Soarin’ Over California Returning to Epcot Until Feb 27, 2024!

I’d love to see this version in May when we go.
I really love the world version, one of my favorite rides at EP (I know- not a popular opinion) but would love to see the OG to compare.

Really fun film aside from the fighter jet nonsense at the end.
Haha, I love that part! It was so totally CA, fighter jet/government restricted air space is always making our flights longer than they should be! Do NOT get me started on how fast our flights to Vegas SHOULD be 🤣 And the flight deck flyover in SD literally reminds me of flying into SD, you always see various military ships but you can’t get close enough to see stuff like that.

When I road it in Dec it was wonderful nostalgia, sorta wish they’d updated it with crisper images but it’s probably for the best they didn’t. Decided I would ride the CA version, even this kinda blurry one, any day over the disaster that is Soarin Over The World: historic icons doing yoga impressions

When I road it in Dec it was wonderful nostalgia, sorta wish they’d updated it with crisper images but it’s probably for the best they didn’t. Decided I would ride the CA version, even this kinda blurry one, any day over the disaster that is Soarin Over The World: historic icons doing yoga impressions
It’s been stated before, but the distortion is an unavoidable consequence of having a concave screen.

Haha, I love that part! It was so totally CA, fighter jet/government restricted air space is always making our flights longer than they should be! Do NOT get me started on how fast our flights to Vegas SHOULD be 🤣 And the flight deck flyover in SD literally reminds me of flying into SD, you always see various military ships but you can’t get close enough to see stuff like that.
We love th
I agree and I also love the fighter jet part!!!

It’s been stated before, but the distortion is an unavoidable consequence of having a concave screen.

For sure. Doesn’t make it look any less cringeworthy though
I really think the only people who notice it are ones who want to notice it because they know its' there and can't not see it where as other people don't care or bother to notice it or they have seen films on similar screens in other places and it doesn't bother them, in the same way or at all.

I really think the only people who notice it are ones who want to notice it because they know its' there and can't not see it where as other people don't care or bother to notice it or they have seen films on similar screens in other places and it doesn't bother them, in the same way or at all.
I never noticed it when Soarin’ Over California. I always noticed it when Soarin’ Across the World because we were never fortunate enough to be seated in B. The curvature of the Eiffel Tower was simply too prominent to miss.

I never noticed it when Soarin’ Over California. I always noticed it when Soarin’ Across the World because we were never fortunate enough to be seated in B. The curvature of the Eiffel Tower was simply too prominent to miss.
Part of it with the original is because things weren't in the center of the screen or they speed up fottage shot at night like with the part in Los Angeles. That was apparently the practice shot done at a slower speed but because it turned out so well they decided to use it and not do another pass and instead speed up the film to what it would have been with a faster pass.

Also there is a fish eye lens in front of the projector that adds distortion to the image because of it being spread out on the curved screen. For more information about IMAX and the technology behind the films, and video for sorrain' https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX

Today is the first day of Festival of the Arts and according to the official WDW website, Soarin' Over California is still up and running (but then it is also listed through March 12, the current end of the calendar). Here's hoping it will remain at least through the end of Festival of the Arts!
Yay....We're arriving today and love the CA version, skip the world version.

I really like the original version. It's a great ride either way, but how cool that the original will be back for some people. I prefer it to the World version.

I really think the original is only superior to those who (subconsciously) like it for the nostalgia factor. As someone who never saw the original before world, world is just superior. The awkward cuts in the first alone make a big difference. I really hope they bring back World (or a new one entirely) at some point.

I really think the original is only superior to those who (subconsciously) like it for the nostalgia factor. As someone who never saw the original before world, world is just superior. The awkward cuts in the first alone make a big difference. I really hope they bring back World (or a new one entirely) at some point.
Yeah, I like both but lean towards World.

It would be neat if they could make a bunch of these, and rotate them from time to time.

I agree with this. I never rode it when it had the CA version, but have a couple times with the world. Last week I watched a video of the CA one because of reading how happy people were it was still going. I couldn’t help but think I really hope it’s back to the world when we are there in March.

It is also superior to those (like myself) who prefer the scenery and scents of California to those of the world version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter