Soarin’ Over California Returning to Epcot Until Feb 27, 2024!

I had only ever done the World version of Soarin. And I honestly love it. It’s one of my favorite attractions. I was super excited for California and excited to ride it.

But wow, it was bad. I have no nostalgic attachment for it, so it’s only my thoughts comparing World to California. The scene transitions were awkward, there were random loud noises, there didn’t seem to be many scents and the last few scenes were so blurry and shaky it was hard to even know what you were supposed to be looking at.

I was disappointed that one of my favorites wasn’t really a good ride, and I will definitely not ride it again.
Agreed - I’m glad I got to experience the California version (I‘m sure I rode it at some point when I was younger but I don’t remember), but I like World better! The video quality on CA is just so bad.

My recollection is that California didn't have the same distorted-picture problems that World does.

I enjoy World, but if you're not sitting in the exact center of the theater, the Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal look weird, to say the least.

Could anyone who's seen California recently give a heads-up on its distortion factor? Thanks!
Every show of this nature is going to have distortion around the edges based on where you are sitting. It’s the nature of a concave screen. The difference with California vs. World is just that there isn’t a tall long object like the Eiffel Tower to make it really noticeable.

Every show of this nature is going to have distortion around the edges based on where you are sitting. It’s the nature of a concave screen. The difference with California vs. World is just that there isn’t a tall long object like the Eiffel Tower to make it really noticeable.
Oh, interesting. I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info!

I rode it yesterday (11/19) Wow it brought back memories :goodvibes I am glad I got to do it & was a fun flashback. Bonus it was my BF's 1st time so now he'll get to compare it to World when it changes back.

I sat the middle section bottom row & had no distortion or motion sickness. I have sat in other spots during "World" & had distortion badly so again it's more where you are seated. Plus the theatre I was in was working properly & didn't have black holes in the screen either.

We are hoping to go in a week. What is the best way to be sure Soarin’ is still playing CA and not world Then? We will be going to Epcot just for this one attraction. Thank you!

It was fun to see California for the first time this fall. Really fun film aside from the fighter jet nonsense at the end. Smelled great!

Can't help but wonder if they will bring back World with a new film to give Epcot a "new" attraction between Tiana and whatever else happens next.

My recollection is that California didn't have the same distorted-picture problems that World does.

I enjoy World, but if you're not sitting in the exact center of the theater, the Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal look weird, to say the least.

Could anyone who's seen California recently give a heads-up on its distortion factor? Thanks!
We were there this week and definitely there was noticeable distortion (one time we were in C and the other time we were on B, as with the World version B was better for distortion but still noticeable). Trees were bent, skyscrapers bent, etc. DH had to close his eyes more times due to dizziness compared to the World version. I usually have no issues but felt a bit dizzy a few times with the California version. The picture quality didn’t seem as crisp either. We both like the World version better and will skip if California is playing again next time we go.

we really enjoyed it a few weeks ago - agree the World one feels a bit more thrilling and "crisp" in quality, but both my teen girls walked out saying that California is basically it's own planet with all those landscapes so an educational win! LOL

I was excited to ride the original California version today for the first time in years but I think this is an example remembering things with Rose colored glasses. World Soarin kicks this one's but, an improvement in every way. This was interesting for nostalgic purposes but it feels like a regression in terms of the technology.

I was excited to ride the original California version today for the first time in years but I think this is an example remembering things with Rose colored glasses. World Soarin kicks this one's but, an improvement in every way. This was interesting for nostalgic purposes but it feels like a regression in terms of the technology.
I thought it was just me - saw it two days ago in B1 - and I was like all excited about it - but it was meh - really like the world better

Bump. It's 1/2/24 I just spoke with a CM at WL and she said that Soarin over Cali is still up.

We'll be at Epcot on Thurs. Anyone have any thoughts on whether it'll still be there or switched back?

I thought it was just me - saw it two days ago in B1 - and I was like all excited about it - but it was meh - really like the world better
I feel the same way. Have seen California at DL and liked it, and just saw California at WDW yesterday. It was good, but I agree the quality felt off.

I was looking forward to the return of Soarin' Over California (and posted so on on this thread!). However, I have to admit that, after seeing the California version about 3 times now, perhaps my enthusiasm was more based on nostalgia than reality. My reaction is mixed. As others have mentioned, the quality of the film in the California version was just a bit soft...not quite as crisp as the Soarin' Over the World version. And, while I thought the California version has significantly less distortion than the World version (I can't stand the bent Eiffel Tower, Matterhorn, and Taj Mahal!), there was more distortion in the California version than I remembered. (For example, the aircraft carrier was somewhat bent.) On the other hand, I thought the scents of the orange grove and ocean in the California version were much more noticeable than those in the World version and that really added to the presentation. If I had to choose, I'd take the California version but it isn't quite the "slam dunk" that I expected it to be!

I was looking forward to the return of Soarin' Over California (and posted so on on this thread!). However, I have to admit that, after seeing the California version about 3 times now, perhaps my enthusiasm was more based on nostalgia than reality. My reaction is mixed. As others have mentioned, the quality of the film in the California version was just a bit soft...not quite as crisp as the Soarin' Over the World version. And, while I thought the California version has significantly less distortion than the World version (I can't stand the bent Eiffel Tower, Matterhorn, and Taj Mahal!), there was more distortion in the California version than I remembered. (For example, the aircraft carrier was somewhat bent.) On the other hand, I thought the scents of the orange grove and ocean in the California version were much more noticeable than those in the World version and that really added to the presentation. If I had to choose, I'd take the California version but it isn't quite the "slam dunk" that I expected it to be!
The Golden Gate bridge in the beginning is another notable example of distortion in the CA version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter