• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Smoking & stroller wagons banned May 1!

We were afraid of this. How could Disney not have put a totally separate smoking area in place by now? They've had a month to put something together! Even if it was something temporary it would have been better than just letting smokers crowd the walkway so that everyone has to go through the toxic cloud. We'll be avoiding the Harbor entrance at all costs now until we hear that things have improved.

A different perspective?
Maybe they did this on purpose so those complaints will start rolling in to GS? Then, they could say, we ban it completely! Just a thought:)

I also am remembering incorrectly then because when I was reading these boards, listening to podcasts, etc. planning for our last trip in August of 2017 I remember this being talked about. And when we were there we seen CMs clearing people out from spreading blankets and waiting along the parade routes and saying they couldn't start claiming their spots until 30 minutes prior to the parade start time. We were there right at the last few days of the MSEP so maybe it was just temporary to deal with the crowds wanting to watch it one more time?
Yes, they did start out trying to be strict and to stop people from putting down blankets at all to prevent the camping out for spots that was clogging up Main Street and creating a safety hazard. But, in the end, I think they reached a workable compromise. People were allowed to start holding spots 30-40 minutes before the parade, but they couldn't put down place holders, then leave. It worked out so much better when PTN moved to DCA. There is just so much more room on the parade route in that park.

agreed, I wonder how wide the wheelchair access gates at the main gates are - it seems like something like that would have been much more efficient than a painted box where everyone is eyeballing if something is .5" over or not

A gate would only measure one dimension. The length needs to be measured as well.

Last edited:
They should just get rid of that parking drop off zone on Harbor - it's a giant cluster F anyways. Add a wall there so smoke won't be so bad for guests walking by to get in and give them a giant smoking section. Remove the curbs and add benches.

If they really want a drop-off zone that can handle a ton of cars, they can figure something out on the other side by Downtown Disney. Doesn't make sense why Disney wants a drop off/pick up zone on Harbor. You would want people/buyers walking by shops on your way to the parks.

I'll be very interested in hearing first day reports...

I was there for day one yesterday. Only two small issues to report:

1. We sat at the former smoking area by Big Thunder Trail for about 30 minutes. It was kind of cute when a guy walked up and looked slightly confused. He walked around and checked the "No smoking" signs for a moment. Then I called out to him to ask if he needed help. He turned to us, still looking confused and said in a European accent "This was a smoking area yesterday, wasn't it?" I explained the changes that had just taken place. I think before I explained, he thought to himself "I'm sure this is the place. It looks exactly like it!" He was very nice about it.
2. We only smelled smoke once the entire day -- as we left the park. I think someone snuck a ciggie in the picnic area just outside of the park gates.

Yes, they did start out trying to be strict and to stop people from putting down blankets at all to prevent the camping out for spots that was clogging up Main Street and creating a safety hazard. But, in the end, I think they reached a workable compromise. People were allowed to start holding spots 30-40 minutes before the parade, but they couldn't put down place holders, then leave. It worked out so much better when PTN moved to DCA. There is just so much more room on the parade route in that park.

Yes, it was may understanding that the issue was with people laying out a blanket, then just leaving it unattended or having one person holding like 10 feet of curb space. The issue was not with using blankets/towels or claiming a spot (within a reasonable time frame) in general.

I also am remembering incorrectly then because when I was reading these boards, listening to podcasts, etc. planning for our last trip in August of 2017 I remember this being talked about. And when we were there we seen CMs clearing people out from spreading blankets and waiting along the parade routes and saying they couldn't start claiming their spots until 30 minutes prior to the parade start time. We were there right at the last few days of the MSEP so maybe it was just temporary to deal with the crowds wanting to watch it one more time?

I remember it being discussed here too. I do think it’s gotten better but people still camp out

Yeah it really seems like they were basically doing like a honor system of measure your own stroller, which I didn’t see anyone doing anyway. There are multiple squares on the ground leading up to security but I didn’t see any right at security.
We did hear someone asking security about the enforcement, their reply is that they were giving “a grace period and being lenient for a week or so”.
That’s great for people who are being allowed to bring their strollers in. Sucks for me since I had to listen to a lot of extra fighting over the single stroller from my kids because I decided to be a rule follower.
Also? They are now renting double strollers.

You followed the rules. I’d consider that a plus as a role model for your kids :)

I remember it being discussed here too. I do think it’s gotten better but people still camp out
Yes, absolutely. It's better but it still happens. In fact, just yesterday I saw two people that staked claims with blankets... right in the middle of Main Street. Seemed kind of uncool to essentially place an obstruction in the middle of a major park thoroughfare. I suspect CMs asked them to move. Or at least I hope so.

I'm trying to think of a location outside security Harbor-side yet on Disney property where a smoking area could be that isn't in a busy walkway, but I'm drawing a blank. City of Anaheim is NOT going to be happy if Disney tells smokers to go congregate on the city sidewalk.

I wonder if that would push Anaheim to a Palo Alto-style ban on smoking while standing still on the sidewalk. It’s rough on smokers but it’s so nice to know that I’m basically never going to walk through a cloud and start coughing.

Yes, absolutely. It's better but it still happens. In fact, just yesterday I saw two people that staked claims with blankets... right in the middle of Main Street. Seemed kind of uncool to essentially place an obstruction in the middle of a major park thoroughfare. I suspect CMs asked them to move. Or at least I hope so.

Yeah I don’t get it. I’m not a fan of the way it looks when people do that. It’s too bad it isn’t forced more. But that’s probably why people do it, because they can :(

Absolutely not. Everyone should be welcome! And I would hope that people would not tell us, a family that regularly brings infants and toddlers who can't walk all day (...or walk at all) and require a stroller, that we don't belong at Disneyland either. Disneyland of all places!

Of course everyone is welcome. And you should tailor your day to you and your family's needs.

I haven’t seen any since Tuesday. Not even in the downtown Disney area.

Great!

ETA - Are they outlawed in DTD as well? I know you have to get through security to go to DTD, but I thought the rules specifically mentioned the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter