes before you even get a mile out of the state. :headache:

:laughing: Talk about putting a damper on the trip!

Unfortunately, the kids had no interest in sleeping after we stopped.

Too much excitement.

DW thought she could hold DD for a bit and get her to sleep.

It didn’t work.

But it did get her calmed down enough that we could strap her in and continue. Before we got a mile down the road, both kids were once again sleeping.

<phew>! Bet you were worried, though.

I think everyone slept through most of Georgia,

Oooh, that sounds like an insult to Georgia.
"So! What did you think of our fair State? Didja like it?"
"Nah, I was so bored I slept through the whole thing."

Actually, I liked Georgia quite a bit when we drove through it.
Of course it was daylight... That helps.

We ended up rolling onto Disney property well after our target of “noonish”. It was closer to 2 pm.

Still, not bad.

The kids were going absolutely batty from being trapped in the car for so long.

Oh boy. I'm sure everyone appreciated that too! :rolleyes:

I think MiL had gone loopy too because she was sitting behind me taking pictures of flowers and orange trees as we drove by.

I don’t have her camera, but I’d imagine she has approximately 400,000 pictures from our arrival day that are just green blurs.

Tell her she has to frame them all.

We exited the highway behind an SUV pulling a UHaul trailer. I made a comment to FiL that I’m glad we didn’t need one of those.

We were following the trailer down the road and I could see this beautiful sight up ahead.

(taken from our 2012 trip because nobody got a picture this time)

Ah. Because I was wondering where the SUV with the trailer was.

:eek: What???
I guess he figured that nobody uses that particular road....

:sad2:

Look, kids. A deer! :rolleyes1

:lmao: Love that movie!

Thanks for the chapter! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter